Coming Out

YEAR: 2039

[Phil's POV]

"Delilah! Winston! Come on! You're gonna be late!" I yelled.
"Dad, calm down we're here," Delilah sighed as she walked downstairs with Winston.
"Your bus is gonna be here in 10 minutes. What have you guys been doing?"
"Dad this takes a while to achieve," Deliliah said as she flipped her long, curly, brown hair.
"Don't be cheeky," Dan mumbled from the kitchen.
"Sorry bear," she rolled her eyes.
"Alright, do you guys have your keys?"
"Yes," they replied.
"Phones fully charged?"
"Yes."
"Money for lunch?"
"Yes dad!" they groaned.
"Alright," I hugged them, "have fun at school,"
"Mhmm," they mumbled as they walked out the door.
"Dil!" Dan called.
"Yes bear?"
"Inhaler?"
"It's in my bag,"
"Show me,"
"Bear!" she whined.
"Dil, last thing we need is you dying in the middle of English. Now, please show me your inhaler,"
"Fine," she grumbled. She tossed her bag onto the ground and started rummaging through her over flowing bag. "Shit," she mumbled.
"What was that?"
"Shoot..."
"Mhmm...where is it?"
"My room..." she groaned.
"Go get it,"
"Here," Winston said as he tossed it to her. "I knew it wasn't in her bag,"
"How?"
"Cause I took it out last night,"
"Winston Alexander Howlter, why on earth would you do that?" I asked.
"Thought it'd be funny,"
"If you're late I'm not driving you," Dan mumbled as he sat on the couch.
"Come on Dil," Winston said as they walked out.
"What on earth are gonna do with them?" I sighed as I sat next to Dan.
"They're teenagers...do you really expect anything less from them?"
"No..."

***

[Delilah's POV]

Our first day back was going quite smoothly; I haven't had an asthma attack and Winston hasn't complained about anything. Around noon, we sat in the courtyard for lunch; we didn't have many friends so we just sat by each other most of the time.

"Hey Winnie," I mumbled.
"Yeah?"
"I think I got your lunch,"
"Why do you say that?"
"Cause y'know...it has peanut butter in it and last time I checked, dad and bear aren't trying to kill me,"
"Oh yeah, I think I got yours too," he scrunched his face as he handed me the bag.
"Why the weird face?" I laughed.
"Cause, your sandwich is literally the weirdest thing ever!"
"What's weird about it?"
"Ham, cheese, lettuce tomato, mayo-"
"All normal things,"
"I'm not done," he mumbled, still examining my food. "Pickles, green peppers, and turkey. What human could ever enjoy this?" he laughed.
"I enjoy it," I smirked as I snatched the tin foil covered substance from his hands.

We sat in an all too familiar silence as we ate and observed our peers socializing around us.

"Hey," Winston nudged my shoulder. "Want this?" he mumbled as he handed me a bottle of ribeana.
"Sure," I shrugged. "Thanks,"
"No problem," he replied as he took my half empty water bottle.
"Hey...can I talk to you about something?"
"Of course...what's up?"
"I um...oh god, I don't know how to say this..."
"Just say it Dil. I mean come on, it's me...have I ever judged you?"
"Yes," I chuckled.
"Shut up," he nudged my head. "Just say what's on your mind,"
"I think I'm gay..." I whispered.
"That's it?"
"What do you mean that's it? That was really hard for me to say!"
"Well, my dear sister, I don't know if you've noticed but, we have two dads...being gay isn't a huge deal," he said. "So, if you don't mind me asking, who do you find attractive or y'know have a crush?"
"Hadley," I blushed.
"Really?"
"Yeah...she's just so...I can't explain it...she makes me feel all giddy inside...kinda like Joe does,"
"So you're bi?"
"I guess...I don't know..."
"Well, I don't care what you are. I'm very proud of you Dil,"
"Thanks," I smiled.
"And I'm sure dad and bear will be very happy to find out that you came out this early,"
"What...no...no I'm not telling them...uh-uh, no way,"
"Why not?"
"I feel like they'd judge me o-or look at me differently..."
"Dil...they're gay...I don't think they'll care,"
"I don't know," I pouted.
"Whatever, just take your time and don't come out to other people until you're ready. Okay? Don't rush yourself,"
"Okay," I whispered. "Thanks Winnie,"
"Anything for you."

***

[Winston's POV]

"Hey Stefi," I waved to my lovely girlfriend over the Skype camera.
"Hey Winnie,"
"How was your day?"
"It was fun! I went to the beach with a couple of friends, dad and papa took me shopping, y'know stuff like that. It was a lot of fun," she giggled.
"Good...I'm glad you had a good day,"
"How was your first day back at school?"
"It was alright," I shrugged. "I already have two projects due next week,"
"Thanks gotta suck," she said. "Hey, it's nearly 11 o'clock there...why aren't you in bed?"
"Cause I'd much rather talk to you,"
"You're too sweet," she blushed.
"Anyway-"

All of a sudden, I was side tracked with crying coming from the downstairs bathroom. I looked away from my computer screen which seemed to concern Stefanie.

"Winnie...are you okay?"
"Huh? Oh yeah, I'm fine. I um, just need to check on something real quick. I'll be right back, okay?"
"Okay,"

I took out my ear buds and set my laptop down on my bed before I ventured downstairs. Before I entered the bathroom, I knocked on the door a couple times to let them know I was coming in. I open the door only to find Delilah cutting most of her hair off.

"Dil?" I whispered. "What on earth are you doing?" I said as I quickly snatched the scissors from her hands.
"Give 'em back!" she cried.
"Not until you tell me what you're doing!"
"I hate it!" she yelled as she tugged on her hair.
"You hate what?"
"My hair! I hate it! I want it gone!"
"Okay, okay...calm down," I whispered as I hugged her. "Do you want me to cut your hair?"
"Yes please," she sobbed unto my shoulder.

I faced her towards the mirror and started trimming her hair. Before she had her little meltdown, her hair was more than halfway down her back; now, it's all uneven. I did my best to even it out as I worked my way up to her shoulders but, unfortunately, it didn't look too great.

"What the hell are you guys doing?" dad asked.
"Oh my god," I jumped as I dropped the scissors.
"What are you guys doing? Winnie, why are you cutting your sisters hair?"
"She wanted me to..."
"Alright," he groaned as he picked up the scissors. "Go to bed,"
"Alright," we simultaneously said.
"Not you," he said, grabbing Delilah's shoulder. "Winnie, tell Stefanie goodnight and go to bed,"
"How did you-"
"Oh please, we all know. Now go to bed and don't make me say it again,"
"Alright, alright, I'm going...night guys,"
"Night."

[Phil's POV]

"So, do you wanna tell me what's going on?"
"I wanted to cut my hair..."
"You don't wanna tell me what's going on? Fine," I sighed. "Turn around,"
"Why?"
"Cause your hair is so uneven. Your brother did a horrible job and I cannot let you go outside with a rats nestnon your head,"
"Thanks dad," she let out a faint chuckle.
"How short do you want it?"
"I want it like yours,"
"Why so short?"
"No reason," she lied.
"Well, I'll take you to my hair dresser this weekend but for now, this is good," I smiled as I cut the last few strands off.

Her long, brown, curly hair was now sat on the floor in a furry heap; her hair was now sat right above her shoulders and it looked curlier than ever.

"You look beautiful," I kissed the back of her head. "Now please, go to bed, it's really late,"
"Okay," she whispered as she hugged me. "Thanks dad..."
"No problem princess," I smiled as I placed one more kiss on her head.
"I love you," she mumbled into my chest.
"I love you too."