My Youth

YEAR: 2039

[Dan's POV]

"Pick up the phone bear. Pick up the phone..." Delilah mumbled.

"Hello?" I sniffed.
"Bear! Thank god you answered. What the hell is going on with this family? You guys are getting divorced? I'm never gonna see you again? Fucking explain!"
"Dil, watch your mouth,"
"Are you serious? You're ignoring everything I asked you about?"
"Look, I know I probably should have told you and Winnie what was going on instead of letting a video tell you, but I just didn't have the heart to,"
"Bear...there are people who found out about the divorce before we did...there are people who found out about the custody thing before us...it's fucking bullshit!"
"Watch your mouth!"
"No! I have the right to be upset! My parents are getting divorced! My grandmother just died-"
"About that...the funeral...Adrian and I planned it for Monday,"
"Okay...so?"
"I want you and your brother in Berkshire by Sunday night. I'll talk to your father and arrange for him to bring you, okay?"
"Okay but, with the way dad is acting, I wouldn't count on seeing us there,"
"If he refuses to bring you I'll talk to Tyler. Alright?"
"Alright,"
"I gotta go. I love you honey,"
"I love you too bear. Call me if you need anything,"
"You too. Bye sweetie,"
"Bye."

I hung up, tossed my phone onto the coffee table, and let out a sigh.

"Who was that?" Adrian asked as he brought in two cups of tea.
"Delilah,"
"How's she holding up?"
"She's confused and upset...I hope Winston's handling it better,"
"Does he handle these things better?"
"It depends,"
"How so?"
"Well, you know how Delilah had cancer a couple years ago?"
"Yeah, of course,"
"Well, the chemo messed her up a little bit and now she has really bad anxiety. Things that don't really affect Winnie, make her want to curl up in a ball and cry,"
"Poor girl..."
"Yeah...anyway, mums funeral, what are we gonna do?"
"What do you mean?"
"Are we gonna bury her or cremate her and keep her urn like dad,"
"I think we should do the urn thing,"
"Okay," I sighed.

We spent the rest of the day planning mums funeral and wake; Monday is going to be rough. Around nine, Adrian went back to his hotel with his family while I was stuck in my now empty childhood home. I sat on the couch and started fiddling with my phone, waiting for a text from the kids. Then it started to vibrate, but it wasn't one of the kids.

Philipis calling...

"Hello?"
"Hey...are you okay?"
"I've been better. What do you want?"
"Wanted to check up on you..."
"Why? You don't care about me,"
"Says who?"
"Said you! You said you hate me!"
"Doesn't mean I don't care about you! Now...how are you?"
"Upset,"
"I figured as much..."
"Look Phil, I have a patch of carpet to lie on. Now, just tell me what the fuck you want or hang up,"
"Dan, I saw your video..."
"And?"
"I just can't believe you quit..."
"Great. Is that all?"
"Dan, stop acting like this,"
"What gives you the right to tell me how I should or should not act?"
"Dan-"
"Go fuck yourself Philip Michael Lester,"
"I'm sorry Dan...bye, I guess,"
"Shit, wait," I sighed.
"Oh, now you want me to stay. What?"
"Can you please drive the kids to Berkshire for tomorrow night?"
"I would if I knew where they were,"
"You lost our kids!"
"I'm joking, my god. They're with Tyler,"
"So you'll drive them up?"
"I don't know Dan...we weren't that close with your family and they never really saw your mother-"
"So that's a no? Great...go fuck yourself." End Call. "I hate my life," I cried.

***

The next day, Adrian decided to spend with his family so I was left alone in the empty house to contemplate life even more. The day came and went and before I knew it, it was night time again; I knew Phil wouldn't bring them, I was a fool to ever think he would. Then the doorbell rang. I twisted my face and headed for the front door to see who was knocking this late at night.

"Hi bear," the kids said as they hugged me.
"Oh my god," I whispered as I hugged them back. "You're here...I didn't think your father would bring you..."
"Well, he brought us," Delilah said.
"Is your father with you?"
"No..." she sighed. "He just dropped us off..."
"Whatever...it's good enough for me," I hugged them again. "Now come on, it's time for bed,"
"Yes bear," the said.
"I'll see you guys in the morning,"
"Arlight," they shrugged.
"Night bear," Winston whispered.
"Night," I waved as he walked upstairs.
"Hey bear..." Delilah started.
"Yeah honey?"
"Did you really cheat on dad?"
"In a way,"
"Why? Weren't you two happy together?"
"Delilah, your mother-"
"She's not my mother..."
"Then what am I supposed to call her?"
"Jess..."
"Fine," I sighed. "Jess found me at the hotel when I was going to the bathroom. I was drunk off my ass and she took advantage of me and then-"
"Dad saw you..."
"Exactly..."
"Oh...I'm sorry bear..."
"It's not your fault..." I murmered. "You should go to bed...it's getting late..."
"Okay," she gave me a tight hug. "I love you bear..."
"I love you too sweetie."

That night, I did nothing but toss and turn in the dark; I miss my fairy lights...I miss my Phil. The next morning I woke up around 7:30 and just sat there, in silence, until Delilah strolled in with my macbook.

"Morning bear,"
"Morning Dil," I yawned. "What's up?"
"I found something on your computer..."
"What?"
"I found your wedding video..."
"Oh...did you watch it?"
"Yeah," she smiled as she sat on my bed. "You guys looked so happy,"
"We did, didn't we?" I beamed.
"Hey, what song was playing in the background?"
"You know what song that is," I chuckled. "It's Uncle Troye," I said.
"I've never heard him sing before...he has a really nice voice...I'm jealous!"
"Me too," I giggled. "Now come on, go get ready. The service starts at ten."

***

Surprisingly, not a lot of people showed up to the service; just the family and a few friends; Adrian and I were the only ones who went up to speak. After we spoke, everyone came up to the casket to say one last goodbye. Once the funeral was over, nearly everyone had left the church; Delilah, Winston, and I were the only ones left.

"We should go bear," Winston whispered.
"I don't wanna go just yet," I whispered.
"Let's leave him alone for a minute," Delilah whispered. "Come on," she said as she led him out of the church hall.

I sat in the pew alone and stared blankly at the now empty alter. As I sat there, I heard someone playing the piano; it didn't take long for Delialh to grab a microphone and start singing.

"What if, what if we run away,"
"Oh no, Dil," I chuckled.
"What if, what if we left today? What if we said goodbye to safe and sound? What if, what if we're hard to find? What if, what if we lost our minds? What if we let them fall behind, and they're never found?

And when the lights start flashing like a photo booth and the stars exploding, we'll be fireproof. My youth..."

As Delilah sang, I sat in the pew and silently cried; then out of the corner of my eye, I saw a man, dressed in all black; he handed me a bright yellow flower. I dried my eyes and looked up to the man; low and behold, it was Phil. I stood up and took the flower from his hand; I cracked a small smile, gave him a hug, and started crying into the crook of his neck.

"She's gone Phil," I sobbed.
"I know..." he whispered as he rubbed my back.

"My youth, my youth is yours, trippin' on skies, sippin' waterfalls. My youth, my youth is yours, run away now and forevermore. My youth, my youth is yours, the truth so loud you can't ignore. My youth..."

Delilah sang on as Phil and I swayed back and forth throughout the church hall.

"My youth is yours..." she finished.

When she was done, she let out a giggle and put the microphone back where she found it. Phil and I continued to hug one another; I don't think either of us ever wanted to let go.

"I love you Dan," Phil finally whispered.
"I love you too Phil,"
"Come on," he said.
"Where are we going?" I asked.
"Home."