She's Fine

YEAR: 2032

[Phil's POV]

"Come on guys, the car is waiting for us,"
"We're coming," everyone groaned as they lugged their belongings out of the airport.
"Guys, let's go,"
"Phil, we're coming, calm down," Dan yawned.
"Hi boys," Darcy cheered as she pulled up to the airport. "Get in, let's go, I'm tired,"
"I thought your mum was picking us up," Dan said as he loaded the luggage into the car.
"She's back home, sleeping. Now come on, get in,"
"Fine. Everyone get in."

We began driving home; Dan was up front with Darcy while I was in the back with the kids. They began nodding off but since Darcy wasn't the best driver, she kept hitting hard stops and waking them up.

"Get out," Darcy sighed.
"Come on," I whispered as I helped the kids out of the car.
"Daddy," Delilah whined. "I'm tired,"
"I know honey," I sighed as I picked her up. "Come on Winnie,"
"I'm coming," he mumbled as he lugged his suitcase inside.

I struggled to put my keys in but I was eventually able to open the door. As soon as I stepped inside, I set Delilah down and told her to go to bed.

"Susan!" I called. "Winnie, I got your bags. Go to bed,"
"Thanks dad. Night,"
"Night," I pat his head and sent him upstairs.
"Susan! Here girl!" I called once more.
"Phil, help me!"
"Coming," I sighed and quickly unloaded everything from the car. "Susan!"
"Why are you calling for her?" Dan chuckled as he locked up the house.
"She normally greets us at the door,"
"She's probably sleeping Phil. Come on, let's go to bed,"
"Okay..."

***

The next morning, I woke up before Dan, and began my morning routine. I'd put my glasses on, fill Susan's food and water bowl, then head downstairs to make breakfast. I started brewing some coffee when Dan strolled down, still half asleep.

"Morning bear," I smiled.
"Shut up," he yawned.
"Have you seen Susan?"
"No. Why?"
"Here," I said as I handed him his coffee. "I'm gonna go look for her,"
"Have fun," he mumbled.

I set my cup down and began searching the house. I checked the lounge, the dining room, then I got to the office, where her bed was.

"Hey Susan," I whispered. "Hey pretty girl," I began shaking her. "Susan..." I shook her once more; she still didn't move. "Dan!" I cried. "Dan, please come here!"
"What's wrong?" he panted.
"I think Susan's dead..."
"What? No...she can't be," he frantically said. He fell to the floor and tried shaking her. "No, she's not dead," he cried. "She's fine...she's-"
"Dan! She's gone!"
"No, she's fine," he said, tears streaming down his face. "She just needs to get up...she's-"
"Dan!" I yelled as I pulled him up into a hug. "She's gone..." I hugged him tighter as we cried into each other.
"Dad, what's going on?" Winston's yawned as he walked into the office.
"Winnie," I gasped. "Get out,"
"Why? Why are you crying? What's wrong with Susan?"
"She's dead," Dan sighed as he fell to the floor.
"What?" Winston whispered as his eyes became glassy. "Does Dil know?"
"Do I know what?"
"Dil!" We all gasped.
"That Susan's dead? Yeah, I know," she sniffled. "The walls aren't exactly thick..."
"Come on...let's leave bear alone," I said with a slight crack in my voice.
"What happened to her?" Winston asked as we walked to the lounge.
"She just got old," I sighed.
"Is bear gonna be okay?" Delilah asked.
"I dunno honey..."

We sat in silence for a few minutes before Dan came put of the office; he refused to speak.

"Dan," I whispered. "Dan...Dan please answer me,"
"Bear," the kids said.
"Dan!" I yelled.
"What!"
"Go take a walk,"
"Why? What's the point?"
"You need to calm down. Go visit Louise or something,"
"Why?"
"Dan, I swear to god, just go! You're mad and upset and knowing you, you'll slip into an existential crisis. Please go,"
"Fine..." He grabbed his coat and like that, he was gone.
"I'm gonna go dig a hole...feel free to help me," I mumbled.

I trudged outside and began digging a hole in the backyard; the hole sat in the far back right corner. After a couple hours, I finally dug a hole deep enough to fit Susan's cold corpse. I sat by the hole for a few minutes and decided to text Dan.

Phil: Dan, please come home
Dan: I thought you told me to go? Make up your mind Phil
Phil: I just wanted to get you out so you could calm down. We're about to bury Susan. Come back if you think you can handle it.
Dan: I'll be there in a few
Phil: Thank you

I let out a sigh and went back into the house where the kids stared at me with worried eyes.

"You seem tired," Delilah observed.
"I am...once bear gets here, we're gonna bury Susan," I bluntly said.
"I'm back," Dan mumbled.
"Good," I said as I walked into the office. I sighed once more before picking up the old, dead, dog. "Let's go..."

The family began walking out to the back yard; we all gathered around the hole. Dan and I slowly lowered Susan in; she was covered in her favourite blanket. We all gathered around and cried; no one said a word. After a few minutes, Dan grabbed a shovel and began dumping the dirt on her.

"Dan, let me do it," I whispered.
"Leave me alone,"
"Dan-"
"Don't touch me! Go inside!"
"Dan!"
"Phil!" he snapped. "Leave me alone! Get out of here!"
"Fine...come on guys," I said. I grabbed the kids hands and led them inside so Dan could be left alone.
"Dad...is bear gonna be okay?" Winston whispered.
"He'll be fine," I said.
"Are you sure?"
"God, I hope so."

***

Later that night, Dan came to bed; I still wasn't sure what his emotions were; he was still a mixture of anger and sadness.

"Hey Dan," I whispered
"What?"
"Come to bed,"
"Why?"
"Cause it's 11 o'clock. Come on,"
"I know, I'm coming," he mumbled. He finished putting his shoes away and throwing his clothes into the hamper before he finally crawled into bed.
"Come here," I sighed as I gave him a hug.
"I'm fine,"
"You know you're not," I whispered as I planted a small kiss on the back of his head. "What can I do to make you feel better?"
"Phil, I just need some time to grieve,"
"I understand that but, I wanna help you now,"
"I don't know Phil," he mumbled.
"Hold on,"
"Where are you going?" he asked as I got out of bed.
"Be right back," I whispered. I left the room and quickly climbed into the attic. I grabbed a small box of books and eventually made my way back to my room. "I was getting these," I smiled. I began flipping through the books before I found the perfect one. "Here we are," I chuckled. "The Tales of Winnie the Pooh,"
"Phil," he smiled. "Aren't I a little old for Winnie the Pooh?"
"You're never too old! Now come on," I smirked.
"Phil-"
"Daniel James Howlter, let me read to you!"
"Fine," he chuckled. He snuggled up with me and let out a sigh. "You know I love you, right?"
"You'd never let me forget."