The Big 10

YEAR: 2032

[Dan's POV]

"Phil," I whispered as I poked at his back.
"What?" he mumbled.
"You up?"
"I am now," he pouted as he put his glasses on. "What?"
"Do you know what today is?"
"October 19th,"
"And what happened on October 19th?"
"I don't know!"
"Phil..." I gritted my teeth.
"What?"
"Two very important things happened on the 19th...please think,"
"I'm just messing with you bear," he smiled. "23 years ago I met you,"
"And?"
"What else happened?"
"Think you spork!" I lightly smacked his head.
"Ow! I don't know!"

I rolled my eyes and gave him a quick glare in hopes that he would remember. A few minutes later, we heard a series of footsteps approach our room.

"Guess what today is!" The kids yelled as they hopped onto the bed.
"I don't know," I teased. "Phil do you know what today is?" The joking tone left my voice as I glared at him once more.
"No, I don't," he grumbled.
"Daddy just needs his coffee," I teased. "Happy birthday guys," I quickly grabbed them into a hug.
"Happy birthday," Phil mumbled. "I'm getting coffee," he sighed and walked downstairs.
"Why isn't dad excited?" Delilah asked.
"He's really tired," I hugged them tighter. "So, what does it feel like to be in the double digits?"
"I feel old!" Delilah dramatically said as she fell backwards on the bed.
"You're not 41," I rolled my eyes.
"Oh yeah," she laughed.
"Look, on the bright side...none of us are 45,"
"I can hear you!" Phil yelled. "Come on! Breakfast is gonna get cold!"
"Go," I smiled.

I climbed out of bed a few minutes later and walked downstairs.

"Bear," Phil mumbled as he handed me a cup of coffee.
"Thanks lion," I gave him a quick kiss.
"Ew," the kids scoffed.
"Oh shut up," I smiled. "One day you guys are gonna fall in love with someone, have a couple of kids, and tease them the way we tease you,"
"We know," the chuckled.
"Who wants to flip a pancake!" Phil cheered.
"I do!" They both ran to the stove.
"Be right back," I set my mug down and went into the other room the grab the Polaroid camera. "Alright go," I smiled.
"You are so embarrassing," Phil teased. "Alright Winnie, ready?"
"Yeah!"

Phil handed the lukewarm pan to Winnie so he could try to flip his pancakes. Phil pulled out his phone to take a video while I snapped pictures with the camera.

"Guys," he blushed.
"Come on, just flip it," I said.
"Fine." He bit his bottom lip and flipped the pancake; it surprisingly landed in the pan.
"Good job!" Phil and I yelled.
"Dil, you wanna try?"
"Yes!" She quickly took the pan from Winston and tried to flip the pancake. Unfortunately it fell on the ground and spit into a bunch of pieces. "Whoops...sorry," she sighed.
"It's alright sweetie," Phil chuckled, "bear use to drop the pancakes all the time. He even got it stuck on the light fixture once," he chuckled. "Don't worry about the mess, Susan will gladly eat it,"
"Phil, she's getting old. Feeding her table food might not be the best idea,"
"She's got an iron stomach Dan. Susan!" he called.

She slowly walked in and stare at the food for a few minutes before finally eating it.

"Phil," I sighed.
"She'll be fine Dan," he smiled as he pet her.
"So dad, what are we doing for our birthday?" Winston asked as he put a pancake on his plate.
"Well, Louise wants to cook you guys dinner. Tyler and Troye said that they might make it in time,"
"If they make it will...um...will Stefi be there?"
"Does Winston have a little crush on Stefani?"
"Shut up Delilah!"
"No!"
"Dil!" I snapped. "Stop it,"
"Sorry bear,"
"Alright guys, finish breakfast then go get dressed. My parents wanna stop by around noon," I mumbled.
"Okay bear,"

They finished breakfast about twenty minutes later and went upstairs to get changed.

"How do we look?" Delilah sighed.
"Your grandma will like it," I mumbled.
"Dad," Winston mumbled.
"What's up?"
"My knee locked," he mumbled from the stairs.
"Really? It hasn't done that in months," I observed.
"Well...I, uh, ran..."
"Winnie, you know you can't to that! Come here," I said as I picked him up. "Susan, off!" I yelled as I set him down on the couch. As I helped with his leg exercises, we heard someone ring the doorbell. "Phil-"
"I got it." He quickly walked over to the door to greet my parents. "Hi Mr. and Mrs. Howell,"
"Phil, you don't need to greet us like that!" Mum said as she gave him a hug. "We brought someone else, if you don't mind,"
"Who?"
"Hi!" Adrian smiled as he followed them in with a few gifts.
"Ade!" I cheered.
"How have you been?"
"Great," I gave him a hug.
"So what are doing to him?" He motioned to Winston.
"His knee locked,"
"Okay..."
"Do you even know what happened?"
"No..."
"Never mind then,"
"Was it bad?"
"Yeah,"
"So, happy birthday guys!"
"Louise just texted me," I mumbled.
"What?"
"Louise just texted me! God," I enunciated. "She said there's a change of plans. She's coming over here at five and the Oakley clan should be here by six. You guys can stay for the party, if you want,"
"We'd love to," mum smiled. "Phil honey, how come we never seen your parents or your brother?"
"Cause they all live up north mam,"
"I told you to stop addressing me formally," she chuckled.
"Mum, let him be, he gets nervous,"
"I know," she pinched his cheek.
"My parents are face timing!" Phil exclaimed. "Hi mum! Hi dad! Why are you guys outside?"
"Cause we're waiting for you to let us in!" Catherine yelled.
"Oh dear lord," Phil grumbled. "You guys are so embarrassing," he sighed as he opener the front door. "You know, most people knock or even ring the doorbell...they don't face time their children to open the door,"
"We know. Dan, honey, how are you?"
"I'm great, thank you," I smiled and hugged her.
"I'm sure you guys would love to stay, but you have a lunch to get to," Catherine said.
"Wait, what?" Phil and I said.
"It's your anniversary! We made reservations for you guys. Please, go and have fun,"
"But-"
"Go guys," the kids smiled.
"You sure?"
"Go!"

***

Phil and I left a few minutes later so we could have a nice anniversary lunch.

"Are you driving home?" I asked.
"Dan, I don't drive,"
"Please...I wanna drink!"
"Dan, we still have our kids party to go to. You can't be drunk and you know that,"
"Can I have a glass or two?"
"Fine," he smiled.
"Thank you," I leaned over the table and gave him a kiss.
"You are embarrassing," he blushed. "So, do you think they'll like their gift?"
"If they don't then I'll be really mad...but, I'm sure they'll love it."

***

"Happy Birthday Winston and Delilah! Happy Birthday to you!" Everyone sang. The two gladly blew out their candles and gave each other a little hug.
"Can we eat now?" Delilah asked.
"Of course," Phil smiled as he cut them both a slice of their cakes.
"Can I try Dil's?"
"No Winnie, it wouldn't be fair. You know she can't eat yours,"
"It's not my fault she's allergic to peanuts!"
"Okay, stop fighting," Louise intruded.
"Sorry Louise,"
"Now come on, grab a piece and let's go to the lounge so you guys can open your gifts!"
"Okay!"

With no hesitation, Delilah ran into the lounge with Winston not far behind and waited for their gifts. They ripped open gift after gift, until they got to ours.

"Happy birthday," Phi and I smiled. I handed them both an envelope; they didn't look too thrilled. I wrapped my arms around Phil and rested my head on his shoulders; we waited in anticipation as they ripped the envelopes open.
"They're gonna freak out," I whispered.
"Oh my god!" They yelled. "We're going to Disney!"