Say Something

YEAR: 2040

[Winston's POV]

"Winnie-"
"Stefi, I don't want you to think I'm only doing this because of the baby. I'm not that kind of person, and-"
"And I know that," she smiled.
"I am doing this because I love you...now, I'll ask you again. Will you-"
"Yes, you idiot!" she cheered as she kissed me.
"You were gonna say something, weren't you? Y'know before I drastically changed our lives," I laughed.
"Oh, yeah," she whispered. "So, I went to the doctors yesterday, so I could get checked out," she started crying again. "And..."
"And what?"
"Promise me, you'll still love me after I tell you..."
"Yes, of course I'll still love you. Now, what is it? You're making me nervous. Are you okay? Please, tell me you're okay,"
"Well..." she bit her lip.
"Stefi...please, I beg of you, tell me,"
"I'm not pregnant..."
"Are you crazy? That's amazing!" She dug her face into her hands and started to cry even more. "I-It is amazing, right? Our lives won't be wavered too much..."
"Winnie, yes it is good that I'm not pregnant but, at the appointment, they told me something...something that honestly kills me,"
"What is it?"
"I have cysts on my ovaries..."
"What does that mean?" I whispered.
"It can mean a number of things," she sighed. "It can be a sign of cancer, it can be benine and kinda just be there," she mumbled. "In my case, it's a sign of infertility,"
"No..." I cried.

At that exact moment, my body froze. My heart shattered into a million pieces and I could do nothing but stand there and cry. My head fell as I latched my arms around Stefanie, and pulled her into a tight hug. She dug her face into the crook of my neck and let out a few depressed sobs.

"Do you still love me?" she whispered.
"I'll always love you to Pluto and back. And nothing, not even cysty ovaries will change that," I kissed her head.
"Hey Winnie," Delilah called. "Dad and bear want..." she trailed off. "You guys okay?"
"Oh yeah," I sniffed.
"No you're not," she hugged me. "What happened?"
"Should we tell her?" Stefanie asked.
"It's your call,"
"Okay," she sighed. "First of all," she smiled, "Winnie and I just got engaged,"
"Oh my god!" Delilah cheered. "Tyler and Troye gonna kill you," she laughed as she pointed at me. "Anyway, what's the other thing?"
"I can't have kids..." Stefanie whispered.
"Oh my god," Delilah said as she gave Stef and tight hug. "I'm so sorry..."
"It's not your fault..."
"We should get back," I said.
"Yeah, we probably my should."

***

After graduation, we all went home, only to be surprised with a party. While the Oakley's joined us at graduation, Louise, Darcy, Uncle Martyn and Adrian, set up the house.

"Oh my god, guys! You didn't have to do this!" Delilah and I said.
"We wanted to," Louise smiled.
"Actually, your dads forced us," Adrian mumbled.
"Shut up," Martyn said.
"Hey kids," a kind voice said.
"Hey Cornelia," we waved.
"Would you mind if I take a few pictures?"
"Sure," we rolled our eyes.

Delilah took off her glasses, so there wouldn't be a glare, then set her left elbow on my right shoulder so she was leaning on me; as she did this I just held up a peace sign, like bear does at awkward times.

"Oh come on guys," she sighed. "One nice picture,"
"With these two? Please," bear scoffed. "Take the opportunity when you have it. Take the god damn picture,"
"Fine," she said. "Smile guys,"

Delilah and I both flashed her forced smiles as she took the picture.

"Great, now can I take one without the robes and caps?"
"Cornelia," we groaned.
"Please guys!"
"Cor, they wouldn't even let us take pictures. What makes you think they'll let you take pictures?" Dad chuckled.
"I don't know," she shrugged. "I'm proud of you guys," she said as she headed back to the kitchen.
"I'm gonna go take this off," Delilah giggled as she headed upstairs.
"Yeah, I'm gonna take mine off too," I said as I placed my cap on Stefanie's head and walked upstairs.
"Winnie," Delilah called.
"Hold on," I mumbled as I took my robe off. "What?" I said, walking into her room.
"What's Stef's ring size?"
"Five, I think,"
"Perfect," she smiled. She started digging through her jewelry box and eventually pulled out a small diamond ring with a gold band. "Jess gave this to me before our surgery...she said it was an apology gift or something like that. I've never worn it and honestly, I can't ever see myself wearing it so, I want you to give it to Stef..."
"Dil...I-I can't take this from you..."
"Winnie, please. You've both had a rough day and she is your fiancé now. Now fucking put a ring on her finger so she can be like, 'bam bitch, imma be a Howlter!'" she laughed. "Come on, just take it,"
"Dil-"
"Winston Alexander Howlter, take the ring for fucks sake,"
"Thank you," I whispered. I took the ring from her hands and gave her a tight hug. "I love you so much Delilah...never forget that..."
"I won't," she hugged back.
"Come on," I mumbled. We headed back downstairs; I immediately caught everyone's attention. "Excuse me...everyone. Hello..."
"Hi," Darcy chuckled back.
"I'd um...I'd like to say something,"
"Oh my lord, you are so awkward," Delilah whispered as she sat on the couch.
"Earlier today, I asked this amazing girl," I grabbed Stefanie's hand, "to marry me,"
"You what!" Tyler yelled.
"Papa, don't hurt him! Please, I love him..." she panicked. "Go on,"
"I just wanted to make it official," I smiled as I got down on my knee.
"Winston," bear muttered. "You shouldn't be down on your bad knee- oh fuck it," he sighed. "Phil is your-"
"Camera out? Way ahead of you Danny,"
"Stefanie-"
"Don't say it," she laughed.
"Gaga Oakley-"
"I hate you,"
"Will you marry me?" I asked as I held up the ring.
"Yes," she smiled. She helped me up, gave me a quick kiss, and a hug before I slid the ring onto her finger.
"Where'd you get that?" bear asked.
"Jess gave it to me," Delilah said. "It was her grandmothers, I think,"
"It's gorgeous," Stefanie said. "I love you," she kissed my cheek.
"I love you too."

***

After the party, everyone, except Stefanie, went home; almost everyone drunk off their asses. When we were positive dad and bear were asleep, we all climbed onto the roof and looked at the stars.

"So Dil, what college are you going to?" Stefanie asked.
"Winnie and I are both going to York,"
"Why York?"
"I got a scholarship for football," she said.
"And I got an academic scholarship,"
"Plus, dad is a noble alumni so it was relatively easy getting in," Delilah giggled. "How 'bout you?"
"Papa pulled some strings and got me into the University of Manchester,"
"Wait, so-"
"So I'd be closer to you guys," she smiled. "I'm only gonna be an hour and a half away,"
"I'd take that over a 15 hour plane rise anyday," I chuckled.
"Hey look," Stefanie hit my arm and pointed to the sky. "Shooting star...make a wish..."

We all closed our eyes for a brief second before opening them and letting out a sigh.

"What'd you guys wish for?" Stefanie asked.
"To remain cancer free," Delilah whispered. "You?"
"To get these fucking cysts off my ovaries," she groaned. "Winnie?"

I cracked a content smile and intertwined my hands with both girls and let out a faint sigh.

"I didn't wish for anything," my grip on their hands tightened.
"Why not?" Stef asked.
"Because," I kissed her cheek. "I don't want anything," I smiled. I let go of Delilah's hand, threw my arm over her shoulder, and pulled her in for a tight hug. "My life is perfect just the way it is."