Be Concerned

YEAR: 2053

[Winston's POV]

Beep. Beep. Beep.

"Honey, please turn your alarm off," I grumbled.
"Sorry, baby," Jenny sighed. "Morning," she whispered as she kissed my head.
"Morning..."

She turned her alarm off, rolled out of bed, and headed off to take her shower. As she did so, I started falling back asleep, considering I didn't have to get up, and get the kids ready, for another three and a half hours. When Jenny came back from her shower, she laid down on the bed, still wrapped in her towel.

"Winnie," Jenny said.
"Yes?" I mumbled.
"Can you stay up and talk to me?"
"I always do," I said, turning onto my back. "What's your schedule for today?"
"I have an appendectomy at six, a meeting a noon, I'm assisting with a tumor removal at two, and I have one more thing that I can't remember for the life of me. How 'bout you?"
"Not much; it's a pretty mellow day. I have a meeting at ten, look over a few cases for a couple hours, then, at one, I start meeting with a few clients for a couple upcoming cases,"
"That's good," she yawned.
"Hey, if I pick the kids up at three, could I drop them off with you?"
"Like, at the daycare?"
"Yeah,"
"You know how much Charlie and Lydia hate going there,"
"Well, I have to be back at work for four, so I don't think they have much of a choice,"
"Fine," she sighed. "I gotta get ready for work,"
"May I go back to sleep?"
"Yes, you may," she giggled. "I love you," she gave me a quick kiss.
"I love you too," I said.
"Thanks for staying up... I know it's a pain in the ass,"
"I don't mind," I smiled. "You wouldn't believe the stupid things people do for the ones they love,"
"Shut up," she giggled. "I should be home by seven. If it's not too much trouble, could you pick the kids up when you get off? I know it sucks, having to come to the hospital twice in one day,"
"No, I don't care, but I'm getting off kinda late too,"
"Aren't you normally home by like 5:30?"
"Yes, but John needs me there until like 6:30,"
"Are you kidding me?"
"I'm afraid not,"
"You better be getting paid for your extra time,"
"I'm not," I sighed. "Have fun at work,"
"I will; I'll see ya at seven, I guess,"
"So, do you still want me to pick the kids up?"
"No, I got them," she kissed me once more. "Bye,"
"Bye."

***

A couple hours passed, and before I knew it, I had to wake up again. I did my normal morning routine; got up, got dressed, woke the kids up, made them breakfast, and made sure they got off to school. Then, after everything runs smoothly at home, I get Lara, and drop her off at the hospitals daycare; after she's all set, I head over to work.

Today was a rather slow day, at work. I went to my meetings, I met with my clients, I did everything I was supposed to. Around two, I was relieved for about thirty minutes, before my next client showed up. I took out my phone, and started scrolling through Instagram.  A couple minutes of mindless scrolling, bear started calling me.

