Chapter 29

My eyes fluttered open. Before I could register anything surrounding me, I sat there for a moment soaking up the warmth of the sun.

I felt at peace, a slight smile crossed my face.
Thoughts and memories filled my mind.
Words and feelings exchanged last night.
Mr. Vervain.

His fragrance invaded my senses, I adjusted my eyes and realized I was covered with a silky blanket.

Mr. Vervain is soft. That would be the only explanation as to why I'm in his room, and not on the couch, because when I say something it goes, either or, no one can miraculously change my logic and I was seriously adamant about sleeping on the couch.

His stubbornness makes me boil sometimes, it really irks me, but that's all it does, because he's so soft with me.

I made my way to the bathroom, and washed my face. I stood there for a good two minutes admiring the way my face glittered, with light.

I slept extremely well.
Sleeping beauty wouldn't feel as euphoric as I did, that's how good I felt.

I tied my hair in a bun, looking at Mr. Vervains clothes, the state I was in. I'm not a girl, I honestly defy every stereotypical aspect referred to women, ladies and girls.

I haven't had the opportunity to shower in my own home, smell like something other than Mr. Vervain, and wear decent, girly clothes.

I sat on the bed, thinking how utterly poor I am and look.

I have a couple of clothes Stel lends me every now and then, definitely not because she knows of my financial, life-state, but in hopes of transforming me into a girl that acts like one.

I bolted up rapidly, remembering my appointment with Coach Zayn. I grabbed my phone, it read 6am.

"Shit!" I quickly ran out the door, almost forgetting to be mindful that I was in Mr. Vervains house. 

I was one hour late, and I didn't even know how to get there from here.

I needed to tell Mr. Vervain, there was no other alternative.

"Ugh!" I face palmed myself. He's in Haley's room of course, and that would be wrong to just walk in on them.

I heard shuffling from the kitchen and walked towards the sound.

I saw a beautiful lady, perhaps 24, in Mr. Vervains kitchen. Her caramel highlights mixed with blonde made her tanned face appear more prominent. She had baby blue eyes, and even though she wasn't squinting, her eyes were shaped narrower than the normal.

She looked at me knowingly, "Hi Aster, Michael told me you'll be crashing here every once in a while," Her smile was dull when she greeted me, this made me reinforce my defensive walls, "My name's Sandy, I'm the new nanny." Her hand lingered mid air, she looked at me expecting me to return the handshake. I just stared at her and thought of Mr. Vervains choice of a Nanny, men are all the same, he's no different. 

My heart constricted. I swallowed the lump in my throat, switched off my emotions and gave her the fakest smile I could muster up.

"Interesting, well I'm off." I walked away without giving her a second glance. I could have sworn she said something, but It was disregarded.

I knocked softly and entered Haley's room. The sight before me would have softened any part of me, but it didn't. Mr. Vervain was squished in between Haley and her bears, his eyes automatically opened when he heard me walk in.

I felt numb. Looking at him, in this moment, didn't ignite anything, it spread this numbness.

Mr. Vervain raised his eyebrows, automatically sensing that something was off. I didn't give away how I truly felt, but my mood didn't go unnoticed.

"I have an appointment somewhere, I know it's your day off but no one can take me besides you" I said nonchalantly, "if this wasn't important I wouldn't have asked." It was the truth. I hated relying on him. From this day forth, this discomfort wont subside. This Nanny will be roaming around the house, day and night. I can't. I'm not his responsibility anyways, I'm his student. What we shared was momentary, and those moments will remain in the past, where they happened.

"Ok" Mr. Vervain didn't move, he just stared. And silently questioned what happened. His eyes became pitch black, he tilted his head towards Haley and I left the room instantly.

I don't want to create any more memories, of Haley, of Mr. Vervain, of us. The scariest thing is, I know what this feeling entails, I know what being numb does to me, I know that today had been a wake up call, the universe is calling out to me.

I stood outside, not wanting to witness their encounter. Mr. Vervain walked towards the car, wearing a black track suit. He unlocked the car, but my eyes were hooked on his thick hair, it was combed but it looked naturally in place.

He stared at me, his features hardened. It was obvious that I've infected him with the same mood. I didn't care though, reality is, men are men. Mr. Vervain is a decent man, but this woman will be living with them from now on. She will partake in raising Haley, and sharing conversations with Mr. Vervain.

I felt like my heart burnt and turned into ashes.. just the thought of it breaks me. The idea of being jealous, weakened me. It reminds me of who I am, where I came from, what I have, what I am. I'm tainted.

I'm no one actually.

I looked at him, as if, It was the last time.
My heart was beating out of my chest, looking at him made it worse, his facade was screwed on.
As if he knew. That this would be our last real encounter. That our prideful nature, won't allow us to succumb to each other. The fact that we were both fighting forces, that transcended our feelings for one another.

We both broke our moment and entered the car, all I heard was my voice navigating him, and the car engine.

We came to a halt, I noticed Coach Zayn standing in front of his basement, arms crossed and very, very pissed off.