Cold Feet

YEAR: 2048

[Winston's POV]

Winston: hey, is it okay if I come over?
Delilah: you're already at the door, aren't you?
Winston: maybe...
Delilah: doors unlocked

"Hey!" I yelled.
"No need to yell," Delilah said. "We're right here,"

She was sitting on the couch, watching tv, with Fiona on her left, Katherine on her lap, Joe on her right, and Evan on his lap. They were all in t-shirts and sweatpants; Delilah was actually in a sweatshirt.  I joined them in the living room, with Lydia on my hip, and raised a brow at all of them.

"You guys do realize that it's 26 degrees out... Right?"
"Yeah well, the AC kicks in at 21 and it's really freaking cold right now,"

As she spoke, Katherine started crying. Delilah rolled her eyes and carried her into the kitchen so she could feed her, and calm her down. I set Lydia down, on the couch, and followed.

"So, how's the not swearing thing going?"
"It sucks," she frowned. "How's planning the wedding going?"
"It sucks,"
"Imagine having to do it twice,"
"This is my second time doing it," I said.
"Yeah but, you only got halfway through the first one then, you got drunk and got married in town hall. You didn't have to go through planning two venues, buying two dresses, floral arrangements, the food, everything. You never had to do that, until now,"
"You're right, I guess,"
"I know I'm right," she sighed. "Did you guys get the adoption papers yet?"
"Uh, yeah, we did," I mumbled. "We signed them and everything so, once she becomes a Howlter, Charlie does too,"
"Does she also, legally, become Lyd's mum?"
"Yes, she does,"
"That's good to hear,"
"Mmm..." Katherine whined.
"Is she trying to talk?" I asked.
"She's way too young for that. For gods sake, she's not even four months old, yet. She's just whining, as one does,"
"Mmm..." Katherine whined again.
"Hush, baby," Delilah cooed as she lightly bounced her and fed her.
"Can I ask why you're using formula?"
"You're kidding, right?"
"No..."
"I'm not putting my poor nipples through that,"
"I didn't need to know that,"
"Well, you asked," she sighed. "You thinking about having any more kids?"
"Not right now but, maybe later in the future,"
"Cool... I think you should... You're a great dad,"
"Thanks..."
"Does Lydia have her dress for the wedding yet?"
"No," I sarcastically said. "We're getting married in a week and she doesn't have her dress yet,"
"Sorry," she chuckled.
"Do your kids have their outfits?"
"Yeah, and they look pretty damn cute,"
"That's good," I smiled.

Jenny: hey, come home
Winston: why?
Jenny: Charlie's with my parents for the night
Winston: and?
Jenny: are your parents in town?
Winston: no, they're in Florida. They come back tomorrow
Jenny: is Louise home?
Winston: she's visiting Darcy for the next couple days. Apparently she had her first kid. I must say, good for her. She's been trying for a while
Jenny: would your sister be willing to watch Lydia?
Winston: why?
Jenny: ...
Winston: oh!

"Dil, I gotta go. Can you watch Lydia?"
"No,"
"Great, thanks, bye!"
"Fucker."

***

"Look how handsome your dad is," bear smiled as he bounced Lydia on his hip. "Y'know, you don't look to bad, yourself," he said as he tickled her stomach. 

Lydia just giggled and started pushing his hand away. I noticed, whenever she smiles, bears either starts smiling or his smile just grows.

"She looks exactly like your father when she smiles,"
"Don't compare my daughter to dad," I laughed, taking her from his arms.
"It's not a bad thing, y'know... Your father's smile is the nicest I've ever seen," he beamed at the giggling girl. "It could always light up a room,"
"Light!" Lydia cheered.
"I'm still mad at dad for making that her first word," I shook my head. "It could've been dad, or bear, or papa. But, no. It was light,"
"Light!"
"Yeah, light. Good job, honey," I smirked.
"I'm gonna go make sure everything is set up," Bear pat my shoulder and headed outside to check on everything.