"Hello?" I answered.
"Hey kiddo,"
"Hey, bear. What's up?"
"Not much. How 'bout you?"
"Well, y'know... work," I said. "What's up? Why are you calling me at two in the afternoon?"
"Oh yeah, you're five hours behind,"
"Yes, I am,"
"Are you in the middle of anything important? If you are, I can call back," he said.
"No, I'm not doing anything, at the moment. So, I ask again, what's up?"
"Your father and I wanted to talk to you about something..."
"Oh yeah?"
"Yeah..."
"You sound concerned. What's wrong?"
"Oh, um..."
"Bear, spit it out..."
"I..."
"You what?" I chuckled.
"Y-Your sisters pregnant," he finally said.
"Oh, well... good for her, I guess," I shrugged. "Is that really what you called me for?"
"Yeah..."
"Bear, my job literally consists of telling when people are lying. So, I ask again: is that really what you called me for?"
"No..."
"Just tell me what you want to tell me,"
"Bear, give me the phone," I heard Delilah say. "Hey,"
"Hey, what's wrong with bear?"
"He hasn't been feeling well," she said.
"How so?"
"Bear has Alzheimer's..."
"You're joking," I whispered.
"Yeah... I think I'd be best if you came home for a bit..."
"Why? It takes a few years for someone to pass away from that. I'm still going to visit for birthdays, and holidays, and stuff like that,"
"But Winnie-"
"Delilah, listen, Jenny and I work full time. And, we can't just pull the kids out of school for god knows how many weeks. I'm sorry, I am... but I can't just put my life on hold cause bear is slipping in and out of his proper self,"
"Wow... that has to be the most selfish thing I have ever heard come out of your mouth..."
"Delilah-"
"No! Listen to me! You are so fucking selfish Winston Alexander Howlter!"
"Well, I'm sorry for taking my family and our lives into consideration!"
"You may have moved to another country, but we're still your family! We deserve your attention! Especially when one of us is dying!"
"Wait... Did-Did your cancer come back?"
"What? No, you fuck tart-"
"Language," dad and bear said.
"Sorry," she grumbled. "Y'know what, Winston... do whatever you want..."
"I will," I said. "Congrats on the baby, by the way,"
"Yeah, thanks..." she whispered; it sounded as if she were about to start crying. "Bear's gonna be dead within six months... just thought you should know..." Then the line went dead.

My eyes started to water as I set my phone down on my desk. I dug my face into my hands, and started crying.

Bear can't be dying... Fuck, I'm such a dick...

"Hello?" A woman called as she entered my office.
"Hello," I whispered, drying my eyes. "How may I help you?"
"I'm Sharon... I'm here for my 2:30 'appointment'..."
"Oh, yeah... sorry. Please, take a seat,"
"Are you-Are you alright?"
"Yeah, I'm fine," I insisted. "Let's get started, shall we?"

***

Later that night, I got home a few minutes after Jenny and the kids. I was still completely out of it; I couldn't function for the life of me.

I was such an ass... I need to go home and see bear... But I can't just-

"Winnie," Jenny whispered. "Are you okay?" We were in our room, getting out of our work clothes, and into our pajamas.
"What? Oh, yeah, I'm fine," I lied.
"No, you're not," she pouted. "What's up?"
"I said, I'm fine,"
"Winston Alexander, we have been together for seven years, I know when you're lying," she said.

She gave me a reassuring hug; I rested my head in the crook of her neck and started to cry. I hugged her back, and she started stroking the back of my head as she hushed me.

"What's wrong, baby?"
"Bears dying," I sobbed.
"He's what?" Jenny asked.
"Yeah... Dil said he's only got five months..."
"What does he have?"
"Alzheimer's..." I mumbled, lifting my head up.
"I am so sorry, honey," Jenny said, drying my eyes. "What are you gonna do?"
"What can I do?" I cried.
"I think you should go home for a bit... Take some time off work, spend some time with bear, and cherish the moments where he's still lucid, before be completely loses it. Okay?"
"I can't just leave you with the kids..."
"Tabitha's in Florida, visiting family. I could give her a call, and maybe she'd come up to help. Okay? Go home... I insist..."
"I will," I kissed her. "Hey..."
"Yeah?"
"Can I please bring the kids with me? Only for a week or so... please... they should get to be with bear..."
"Of course, darling," she smiled warmly.
"What did I ever do, to deserve a wife like you?"
"Something pretty damn special," she teased. "Now come on, the kids wanna eat dinner."

***

"Dan, honey, it's me... Phil? Remember? I'm a friend of Katherine's,"
"Oh yeah!" bear yelled. "I'm sorry... By the way, has Katherine gotten back to you about Phil? Is he feeling any better?"
"Yeah, you can see him soon,"
"Good," he pouted.
"Yeah, I made you some-"

Knock. Knock. Knock.

"Coffee..." he trailed off. "Here, I'll be right back," dad said. He headed over to the door, and hesitantly opened it. Once the door opened, dad seemed to be very taken aback. "Winston..."
"Hi dad... Can we come in?"