A Day With Lydia

YEAR: 2045

[Winston's POV]

"You didn't need to come with me, y'know," I said to Delilah. We were driving back to York so I could pick Lydia up from the hospital.
"Well, I've never seen her. What if I want to see her?"
"You'll get the rest of your life to see her. What's the real reason you're here?"
"Just needed some time out of the house,"
"Why? Is everything okay?"
"Susan and Mika are sick... How's Buffy doing?"
"She's good. I hope Lydia likes her,"
"Me too," I smiled.
"Do you think Fiona will remember Mika and Susan?"
"Maybe... I don't know," she shrugged. "So, how's the new house?"
"It's good. Dad and bear miss the dogs,"
"They can take them anytime they want,"
"But wouldn't Fiona be upset?"
"Yeah..."
"They wouldn't do that to her,"
"I know. Oh, we're here. Make sure you park close to the entrance,"
"Why?"
"Cause my feet are sore,"
"Why? You don't do anything,"
"For your information, Winston, I got for a run every morning,"
"Yeah, yeah. No need to rub it in,"
"Oh shit, you can't play with her," Delilah whispered.
"I'm sorry?" I said as I pulled into a spot.
"You can't go swimming. You can't run after her. You can't teach her how to play football or whatever sport she fancies. You can't do anything..."
"I'll find a way. Come on," I said.

We headed for the entrance of the hospital only to be greeted by the snooty receptionist. She sat there, like always, flipping brought one of her magazines and snapping her gum.

"Hey Winnie,"
"Hi Liz," I mumbled. "Can I go in?"
"Yeah, just fill out the papers and you'll be all set,"
"Great, thanks," I said.

I took the clipboard and pen then made my way to a waiting room chair. I clicked the pen and filled out all the required paperwork; my hand kept smudging everything. I should be used to it by now but I can't help get a little angry every time an ink splotch appears on my hand. When I was done, I handed the paperwork back to Liz and made my way to the maternity ward, with Delilah by my side.

"Hi Winnie," all the nurses greeted.
"Hey guys," I smiled.
"Who's this?" they asked.
"Everyone, this is my twin sister, Delilah,"
"She's so pretty," everyone said.
"I can see how you guys are related," Nora smirked. "Same nose, same ears, same mouth,"
"By any chance, is your last name Casper?" Delilah asked.
"Why, yes it is,"
"Do you have a sister?"
"Mhmm,"
"Is her name Tabitha?"
"Yeah," she giggled. "It's nice to finally meet you. Tabitha has told me a lot about you,"
"She's never even mentioned you,"
"She never does," she laughed. "But it's okay, I'm used to it. How does Tabitha like it in Northampton?"
"She likes it a lot,"
"How are her studies going?"
"Pretty well, as far as I know,"
"That's good... Oh, Winnie, you're here for Lydia. Right?"
"Yes,"
"She's right over here," Nora said. "She passed the car seat test so-"
"What's the car seat test?"
"It's where she weighs enough and can sit in a car seat for an hour, untouched, and her blood pressure or anything like that doesn't go up or down,"
"And she passed?"
"With flying colors,"
"Well then, what are we waiting for? May I take her home?"
"Of course," Nora said as sheet Lydia in her car seat.
"Thank you all so much," I said as I hugged all the nurses. "I don't know what I would do without you guys,"
"Take good care of her for us,"
"I'll do my best," I grinned as I picked the carrier up.

I waved goodbye to everyone and walked out of the hospital with Delilah and Lydia. When we got to the car, I slid the car seat in with ease and flashed my sleeping daughter a smile.

"Give me the keys," Delilah said.
"Why?"
"Sit in the back with your daughter, spend some much needed time with her, and let me drive home,"
"Fine," I tossed her the keys and got in the back with Lydia. "Drive slowly, please,"
"I feel like you forget that I have a three year old daughter," she smirked as she started driving home.
"How's she doing, by the way?"
"She doing very well. She stopped throwing up, her hair is growing back. She's...she's doing very well..."
"That's good,"
"Thank you..."
"For?"
"Everything... My little girl wouldn't be here today if it weren't for you,"
"Yes she would be,"
"No, she wouldn't be. The doctor told me that her cancer was advancing fast than mine ever did. And, as you know, my cancer was advancing faster than a project deadline,"
"Dude, that's a horrible metaphor," I laughed.
"It's true!" she chuckled. "You saved my baby girls life and I can't thank you enough,"
"Well then, you're welcome, I guess..."

***

"We're home!" I yelled as I carried Lydia in.
"Hey!" Bear and dad yelled as we entered the lounge.
"Hey there, daddy," Tabitha teased.
"Hey tabs,"
"Um, hello," Delilah said as she hugged Tabitha. "So, you have a sister?" she asked.
"Oh god, Nora still works there?"
"Yeah,"
"Ew,"
"Don't ew her," I laughed. "She was the main nurse on Lydia's case," I said. I took Lydia out of her carrier and cradled her in my arms.
"Oh, she's too cute," dad said as he hovered over my shoulder.
"Mum, what's everyone looking at?" Fiona asked.
"The new baby," Delilah smiled. She picked Fiona up and rested her on her left hip so she can look at Lydia. "Isn't she pretty?"
"Yeah," she giggled. "Mum," she tugged on her shirt.
"Yeah, baby?"
"Where auntie Stefi?"

Everyone became silent as tears crowded some of our eyes. Delilah cleared her throat and started bouncing Fiona on her hip.

"Well, in order for Lydia here, to be born, auntie Stefi had to um, give her life..."
"What does that mean?"
"It means that she had to go to sleep...forever..."
"Oh... So, she's never coming back?"
"I'm afraid not, baby," Delilah cried.
"Don't cry, mummy. Be happy," Fiona smiled as she wiped away her tears.
"Mummy's not crying," she lied. "Hey, Joe, why don't you take Fiona home. I think it's time for her nap,"
"Okay," he whispered as he brought Fiona back home.
"I'm gonna go," Tabitha awkwardly said. "Bye Dil," she said, hugging her. "Bye Winnie," she kissed my cheek. "Congratulations..."
"Thank you," I whispered as she walked out. So, you're nothing gonna go home?" I asked.
"No... Lydia could use a motherly figure for a bit," she said, lightly rubbing her head.
"Thank you..."

***

Later that night, I handed Lydia off to Delilah while I showered and got her food ready. After I made Lydia's food, I walked into the lounge to find Delilah asleep with Lydia resting on her chest. I sat down next to her and nudged her arm; she just groaned rested her head on my shoulder.

"Woman, wake up. I need to feed my child,"
"Then take her," she groaned.

I rolled my eyes and cradled Lydia in my arms as I fed her. I slouched on the couch and let out a weary sigh.

"I miss Stef..."
"Me too..." Delilah yawned. "I'm gonna go home,"
"What? Why?"
"I kinda have me own baby to take care of,"
"Don't leave me,"
"You have dad and bear," she rubbed her eyes as she stood. "Night Winnie. I'd say call me if you need anything but, you have two, fully grown, men here who have raised us quite well so, please don't call me. Great, thanks," she nudged my shoulder. "It's been fun. Night, love you, bye."

And just like that, she was gone. I stared at the drowsy infant in my arms and cracked a small smile.

"We'll get through this, Lyd... I promise..."