Happiest I've Ever Seen

YEAR: 2041

[Phil's POV]

It's Halloween, and Delilah decided to take the day off from school so she could spend the day with Fiona. We were all relaxing in the pool; Fiona was in an inflatable chair and Delilah was pushing her around. We had just set up a new toy basketball hoop in the pool and I was trying to get Delilah and Dan to play but, they just laughed and watched me play by myself.

"Hey Dan, play some music," I said.
"What do you want me to play?"
"Something seasonally appropriate," Delilah said.
"Fine," he sighed.

Boys and girls of every age
Wouldn't you like to see something strange?

Come with us and you will see
This our town of Halloween...

"Fiona passes to me," I started. "And-"
"He shoots and he misses," Dan teased.
"Shut up," I laughed. I threw the damp foam ball at Dan, who was now relaxing in his chair on the deck.
"Bear, toss me the ball," Delilah yelled.
"Here," he mumbled.

Delilah caught the ball, with one hand, and made a basket with ease.

"That's how you do that," she smiled.
"No need to be a show off," I said.
"Dad, you are 1.8 meters! How is this difficult?" she teased.
"It's not," I defended.
"Yeah, yeah. Can I see the ball again?"
"Yeah," I chuckled. "Here,"
"Thanks,"

She handed the ball to Fiona and carried her over to the hoop. She lifted her up to the brim, and started cheering her on.

"Come on Fiona, you can do it. Dunk the ball and show up grandpa,"

Fiona started giggling and waving her arms around, dropping the ball in the hoops in the process; I don't think I've ever seen a happier baby.

"Yay!" Delilah cheered. "Look at you go! You're so good at basketball," she smiled.
"If she's anything like you, she'll be a brilliant athlete,"
"Thanks dad,"
"You're wel-" I was cut off by the doorbell. "Are we expecting anyone?"
"I don't know," Dan shrugged as he headed inside to greet whoever was at the door. "Jess-"
"Where is she?" she asked as she stormed into the house.
"What are you-"
"Don't play dumb with me Howell! Where is your daughter?"
"O-Out back...why do you-"
"Move," she angirly said as she rushed into the backyard. "Ugh! So you do have another daughter!"
"It's nice to see you too, Jess," Delilah smirked.
"You invited her here?" Dan asked.
"What? No," Delilah scoffed. "I'd never willingly talk to her,"
"Rude," Jess scowled.
"You know it,"
"Where's your brother?"
"School,"
"Why aren't you at school?"
"Cause I wanna be here for my daughters first Halloween," Delilah smiled.
"Wait...she's yours?"
"Yeah...why do you care?"
"Where's the father?"
"School,"
"Really? What Uni does he go to?"
"Manchester,"
"Oh? He couldn't be bothered to support his kid?"
"Actually, he wanted to but, I told him I got it and how he should focus on school,"
"How selfish could be, Delilah?"
"What is your deal, Jessica?" I snapped. "What gives you the right to tell me how to raise my daughter?"
"I'm your mother,"
"No you're not! You were a place to live for nine months. Okay? You have no authority over me..."
"Hey Delilah," Jess snarled. "Your real father is-"
"Shut the fuck up," Dan said. He stood up from his chair and placed his hand over her mouth so she wasn't able to talk.
"Delilah, take Fiona inside. Upstairs, preferably,"
"Okay," she whispered, taking her daughter inside. Once Dan and I were sure she was inside, he removed his hand from her mouth.
"You need to leave," I said.
"But Philly-"
"No Jess, you need to leave. You are not part of this family. Yes, you are part of our kids, but that doesn't make you their mum,"
"Phil-"
"If I ever see you near our house again, I will not hesitate to call the police. You are not going to be apart of Fiona's life or any future grandkids we have. Are we clear?"
"Phil-"
"Are we clear?"
"Winston is yours," she snarled.
"Delilah is too," I whispered. "Get out,"
"Gladly," she smirked.
"Have a nice life boys," she waved. "Hi Winnie," she said.
"Jess? Why are you here?"
"Just dropping by,"
"Stop talking to him," Dan mumbled as he dragged Winston outside.
"And who are you?" Jess asked.
"Stefanie! Don't talk to her!" Dan yelled from my back deck.
"I'm Winston's wife," she whispered.
"Stefanie!"
"Coming Dan," she sighed.
"And you are?" Jess raised a brow.
"Hi, I'm Joe. It's very nice to meet you. Are you Stefanie's mother?" he asked as he shook her hand.
"No, I'm Delilah's,"
"Oh! Well, I'm her boyfriend,"
"You're Fiona's father?"
"Yes 'mam,"
"You should really be here for your daughter," she spat.
"Joe," Delilah said from the top of the stairs. "Please come up here,"
"Coming love," he said. "It was nice meeting you..."
"Jess," she smirked. "Think about what I said, dear,"
"I-I will..."
"Get out of my house!" I yelled.
"Wait me, or-" Joe started.
"Joe, just go upstairs. I think Delilah's in Fiona's room,"
"Okay..."

