Chapter 1

My surroundings involved a number of things, but the image of raindrops captivated me the most. When you really want to reflect on the concept of rain, and water falling from above, your thoughts are anything but scientific.

Rain symbolizes many things, to many diff­­­erent people, that is the beauty behind It, it never ceases to create meaning. ­­­­­­

For me, rain was a blessing that brought clarity to everything tainted in this world. It was a form of purity and the epitome of hope.

When I say hope, I mean, after days and months of being patient, after living inside a prison, these tiny droplets were finally free from the clouds gloom, and such endurance, eventually made them emancipate.

The thought of being free made me smile, of witnessing this freedom occur right before me, was truly magical.

If only life could be as simple as this moment.

The bell resonated throughout the classroom. Students were already settled in, but my gaze was still fixated on the way the rain caressed the trees and nurtured the flowers. I didn't want this moment to end; I refused to look away from the transparent window.

I heard my name, but I pretended I was still in another mystical dimension.

"Aster" and again, but this time the voice sounded unfamiliar, it wasn't my best friend. I reverted my eyes, exhaling heavily; I looked up at a manly figure.

I knew who he was, majority of the girls were doing what they were best at and blabbing all day about Mr. Coles replacement.

I was thankful Mr. Cole decided to retire. It was exhausting, sitting there and not doing what we've initially paid the school for, just to listen to an old man talk about his childhood days and his experiences and so forth.

From the peripheral of my eyes, it was obvious everyone was intently watching me, waiting for me to throw a remark.

I put my hand up, "I exist."

A smile spread across my face, and instantaneously, my moment of true happiness faded away.

I heard my best friend Stella beside me cough out a laugh. I didn't even bother looking around, some of them were either rolling their eyes, used to my lame remarks, or cheering me on, which only included the guys, plus Stella off course.

My focus was on the mystery man, who managed to take over the school gossip. He disregarded my comment, and continued to mark the roll.

His face was hidden, engrossed with the role call paper, all I could consume was his body stance. I decided it was best not to flesh him out in public; I didn't want to level my standards with every girl ogling in his direction.

"Good Morning class, my name is Mr. Vervain, and I'll be your teacher for this year, and of course, your last year as a senior,"

His voice -the sound of void- made me instantly look up.

I was met with the intensity of his gaze and just for a minute, my eyes reflected his, then I looked away.

"Aster was it?" Mr. Vervain clarified.

His face invaded my mind, from mere seconds ago; his hazel eyes burned into mine.

I had to compose myself, I didn't know why I was getting worked up, but I was unusually nervous.

I looked up, reminding myself that he may look decent on the outside, but I knew appearance is without a doubt most deceiving.

"Still is," I said calmly, eliminating the nerves, reassuring him that his serious demeanor didn't intimidate me.