Remember Me

YEAR: 2053

[Phil's POV]

"Dan... honey... What on earth are you talking about?"
"Once more, how do you know my name?"
"Dan, we've together for forty-four years. Why wouldn't I know your name?"
"I haven't been married for forty-four years. Hell, I'm not even twenty,"

I held my breath as tears started forming in my eyes. I started driving home, but decided not to speak. Dan just stared out the window, and refused to talk to me. Once we got home, I told Dan to come inside, and sleep on the couch. At first, he wasn't willing to do it, but then I promised him, when he woke up, we'd go look for twenty-two year old me.

The next morning, Dan woke up with a sore back, and a confused look on his face.

"Phil?" he called. "Phil!"
"Yeah?" I raised a brow. "You remember my name?"
"Why wouldn't I remember your name, you spork. We've only been together for..." he trailed off. "A while. Anyway, why did I wake up on the couch?"
"You were acting kinda weird last night, so I just had you sleep on the couch,"
"Oh, okay," he shrugged. "What's for breakfast?"
"What do you want?"
"Pancakes,"
"Coming right up," I kissed his cheek.

I headed for the kitchen, and started brewing my morning coffee. Once the coffee started pouring, I turned the stove on, and gathered all the pancake making essentials. After about ten minutes, I made a few pancakes, and set them down at the kitchen table.

"Dan! Breakfast!" I called. No response. "Dan!" I walked into the living room to search for him. "Dan, where are you?"
"Don't come near me!" he shrieked.
"What the hell is wrong with you?"
"I-I'm supposed to be at my boyfriends house," he sniffed. "This-This isn't his house..."
"Shhh, it's okay," I said. "His name is Phil, right?"
"Yeah..."
"Okay..." I didn't know what to say, or do. So, I just did my best to spit out some bullshit, and hope he'd believe it. "I'm a friend of Katherine's. She told me that Phil isn't feeling too well, and he doesn't want to get you sick. So, Katherine told me to pick you up from the train station, and told me to keep you here for a few days,"
"Oh... Okay... So, um, what's for breakfast?"
"I made pancakes... Come on," I said, showing him to the kitchen. "Sit down," I smiled. "Would you like any coffee, or tea?"
"I'll have a coffee, thanks," he mumbled.
"Okay," I sighed.

I made him his coffee, just the way he liked it. I set the whisker mug down, in front of him, and took the seat across from him. I took a few pancakes off the center plate, and started eating.

"Hey, Dan," I started.
"Yeah?"
"Could you do me a favor?"
"Can I know your name first?" he whispered.
"I'm Phil," I smiled.
"Just like my boyfriend," he beamed. "What can I do for you, Phil?"
"Okay, I'm going to tell you a series of names, and things, and I need you to tell me the first things that come to mind. Can you do that for me?"
"Yeah, I guess," he shrugged.
"Okay, I'm going to start off with names,"
"Okay,"
"Delilah," I said.
"Hey there,"
"Winston,"
"Churchill,"
"Fiona,"
"What Phil was gonna be named if he was a girl,"
"TATINOF,"
"Why on earth are you bringing that up?" Dan laughed.
"Wait, you know what TATINOF is?"
"No, you spork, I have no idea what our live stage show is," he laughed.
"Dan..."
"Yeah?"
"Are you feeling alright?"
"Yeah, why?"
"Because, I think you might be a bit sick. Um, would you mind if I took you to the doctor?"
"I feel fine, but if it'll make you feel better, I guess you can take me to the doctor," he chuckled.
"Okay, thank you," I said. "Now eat, before it gets cold."

***

"Dan Howlter!" a nurse called.
"Right here," Dan sighed.

Dan and I were led to an examination room, and we were instructed to sit down and wait for a doctor. Dan took out his phone and started playing Crossy Road; I just sat there, and stared at him, to see if he'd change again.