Forgive Me

YEAR: 2042

[Delilah's POV]

Joe has been trying to apologize for a while now, but I keep turning him away. At this point, it's nothing personal, I just think we're better off without each other. I still let him drop by every once in a while and take Fiona out for the day; even thought we're broken up, he still deserves to see her. A couple days before her first birthday, Joe started texting me.

Joe: hi
Delilah: hi
Joe: can we talk?
Delilah: about?
Joe: getting back together
Delilah: joe, we have been over this, we're better off separated
Joe: see, I don't think that. I miss you Dil...
Delilah: don't let me tie you down... get you there, and be a normal 19 year old. ok? you don't wanna get tied down this young. trust me, you'll be thanking me for this, in the future
Joe: Delilah, please! how many times do I have to say I'm sorry?

"Miss Howlter, are you texting in my class?"
"No, Mrs. Griffin,"

Delilah: you don't have to say it anymore. I forgive you but I don't want to get back together. now drop it. I gtg
Joe: fine. bye.

I let out a sigh and put my phone back in my bag; not one minute later, bear was calling me.

"Mrs. Griffin, may I take this call?"
"No,"
"Please! It's my dad,"
"I'm sorry to be rude but, frankly my dear, I don't give a damn,"
"He could be calling about my daughter; she could be sick or injured! Please, let me take the call..."
"Fine," she sighed. "You have three minutes,"
"Thank you," I said as I walked out of the classroom. "What?"
"Whoa, don't be rude,"
"I'm sorry, I'm kinda in school. What do you want? I have three minutes before I get my ass handed to me,"
"Okay, Fiona has a really bad cough so, we're gonna take her to the doctor. Just letting you know so, when you get home, that's probably where we'll be,"
"Oh my god, bear," I sighed as I pinched the bridge of my nose. "Just take her into the bathroom, turn on the hot water, let the bathroom fill up with steam and sit there until her cough is gone. Okay? Her lungs just need to open up,"
"We already did that! We were in there for an hour and she's still coughing,"
"Okay," I sighed. "Um, just take her to the doctor, I'll get out as soon as I can,"
"No, stay in school. We'll text you when we find out what's wrong,"
"Okay, thanks. I gotta go,"
"Okay, bye princess,"

I let out another sigh before I slowly walked into my classroom again. I took my seat and Mrs. Griffin started giving me a sour look.

"See me after class, Delilah," she simply said.

My cheeks heated up in embarrassment as I slouched in my seat and carried on with the class. When the block was over, I walked up to her desk and pursed my lips as I waited for my punishment but, it never came.

"Is your daughter okay?" she asked.
"Huh?"
"Your daughter. Is she okay?"
"Oh, yeah, she just has a bad cough,"
"I'm sorry to hear that," she frowned. "How old is she?"
"She turns one on the eighteenth," I smiled.

Bear: she has whooping cough. she'll be okay in a week or two

"My dad just said she has whooping cough," I sighed.
"I'm sorry to hear that. My kids got that all the time when they were younger," she said. "Bye the way, I didn't know you had a kid and I'd like to apologize for my rudeness earlier in class. I kinda have to put on the mean face so students don't disrespect me,"
"I understand,"
"If you ever get a phone call from one of your parents again, just raise your hand and gesture to your phone and I'll let you go. Okay?"
"Okay, thank you,"
"Sorry for keeping you. Enjoy the rest of your day,"
"Thank you Mrs. Griffin," I said as I heard for the door.
"I hope your daughter gets better,"
"Thank you..."

I gave her an awkward smile and headed out to the quad so Tabitha and I could have lunch and relax.

"Heard you got in trouble with Mrs. Griffin," Tabitha teased.
"No," I sighed. "She's a sweetheart. She was just asking if Fiona was okay,"
"Why?"
"Cause I had to leave class for a few minutes cause bear called me. She has whooping cough, by the way,"
"Awe, poor baby," she pouted.
"She'll be fine. Winnie and I got it all the time when we were younger,"
"I'm glad," she smiled. "So, about Joe-"
"Stop,"
"What?"
"We're not getting back together, okay? Stop trying,"
"Fine...hurry up, we gotta get back to class,"
"Ugh, I barely ate," I complained.
"Eat it in class," she shrugged. "Is your teacher really gonna care?"
"No," I sighed. "Come on,"

We collected our things and headed to our next class; as we approached the building, we saw a large crowd of people surrounding the door.

"What the hell?" I whispered.
"Don't question, just push," she said as she shoved her way through the crowd.
"What the? Joe, why are you here?" I angrily asked.
"We don't believe what's on TV..."
"Joe, what are you-"
"Because it's what we want to see,"
"Let us in the building,"
"And what we want, we know we can't believe,"
"We have all learned to kill our dreams," a familiar man joined in.
"Tyler," I gasped. "Joe, what are you-"
"I need to know that when I fail you'll still be here. 'Cause if you stick around I'll sing you pretty sounds, and we'll make money selling your hair," Tyler continued.
"I don't care what's in your hair,
I just wanna know what's on your mind. I used to say, "I wanna die before I'm old," but because of you I might think twice,"
"Alright," I mumbled, "second verse,"
They cracked a smile and continued, "What if my dream does not happen?
Would I just change what I've told my friends? Don't wanna know who I would be, when I wake up from a dreamer's sleep. I need to know that when I fail you'll still be here. 'Cause if you stick around I'll sing you pretty sounds, and we'll make money selling your hair,"
"But I don't care what's in your hair,
I just wanna know what's on your mind. I used to say, "I wanna die before I'm old," but because of you I might think twice," Joe finished. "Will you marry me, Delilah?"

I looked to the ground for a minute and let out a sigh; I took a step towards him and smiled.

"I don't care what's in your hair,
I just wanna know what's on your mind. I used to say, "I wanna die before I'm old," but because of you I might think twice," I sang as I kissed him.
"Is that a yes?"
"Yes."