Chapter 7

I roamed down the hall way, despite the flickering lights that were reacting to the storm outside, it still felt dull. The black lockers reflected the white paint all around the school, I began to trace them as I made my way towards the exit sign.

Science never really seemed to absorb into my brain cells. I could never understand the chemistry between the different chemical reactions. It just sounded jibrish to my ears. I didn't have to think twice on skipping it, Mr. Williams would without a doubt, be given a notice of my absence, but it was the least of my worries.

It happened to be the last class I had before school was over and of course, detention. I lit my cigarette, and leaned against the school building. I peered around me wondering where Ben was. My thoughts were acknowledged as I watched him stroll down from the parking lot to his smoking spot, which was mine as well.

He was a short kid, but very reserved and mysterious. Always speaking in a monotone way, without any hint of expression.

"What up Beani?" I nodded, plastering a smile. He looked at me but gave away no reaction. Lighting his cigarette, Ben made sure there was a safe distance between us.

"How are you kid?" Attempting again, as always. "I like your shirt, it's new hey?" I continued exhaling.

Ben made an annoyed facial expression, and rubbed his forehead with his other free hand. He was decent looking, but very foreign to the norm of stereotypical teenagers. You couldn't place him in a particular category; he chose not to have friends, not to socialize, not to be noticed in this school. But out of everyone, he was the first kid that caught my eye. We were the same age, but I still felt like I was older.

"I hate life." I said not expecting him to answer. I inhaled my smoke. "It's interesting, when you think about this cigarette, how momentary the effect it can have on you, relieving the stress we constantly feed ourselves." I said peering at it, my mind penetrating the cigarette."But we know this feeling, this burden we're trying to get rid of is gradually burning out in front of us, like a means to an end, and we're back to square one."

I rested my head on the wall contemplating my reality, turning my head to Ben, expecting him to be in a different world of his own. I found him staring at me, with confusion plastered in his eyes. I held his gaze and said "I've been talking to you every day for two months in this spot and this is like the first reaction I get from you." I said smiling widely. "Mission Impossible 1 complete!"

He automatically frowned, and gave me a sour look. He got up and threw his cigarette and walked away. I smiled, what a Ben thing to do.

When I heard the sound of the bell I started walking towards Mr. Vervain's class. I didn't hesitate, feeling numb again.

Thinking about him made me realize that I never grew up with a father, I never felt secure or protected or loved by one. And as a result of that, the feelings that have been erupting towards Mr. Vervain was because of this reason alone. This explains my abnormal behaviour when he's around, he acts like a father I never had. Yes, that was it.

I felt calm as I walked into his room. I made myself comfortable on the front table and waited for him to come. I crossed my arms and rested my head feeling my eyes droop a little.

I heard the door and sat up straight. Mr. Vervain nodded his head towards me, adjusting his navy suit and sat on his desk. I could tell that he was organized, seeing that his files were set in one corner, pencils and pens in different cup holders and his suit case neatly placed on the side of the table.

I lifted my gaze, noticing that his eyes were tiresome. I don't know how I didn't realize the faint shade of black under them before. I felt guilty for giving him a rough time with my attitude when he has problems of his own. He had two arms supporting him while his head was down buried in his hands.

I felt the need to console him, but all I could muster up was "How are you Mr. Vervain?" I said but with a drop of emotion. He lifted his head up slowly as if he just realised I was here and composed himself.

"I'm fine, Aster." He said nonchalantly, sensing his walls, keeping me in line. I glared at him not understanding his problem. We just had a moment less than 2 hours ago and he's back to being cold.

I held myself before I could regret anything that came out of me. Mr. Vervain could notice that I was restraining myself but gave away nothing.

We sat there quietly for 10 minutes, he was scribbling on a piece of paper while I was looking at the ceiling. This detention is worse than Science I thought. 50 minutes left of silence. Joy.

"Aster come here for a second." Mr. Vervain called out, keeping his focus on the paper.

I raised my eyebrows, but jolted up quickly, happy that I had something to do than listening to the overwhelming silence.

"At your service!" I said smiling. I brought a chair and sat next to him. We were only 5 inches away. Mr Vervain raised his right eyebrow and gave me a weird look. "What? be honoured." I said rolling my eyes."What do you want?"

I asked, annoyed that he doesn't have an easy going persona. "Be nice Aster." He stated firmly. "I need you to look at this poem for me and tell me what grade it deserves." He handed me the paper and I took it off him, surprised.

I turned my face realizing our close proximity. "W-W-why?" I stuttered, "I'm just a student" I could see his eyes so clearly now. Unlike mine, they were filled with so much emotion, sorrow.

I could tell that he had just realized how close we were. He moved a little so he could face me but he accidentally brushed his knee against mine. It was innocent, but it had a major effect on my heart rate. Mr. Vervain gazed at me for a while, not moving away from our touch. "You're talented Aster, your point of view will make a difference." He said half smiling.

Disregarding his comment, I couldn't help but blurt out the next words, "Why are you sad Mr. Vervain? I can feel your energy from just one look at you, it's heart wrenching." I said honestly. Trying not to show too much emotion, but inside I cared for him. The theory I came
up with about him being a fatherly figure extinguished in an instance. It was far from that, I cared in a way I couldn't place yet.

Mr. Vervain's eyes grew wide, obviously not expecting my blunt honesty. He stood up and walked towards the door and pulled it open. "Leave." He said, his serious face didn't seem like a facade, and the coldness in his voice felt like a quick stab to the heart.

I felt like I was going to break down, his actions reminded me of my brutal heartless parents. I was just trying to understand him, like he has been for me. Perhaps our feelings weren't mutual, and he was just being a good, private teacher. My hurt turned into anger and I stood up.

"Don't talk to me so condescendingly Mr. Vervain. You always point out how I always run away from my problems, well that's what you're doing now!" I screamed, fed up with everything. I was fine sulking on my own, with one friend and two abusive parents to worry about. But now this, I wouldn't be able to endure it.

I grabbed my bag and heard his phone ring. He stared at me mirroring the anger that I was feeling all exposed in his beautiful eyes. He looked at the caller ID and his entire face changed from anger to fear. He picked it up quickly. "Baby are you ok? Is everything alright?" He said, more like screamed on the phone.

I stood there, surprised. I watched a different person unfold before me, his exterior completely stripped. "Ok baby I'm coming, don't let her touch you do you understand and tell Elle to keep you with her until I come."

He looked at me, his eyes full of anger and fear. "Can't talk to you right now Aster, I need to go, your detentions over get home safely." I felt an adrenalin rush surge through me because of the way he was acting. I was so worried, I didn't know how to react. I made up my mind.

"I'm coming with you Mr. Vervain, whatever it is I want to help you." I demanded. Feeling his energy resonating through me.

Mr. Vervain shook his head in disbelief. "Are you crazy? I don't have time for this nonsense." He picked up his keys and left the classroom in a hurry.

I looked after his retreating figure. Maybe I can't save myself, but I have an opportunity to help Mr. Vervain. I knew I would regret this, I didn't know what came over me but deep down I felt that Mr. Vervain had no helping hand, and I wanted to be the hand that was willing to help him because I had nothing to lose.