Chapter 26

I could hear faint footsteps approaching our table. Mason retrieved his laptop from the car because he was in the middle of writing a report for one of his clients when I called.

Mason didn't even attempt to make small talk, he just let me be. I could be my complete self around him. I found it comforting, there was no need to elaborate on things. We both knew that there would be a lot of that when Mr. Vervain shows up.

What am I supposed to tell him?

Would I have to?

I informed Mason that there's a slight possibility that Mr. Vervain might know where these injuries came from, so he didn't need to worry about anything.

I closed my eyes, resting my head on my arms. I had to distract myself, the scenarios that my brain kept on rejuvenating all seemed to go horribly wrong.

My hearing senses were fixated on an old couple's conversation.

'Don't worry Jim, life can do all it wants, we have each other'

'But Linda, our savings will only last us a month. How will we survive darling? Who will take care of us'

His voice sounded so broken. But for some reason, with so many emotions running through me, guilt, pain, despair... their situation didn't leave room for any mourning.

'My love, I'm not saying this isn't difficult, I'm saying it is, but we will get through this, because we stand together'

"Aster? What is she doing here" Mr. Vervains voice echoed, and my focus was automatically shattered. My nerves were racing, but not in a bad way. It was like this cloud that's been following me everywhere, pouring its rain down on me, just merely stopped.

I kept my face down, eyes closed. I could feel a tear drop sliding on my cheek, reminding me of the amount of love I just witnessed.

"It's not what you think Mike, she's had it rough' Masons stern voice didn't go unnoticed. I could tell he was trying to protect me from Mr. Vervains rage, that seemed to appear more frequently these days.

"Aster, I know you can hear me" I felt him moving besides me.

"So" I shut my eyes, counting to 5. I'm stronger than this. He can't see me this weak. I can't reciprocate this feeling, he deserves peace in his life.

I sat up straight, angled my head to the right. Any attempt to avoid his gaze was destroyed within a second when he touched my face, tilting it towards him.

Mr. Vervains eyes were pitch black. He removed his hand, clenching his fists for the life of him.

"I tripped" I smiled slightly. Mason started choking on his drink and I could tell he wasn't expecting me to lie, well attempt to do so. Let's just face it, I'm an open book when it comes to Mr. Vervain.

"Don't lie" Mr. Vervain shut his eyes, maintaining his calm.

"Mike don't push her" Mason muttered.

"Why are you even here Mason?" I could tell the man sitting next to me was about to explode. The man sitting in front of him was about to lose his calm. And I, well I had to save this soon-to-be quarrel.

"Hey Mason, you should get back to work. We will talk soon" I spoke verbally, but visually, I ordered him to get the hell out of here before we made a scene.

"Ok. I leave you in good hands, I hope." Mason eyed Mr. Vervain, also visually, informing him to go easy on me.

Mr. Vervain was about to say something but I quickly held his hand. They were still clenched. His honeylike orbs were slowly illuminating with gold. I began to unclench them slowly, my heart never failing to beat.

Mason was nowhere to be found. I sighed, internally thanking his common sense for kicking in.

Mr. Vervains fingers were unresponsive. I tried to burry my disappointment. His anger was surfacing again.

"What happened?" his words came out starkly. "Don't you dare lie"

"I...." Tears began to overflow.

Mr. Vervain removed his hand, slowly moving them on my injuries. I tried not to react to the pain, I couldn't make him see, or feel, this agony.

"Breathe Aster" I couldn't inhale or exhale properly. My breathing was accelerating.

"Paa-nick att-"

"Shh" Mr. Vervain moved quickly, he carried me from my seat, everything was blurry after that.

"Get out" He placed me on something hard. All I could feel after that was water on my face, my neck, my hands.

"Drink" I opened my mouth and I could feel my chest gradually moving at a normal pace. I leaned my head on the wall behind me, closing my eyes, embracing this horrible feeling.

Mr. Vervains fingers softly caressed my hair. I opened my eyes slowly and met his agonizing gaze. He separated my legs and moved closer.

"I'm sorry" I sighed. For everything Michael...

His eyes were inches away from mine. He looked at me, confused by my words.

"What are you doing to me" Mr. Vervain inched closer. My erratic breathing was slowly returning, but for a different reason this time.

"Inhale with me" He inhaled and I mimicked his movements. We began to inhale and exhale together, as if we were two souls in one.

"I feel better" I said. Wanting to reassure him that I was hyperventilating for a different reason.

"I don't" Mr. Vervain rested his forehead on mine, our proximity evident. I could tell he was being careful with touching a tender spot. I moved my hand and placed it on his.

"Am I hurting you" He tried to move his hand away from my hair, but I held him tighter.

"Am I?" I gazed at him like he was my moon in midst of the night.

He adjusted his hand intertwining them together "What do you think Aster" He sighed, looking at me like I was the sun in his gloomy days.

"You're staying over tonight" He affirmed.

"I know" trying to muster up any ounce of energy left in me, I gave him a 'i-know-you-too-well' smile.

"Why are you so quiet" I could feel him breathing on me, whatever he exhaled, I inhaled.

He was melting me...

"I'm used to this Michael. I'm ok. I'm worried about you" I said calmly.

I just wanted to fixate this moment, his touch, these feelings, permanently.

"You are something Aster" Tightening his grip on our intertwined fingers,  he moved closer.

"I want to dissolve into you Aster" I felt his chest move with the beat of mine.

"I want to internalize you, and cure every ache in you."

His nose caressing, eyes open, penetrating me with every word.

"I can't breathe Mr. Vervain" I could feel my wounds taking a toll on me, but this feeling was too overwhelming.

He shut his eyes, trying to restrain himself.

"I don't want to move"

He knew I said that because of the affect he was having on me. He knew the panic attack I had seconds ago, was long gone.

Mr. Vervain understood me without words because he felt me.

My brain wasn't functioning right, but he was right. That's all I knew.

"Don't move" I slipped my hand away from him and gently grabbed his neck closer..