[Delilah's POV]

"Hey Dil," Joe greeted.
"Hi," I mumbled.

I got Fiona and I out of our bathing suits; I was getting Fiona into her Winnie the Pooh costume when Joe walked in; I was in my bathrobe.

"Are you okay?"
"I hate that woman so much," I murmered.
"Why? She seems nice,"
"She almost made my parents get a divorce..."
"How?"
"She took advantage of bear when he was really drunk. Then, of course, dad caught them in the act and it made bear look really bad... So, they stopped talking, for like a month, and nearly got divorced,"
"That's awful,"
"Yep... Oh, and I also heard her talking to you downstairs. Please, don't take anything she says seriously or personally,"
"She just said that I should be here for Fiona,"
"Yeah, don't listen to her; I barely see Fiona as it is. There's no need for you to bend over backwards just so you're here more,"
"But-"
"Joe, honey, listen. My dads take care of her while I'm at school, I take her when I get back, and you Skype every night. She gets an equal amount of parenting from everyone. You are not an absent parent, okay? You are here for her and don't let Jess make you think otherwise,"
"Okay," he said. "Hey, why don't you get ready. I'll take care of her,"
"Alright, thanks," I kissed his cheek and headed for my room.

When I was ready, I went downstairs to discover that bear and dad had planned a Halloween party. I awkwardly waved hello to everyone and took a seat on the couch.

"Dil, family picture. C'mon," Winston smiled.
"I wanna wait for Fiona and Joe,"
"We're right here," Joe smiled as he carried Fiona downstairs.
"Okay, guys in the back, girls in the front. Hey Louise, can you please take a picture?"
"Of course," she said.

The whole family planned on being characters from Winnie the Pooh. Fiona was Winnie, I was Piglet, Joe was Eeyore, dad was Tigger, bear was Christopher Robin, Winston was Rabbit, and Stefanie was Kanga. I was sitting on the ground, with Fiona in my lap, Joe was crouched down behind me, Stefanie and Winston sat down next to me, then bear and dad were standing behind all of us. When we were done taking the pictures, Joe grabbed the stroller, I grabbed a bag, and we headed out so Fiona could go trick or treating.

"How many houses are we going to?" Joe asked.
"I don't know. Probably this street then the next. She's not gonna remember any of this so...yeah..."
"Okay," he shrugged.

We started walking around the neighborhood; Fiona just stared and giggled at everything.

"Darling, she's dribbling," I said.
"She's laughs so much, she can't keep her drool in her mouth," he laughed.
"My dad was right," I whispered.
"Right about what?"
"He always says how she's the happiest baby he's ever seen,"
"Happier than you and your brother?"
"We were so bland as babies. I think we were just annoyed by each other so we never smiled," I chuckled.
"I find that hard to believe,"
"Why?"
"Cause you're just so happy. I can't think of a time we've been together and you were frowning"
"Cause you bring out my happy side," I smiled. "Y'know, I believe, everything happens for a reason. You should know that, I was kinda miserable before I met you. When we got together, I just felt happier... When I found out I was pregnant, I was miserable again and when I had her, everything, and I mean everything, just got better. I became happier, my family grew closer-"
"I didn't know that was possible," he teased.
"Long story short, this dribbling ball of sunshine has improved my life beyond belief,"
"Did you really just call our daughter a dribbling ball?"
"Of sunshine," I finished. "And yes, I did," I said as we walked back into the house.
"You guys are back soon," Louise said.
"Yeah well, she started dozing off so we brought her back,"
"I'll go put her to bed," Joe said.
"Okay," I pat his back and sat down on the couch.
"Hey Dil, want a drink?" Tabitha offered.
"When did you get here?"
"Like ten minutes ago. Now, I'll ask again. Do you want a drink?"
"Yes please," I sighed.
"Beer?"
"Yeah, sure," I mumbled.
"Here," she smiled.
"Oh, guess what," she smiled.
"What?"
"I just transferred to Northampton University,"
"You did!" I cheered.
"Hell yeah! I couldn't let my best friend go at uni alone," she smiled.
"T-Bag! I need you in the kitchen!" bear yelled.
"I am so sorry about him," I sighed.
"It's fine," she laughed. "Oh! By the way, do you like my costume?"
"What are you supposed to be?"
"I'm Owl, you asshole," she smirked as she hit my arm.
"Delilah! Can you come up here for a minute?" Joe called.
"Yeah, I'm coming," I said. "Where are you?"
"Fiona's room,"
"What's up?" I mumbled as I walked in.
"She won't sleep," he frowned.
"Let me try," I sighed.

I started humming Truce as I rubbed her stomach and her head to sooth her. As she started falling asleep, Joe wrapped his arms around me and kissed the back of my head.

"Will you marry me?"