The Note

YEAR: 2036

[Dan's POV]

"Delilah!" I called.
"Yeah?" she weakly replied.
"It's time for your doctors appointment,"
"What is this one for?"
"To see how your body's responding to the chemo and radiation,"
"Oh, okay...let me-" She was cut off by a familiar cough and dry heaving 'attack'. After she managed to get her breathing back to a normal pace, she rested for a few minutes to catch her breath. "Bear," he choked out.
"Yeah sweetheart?"
"Can you grab my inhaler? It's in my room,"
"Yeah, yeah, of course. Go sit down," I mumbled.
"Okay..." she huffed.

I ran upstairs and started rummaging through Delilah's drawers and going through her shelves, struggling to find her inhaler.

"Phil!" I yelled.
"Yeah?" he said, walking into Delilah's room.
"Have you seen Dil's inhaler?"
"Yeah," he said. He opened her bedside drawer and dug through everything before he pulled out her inhaler.
"Thanks,"
"Mhmm..." I gave him a smile and ran back downstairs.
"Here you go,"
"Thanks," she wheezed.
"Why wasn't it with you in the first place?"
"I don't know," she whispered. "Let's just go...can you help me up?"
"Of course," I mumbled. "Do you have your glasses?"
"Their in my pocket,"
"Where's your hat? Doctor said you should be wearing it so you don't get sick,"
"I'm already sick, if you haven't noticed,"
"No need to get smart,"
"Sorry..."
"It's fine, just, please put it on,"
"Why? I hate it! I'd rather be bald than have that itchy piece of crap on my head 24/7!"
"Delilah, for gods sake, just put it on please,"
"Fine," she huffed.
"We'll get you a new hat for Christmas," I said as I walked her out the door.
"Great...probably my last Christmas ever and I'm getting a hat...yay me!"
"Well, what do you want?"
"Doesn't matter," she huffed.
"Yes, it does. What do you want?"
"Surprise me."

***

"Delilah Howlter!" A nurse called.
"Right here," she sighed. "Bear...please help,"
"Sure thing," I said. I wrapped my arm around her and held onto her arm just to make sure she wouldn't fall.
"Right in here," she smiled. "The doctor will be in, in a minute,"
"Thanks," I mumbled.

We waited around for a few minutes before Delilah's doctor walked in with her folder full of paperwork.

"Hey Dil," he said. "How are you feeling today?"
"Shitty,"
"Delilah," I warned.
"Sorry...I feel awful," she rolled her eyes.
"Why's that?"
"Why do you think?"
"Sorry...dumb question,"
"You think?"
"Okay, well...follow me, into my office. We have a few things we need to cover."

I helped Delilah out of the chair and walked her down the hall, to her doctors office. He had us take a few seats and sit down in front of his desk.

"So, Delilah, your body seems to be reacting to the treatments very well. I'd say it's time we book a surgery for you, but-"
"Oh god," she sighed. "But what?"
"We still haven't found anyone compatible for the surgery,"
"What about whats-her-name?"
"Your mother?"
"Yeah, her? I thought you were gonna call her,"
"We did but, she refused to do the surgery,"
"Of course she did," Delilah mumbled. "So when's my next chemo appointment?"
"You're not gonna like it..."
"Oh god, when is it?"
"December 25th..."
"B-But that's Christmas..."
"Yeah...I know,"
"Wait," she cried. "So, I'm gonna end up spending, what might very well be my last Christmas, in a hospital, getting poison pumped through my veins!"
"Delilah," I said, "please calm down,"
"You don't get to tell me to calm down! You're not the one that's dying!"
"Delilah-" I started.
"No!" she wheezed.
"Breathe, honey," I said, rubbing small circles on her back, trying to calm her down.
"Don't touch me," she mumbled as she shook her inhaler. She quickly took a few hits before sliding it back into her pocket. "Can we go home?" she whined.
"Yeah, you're all done. Thanks for coming in," her doctor said. "See you in a week,"
"See you in a week."

***

A week had passed and before we knew it, it was Christmas. Since Delilah had to be at the hospital for noon, we got everyone up around nine so we could enjoy breakfast and open our gifts. Winston, being the eager thing his is, ripped open his gifts, not even waiting for one of us to open our cameras. He got everything he wanted; it wasn't a lot, but still. Then there was Delilah. She got a new hat that wouldn't itch her head, a scarf, and a new pair of glasses.

"Thanks," she grumbled.
"Is that really all you got her?" Winston asked. "I thought you'd get her something, not so, y'know...stupid,"
"No, no, it's fine...I've been wanting a new hat and another pair of glasses..." she lied. "Can someone get me breakfast?" she asked.
"Yeah," I mumbled. "We got it,"

Phil and I got up from the couch and walked into the kitchen. He pulled me into a corner and started whispering so quietly I could barely hear him.

"Is everything set at the hospital?" he whispered.
"Yep...she'll never see it coming."

***

"Merry Christmas Dil," the receptionist smiled. "You can go right in,"
"Thanks," she sighed. "Merry Christmas to you too, I guess,"
"Don't be rude," I whispered.
"Sorry," she mumbled. "Hey...why is the room empty?" She asked as she walked into the room.
"I don't know..." I shrugged.
"Hey Dil,"
"Hey Rebecca,"
"You know the drill. Sit," she said, patting her seat.

Delilah frowned and took her place at her normal recliner as Rebecca hooked her up to her machines.

"I'll be right back," she said, "here's your bin,"
"Thanks,"
"I'll be back too," I mumbled.
"No bear, please stay,"
"Dil, I have to go to the bathroom," I chuckled. "I'll be right back,"
"Okay, fine..."
"I'll be back in two minutes,"
"Alright," she pouted.

When I walked out, she slouched in her chair and waited impatiently for my return. She sat there, bored out of her mind, thinking of all the things she'd rather be doing. Then, out of the blue, she heard the intercom turn on. She twisted her face and waited for someone to speak, but no one did. Instead, she heard an ever so famous G note, echo throughout the room.