You Dug Your Grave

YEAR: 2040

[Delilah's POV]

"Joe?" I smiled. "Hi! How are you?" I chuckled as I gave him a hug.
"I'm good," he said.
"Sir," the barista interrupted. "What would you like? Y-You're kinda holding up the line..."
"Oh, I'll have the same as her. And put it on my card," he said.
"Will do,"

We stepped aside and searched the place for an open table so we could continue talking.

"So, what uni do you go to?" he asked.
"York. You?"
"I go to Manchester with Stefanie,"
"How do you know Stefanie?"
"We were paired together for a law project and we got to know each other. Is it true that she got engaged to Winston?"
"Yeah. They, um...they actually got married a couple months ago,"
"Oh, well, good for them," he said. "So, you heard what I'm majoring in. What about you? What's your major?"
"I'm majoring in law and minoring in music appreciation,"
"What the hell is music appreciation?" he laughed.
"Don't laugh," I giggled. "It's going in depth of all types of music and basically learning about all kinds of music that has been used throughout the history of time,"
"That's really cool,"
"Yeah, I like it a lot,"
"Grande egg nog latte for Dil!" the barista yelled.
"I got it," Joe said.
"No, no-"
"No, mines probably ready too. Sit, I insist,"
"Fine," I smirked. I leaned back in my seat and stared at my vigorously vibrating phone.

Unknown is calling...

"Hello?"
"Oh, great, you picked up," Penny sighed.
"What do you want?"
"I want to get back together!"
"I don't wanna talk to you,"
"Delilah, please, I love-"
"I gotta go," I muttered as I hung up. "What's that?" I asked.

He set down my latte and a little Starbucks bag in front of me. I flashed him a smile as I opened the bag only to reveal my favorite childhood treat.

"Is this what I think it is?"
"Marble pound cake. You ate it all the time when you were younger. And Winston always ate-"
"Lemon pound cake," I smiled. "And in fall, we only ate-"
"Pumpkin bread...cause it was a seasonal thing,"
"I can't believe you remembered all that,"
"Well, when you have a crush on someone, all through secondary school, you tend to catch onto the little things,"
"You had a crush on me?" I blushed.
"Well, yeah..."
"Why? I'm nothing special..."
"Are you kidding me? You're Delilah Howlter. You're smart...you're beautiful...you're talented, and...you're the strongest person, I have ever met,"
"Wow...no one's ever said those things to me before..."
"That's not true,"
"Fine...you got me. My dads say those things to me all the time," I laughed.
"You're such an ass," he laughed back. "I'm glad I ran into you,"
"Me too...I really hope we can do this again,"
"Are you free tomorrow?"
"I should be," I smiled.
"Okay, meet me at the train station at noon,"
"Okay."

***

"Delilah," dad sighed as I walked back into the house. "You had me scared half to death! Where were you?"
"Out,"
"That's not funny," he warned. "Where were you?"
"I was out,"
"Delilah Rose Howlter, I swear to god. Where were you?"
"I was upset about my break up so I left, and-"
"Where did you go?"
"Into town,"
"Delilah!"
"I went to Starbucks, okay? Calm down,"
"I will not calm down! You left without any warning! Bear and I were terrified!"
"I'm not a child anymore! You don't need to know where I am every second of the day. Okay? I'm fine, I got back safely. You have no reason to be scared,"
"Yeah...let's see if you'll be saying that when you have kids..."

***

"Hey," Joe greeted as he kissed my cheek.
"Hi," I blushed. "So, where are we going?"
"London," he smiled.
"Why?"
"It's a surprise," he said.

He bought us our train tickets and before I knew not, we were off to London. Once we arrived, he took me all over the city; she shopped, we ate, and to top off the wonderful day, we went on the London Eye.

"The view from up here amazing," I said.
"Yeah," he smiled as he stared at me.
"Stop," I chuckled.
"Make me," he whispered. He flashed me a big, stupid, grin as he leaned in and kissed me.
"Wow," I mumbled. "Joe, I...I think I'm starting to like you," I teased.
"Shut up," he laughed as he kissed me again. "Hey, I, uh, I bought a hotel room for the night,"
"Are you inviting me to stay?" I giggled.
"Why else would I tell you?" he whispered against my neck.
"Ah! Stop!" I cringed.
"Sorry," he laughed. "I forgot that you hate people touching your neck,"
"It's fine," I mumbled. Then, I felt my phone vibrate in my picket, for the millionth time. "I'm sorry. May I?"
"Yeah, yeah, of course."

Dad: Delilah Rose Howlter, where are you!
Bear: Dil, you're father is getting angry and I'm getting worried. Where are you? Please text us back.
Winston: where the fuck are you? dad and bear are literally gonna murder you.
Delilah: Winnie, I'm in London, I'm fine. When I get back, please make sure dad and bear don't kill me
Winston: you dug your grave...now you gotta lay in it. I'll see you tomorrow.
Delilah: see you tomorrow

***

I woke up the next morning, tangled in bed with Joe, naked. I was frozen, in complete terror; what did I do?

"Morning," Joe mumbled as he kissed the back of my head.
"Morning," I said. I shifted, slightly to the left, but I immediately stopped when I felt a sharp pain. "Shit..." I groaned.
"What's wrong?"
"Didn't know sex hurt so much, the next day,"
"Oh...I hurt you? I-I'm sorry...I didn't-"
"I know you didn't mean to. I'll be fine. Okay?"
"Okay...hey Dil?"
"Yeah?"
"Will you, um...would you, by any chance, wanna, um...be my girlfriend?"
"I'd, um," I giggled as I kissed him, "love to."