Getting to Know You

YEAR: 2047

[Delilah's POV]

"Mum!"  Fiona yelled.
"Yeah, baby?" I mumbled.

We were over Winston's house; I was babysitting Lydia while dad, bear, and Winston were out. At the moment, I was in the kitchen, making the girls lunch but, I kept getting distracted by Fiona's yelling.

"Mum!"
"What?" I sighed as I walked into the lounge. "What do you want?"
"Lydia keeps taking the remote and changing the channel!"
"Honey, she's two...she doesn't know what a remote is. She's probably just having fun bashing buttons. If you want, I can bring her into the kitchen with me,"
"Can you please?"
"Sure," I smiled.

I picked the toddler up, off the couch, and carried her into the kitchen; I sat her in her high chair and gave her some bread to play with. As she sat there, molding the stale bread, Fiona came running in; guess she got bored of the tv. I was still making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for the two of them.

"Mum," she said as he leaned against the counter.
"Yeah, bub?"
"Why do you always wear gloves when you make me my sandwiches?"
"Cause mummy's allergic to peanuts,"
"What does that mean?"
"It means, if it touches my skin, I'd get a really bad rash and, if I eat it, then my throat will close,"
"That's not good,"
"No, it's not," I said. "Baby, do you want the crust on or off?"
"Off and cut it into triangles,"
"Will do,"
"Thank you, mum,"
"No problem," I smiled as I handed her, her sandwich.
"Thanks mummy," she said as she headed for the dining room.

I put down everything for a second and picked Lydia up so I could carry her into the dining room; I set her in her high chair with ease. I strolled back into the kitchen to finish up Lydia's lunch; Winston said she likes hers cut into rectangles. As I was setting down her plate, someone started knocking on the door. I told the girls to stay put as I got up and answered to door.

"Hello?" I raised a brow. "Can I help you?"
"Hi," she smiled. "Is Winnie home?"
"No... Who are you?"
"I'm Jenny... His girlfriend..."
"Oh! Hi," I giggled. "Sorry, you dyed your hair; I can barley recognize you,"
"It's only a couple shades darker," she laughed.
"Well, you look very nice,"
"Thank you,"
"Where's Charlie?" I asked.
"Right here," he mumbled.
"Hi there, Charlie," I waved.
"Hi," he waved back.
"I'm actually making lunch, if you guys wanna come in,"
"What are you making?"
"Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches,"
"Sounds wonderful," she beamed. "Charlie, would you like to have lunch with Delilah and Lydia?"
"Sure," he shrugged.
"Um, actually, I should tell you that, my daughter is here as well,"
"Oh, I don't think I've ever met your daughter,"
"Oh, she's just the sweetest thing,"
"What's her name?"
"Fiona,"
"Yeah?" she yelled.
"How in gods name can you hear me?"
"Cause you're not quiet!"
"How old is she?" Jenny laughed.
"She's gonna be six in a few months," I said.
"Wow, so you were young when you had her,"
"Yeah," I mumbled. "How old were you when you had Charlie?"
"Early twenties," she said. "Wait, Charlie, have you ever met Fiona?"
"Mhmm," he mumbled.
"When?"
"Christmas,"
"Oh..."
"Come on in, everyone's in the dining room,"

We all sat around the table and ate our shitty little lunch. Fiona and Charlie made conversation as I talked to Jenny. When we were done eating, Jenny watched the kids as I cleaned up and did the dishes. Maybe it wasn't the best idea for me to do it, considering there was peanut butter literally everywhere. When I was done, I headed back into the living room and proposed an idea to Jenny.

"Hey, do you wanna take the kids to the park?" I asked.
"Mum," Fiona whined. "It's too hot to go outside!"
"I'll take you back home, okay? Have your father take you swimming or something,"
"Okay!"
"Come on," I smiled. "I'll be right back, Jen,"
"Okay," she said.

I held Fiona's hand and brought her across the street so Joe could watch her. He didn't want to admit it but, he was mad because I was taking him away from studying for his bar exam. When I dropped her off, I headed back to Winston's house to take everyone to the park.

"Hey, do you wanna drive or walk?" I asked.
"I'd prefer a drive," Jenny chuckled.
"I'll get the car started, then."

***

"Charlie, go play on the swings or something," Jenny said.
"Okay, mum," he said as he ran off.
"Dil," Lydia pouted.
"Yeah, bub?"
"I tired,"
"Awe, I wish you told me when we were at the house," I whispered as she sat on my lap.
"Mum," she whined. "I want mum to hold me," she cried as she kicked my legs.
"Who's mum, bub?"
"Mum!" she pointed to Jenny.
"Me?" she raised a brow. "Lyd, honey, I'm not your mum,"
"Yeah," she frowned.
"No... I'm Charlie's mum..."
"Just shut up, and hold her," I said, placing Lydia in Jenny's lap. "There... Better?" I asked.
"Yeah," she yawned.
"Take a nap," I smiled.
"I've never held her before," Jenny whispered.
"How have you never held her before?"
"Winnie always hold her..."
"Hey," I said.
"Yeah?"
"Have you ever been married?"
"No,"
"Engaged?" She shook her head. "Do you love my brother?"
"Yeah," she smiled warmly. "I do... He's the best thing that ever happened to me. Well, other than Charlie... How 'bout you, Delilah. Are you married?"
"Engaged,"
"Oh, congratulations!"
"Thank you," I giggled.
"When's the big day?"
"We're trying again in a few months. Wedding day, take two, if you will,"
"That was the lamest thing I have ever heard come out of your mouth," she laughed. "But in all seriousness, what do you mean you're trying for a second time?"
"On our wedding day, our daughter got really sick so, we called it off,"
"I'm sorry to hear that," she said.
"Hey, do you wanna come to the wedding?"
"Me? Really?"
"Yeah," I shrugged. "You and my brother have been dating for like a year now so yeah, why not. Come to my wedding,"
"I'd be happy to," she smiled. "Is that why you grew your hair out? Y'know, for the wedding?"
"Yeah," I chuckled. "My godmother made me,"
"Well, I think it looks very pretty. In my opinion, you should keep it 'long',"
"Nah, it just gets in the way. Thank you though... For saying that it looks pretty,"
"It does. I think it suits you,"
"Thanks," I blushed.

Joe: hey, Fiona says she's no feeling well. Please come home and help me
Delilah: you just wanna study for the bar, you little shit
Joe: damn right I wanna study for the bar. Please come home and entertain her!
Delilah: no
Joe: oh come on! I have her for the next three days while you study! Pleaseeee
Delilah: fine -_- but it's only cause I love you
Joe: thank you! You're the best!

"I gotta go," I laughed. "Joe wants me home so I can watch Fiona while he studies,"
"I understand. I think Lydia should really be getting home as well,"
"You're probably right," I sighed as I picked her up. "Say bye-bye Lyd,"
"Bye-Bye," she waved.
"What a good girl," I cheered as I kissed her cheek. "It was really nice talking to you, Jenny,"
"Yeah, it was great talking to you too, Dil,"
"See you at the wedding,"
"See you at the wedding."