Chapter 41

We sat in the booth that encapsulated some of my encounters with Mr. Vervain and Mason.

The feeling that overcame was nostalgic.

I remembered crying over Mr. Vervain and the cold shoulder he had given me in the past. But also the way he was gentle when he handled my outburst and panic attack, his soothing words during my moments of sheer pain.

I recalled Mason's attempt to analyze me, decode every facial expression I masked. The deal I brought forth, and how it had been easily sealed with no questions asked.

My lover and my half-brother. Both rocks that were miraculously placed in the middle of an isolated ocean, to get me by.

If I were to write a book, I would start with a hopeless beginning, a means to an end. But after the unexpected people who entered my life, to fulfill a purpose larger than themselves, a purpose that requires me to complete. I can only say, hopeless isn't how I would end it.

I stared at Mr. Vervain's face. The wrinkles that formed near the shape of his eye, seamlessly, didn't amount to exhaustion, but an expression beyond that. I pictured his eyes that dazed, in love and excitement hours ago, they were now guarded and filled with void.

I looked at him with a solemn expression, afraid to break down or give away the turmoil I felt. I had a reason for concealing parts of my life, I didn't want him to see the cracks that tore me apart day by day. I wanted him to absorb me. See me. Want me. Love me. With no condition or sympathy.

Mason rubbed his head, evident that he was unsure on how or where to start.

I didn't take my eyes off  Mr. Vervain's distant ones.

The way he looked at Mason and I, when he walked in, unsettled me till no end. If he was shocked, disappointed or disapproving; nothing, I mean, not even a glitch in his features confirmed it.

"Where do I start.." Mason said in a way that prompted me to interject. But I didn't.

I could tell by Mason's narrowed eyes, what they were communicating. It was my idea I know, but everything is easier said than done. My voice suddenly lost its rhythm, it was out of my control.

"Start" Mr. Vervain's eyes didn't falter from mine.

I gulped and broke eye contact to look at Mason.

"Start" I reluctantly whispered.

"Ok. Just hear me out before you skip to conclusions" Mason slowly worded it. He clearly sensed Mr. Vervain's discomfort.

"Start" Mr. Vervain repeated his words, clenching his teeth.

"Remember when I told you I became a psychologist, because I somewhat, lived through something that reminded me how helpless I was?"

Mr. Vervain looked in his direction and nodded.

"I had a baby sister. Not biologically, but a half-sister I considered my own. Her mother and my father made it their mission in life to torture us. When they found each other it was like bonny and clyde, but the evil version. She abused her verbally and my father abused me physically, mentally and emotionally. You name it." Mason sighed.

All along I was focused on Mr. Vervain. His facial expressions transitioned gradually, what was left and remained plastered on his face was one of confusion.

"One day, they both decided my sister was old enough to beat up. I, being the older brother, and she the only human in this world who I loved, who gave me the strength to fight. I decided to take her beatings. But I could only take so much..." Mason's eyes brimmed with tears and so did mine.

Mr. Vervain looked between the both of us putting two and two together. Mason kept on going.

"I tried to come up with an escape plan that included taking her with me, but every end result failed in my head. I vowed I would come back and get her when I found a place and save money. But as the years went by, my nightmares lessened, my heart ache began to conceal itself. This traumatic experience needed to be buried. Maybe my heart would stop beating if I held onto her, to what I lived through.. I don't know why my subconscious didn't alert me when I set eyes on her, but I knew I was drawn to her for a reason. My memories were so far gone, I started to believe the monsters that stole my childhood were part of my illusions.." Mason inhaled and exhaled all the heaviness he felt.

My heart was beating out of its place, I was in pain. A small side to me envied him for running away and growing up to be this normal person, who graduated and made a life of his own. But I knew deep down, he spent half of his life helping mentally challenged and psychotic people to soothe this subconscious ache he had carried ever since.

"Aster?" Mr. Vervain didn't pose a full, comprehensible question, but he didn't need to.

Before Mason could answer I did.

"Yes Mr. Vervain. Mason is my brother.. we just found out" I sighed. Feeling defeated. I stared at Mr. Vervain's dumbfounded expression.

"How did you find out?" Mr. Vervain spoke in a haze.

"I called Mason to come pick me up, I needed someone to talk to about us... to remind me I'm not dreaming. That I'm worthy of your love." A tear slid down my face. "But somehow my parents abusing me slipped and he somehow completed the puzzle and drove to my house"

Mr. Vervain rubbed his temple. It was a lot to take in hence why Mason and I took every reaction we received from him into consideration.

"One more thing. Uhm, I don't live at the house where you drop me off" I bit my lip. Mr. Vervains glare was deadly, but I faintly smiled. "It's a shithole Mr. Vervain, curiosity shouldn't kill any poor cats."

"What if something happened to you and I couldn't reach you Aster? How could you lie to me?" Instead of seeing anger, Mr. Vervain's eyes trickled.

My tears slipped, i knew how bad this made him feel. How helpless and betrayed.

"I'm sorry. I was trying to protect you from me" I said defeated.

"No Aster. That's my job! Don't you understand? If something happened to you I would rip the world to shreds. I would be ripped to shreds" Mr. Vervain scooted closer and looked into my eyes. He wiped my tears away, "This changes nothing." Mr. Vervain affirmed, looking at Mason.

Mason's face was one of sadness, as if he was the root cause to all my pain.

"We called you here so we can come up with a plan, to help Aster get out of this situation. I can't let her go back there. I won't. Over my dead body." Mason aimed those words at me with a hint of rage.

"I agree. I don't know where to start, knowing the both of you are siblings. But we can discuss this later, that way I have time to digest this information." Mr. Vervain looked into my eyes with reassurance and a glimmer of hope.

"Ok that's set. Let's go back to my place and find a loop hole in all of this. Aster you're staying at mine tonight" Mason reiterated.

"No she can stay at mine" Mr. Vervain narrowed his eyes.

"No. I just found my sister, I need time with her" I watched their exchange. I sensed their protective instinct kicking in.

"Uhm guys, I'm still here" I smiled. "I have a voice I swear"

Their eyes turned towards me and I waved. The tension and everything negative about this situation obliterated. I felt light and secure with the both of them.

"I'm staying with Mason tonight Michael" I said his name, for the first time in a while, like he was my equal.

The glow between the two of us lit like an endless flame. I could tell this had an affect on him and it worked in calming him down.

"Ok." Mr. Vervain resigned.

Mason looked at Mr. Vervain bewildered.

"Who are you? And what have you done with my best friend?" Mason's smile gradually revived the atmosphere.

If looks could kill, Mason would be buried six feet under. Mr. Vervain stood up and walked out, expecting us to follow. And we did.

It's time for my resurrection. My freedom.