Chapter 6

I was still in shock when I ran into my best friend Stella on the fourth period of class. We only had one class together which unfortunately ended up being Mr. Vervains English class.

"Assy girl! I've missed you. I won't ask how your weekend went given the lifeless life u choose to live." Stella rolled her eyes, as she rambled on as we walked towards our seating area next to the window, giving us a perfect outlook of the field.

"Stella please, I have a life, it's called embodying fictional characters and living in different dimensions. What more do I want from this world?" beaming at her was a wrong move because her sour expression really made me contemplate how I was perceived by the people that knew me, who only happened to be her.

I was about to explain myself further, when I spotted Cecilia sitting on our spot with her puppets. I braced myself, ready to unleash the anger I felt surging. Any bad reaction always satisfied people like her.

Stella held my arm firmly when she noticed my irrational behaviour unravelling, "Let it go Assy, not worth it," I looked into her caring eyes and calmed down a little.

"She knows that's our spot Stel, I don't understand why people like to get under my skin," I felt defeated. I'm not used to any one stepping all over me without giving them a fight.

Cecilia flashed me a winning smile, more like wicked, before I death glared her and resorted to the two available seats that were located in front of Mr. Vervains desk.

Now that I remembered his existence, the rage that I felt prior might have been bottled up. The state Mr. Vervain left me in was frustrating. I can usually read people by their body language, but I've actually conversed with him. I've been put in several situations that have, to some extent, brought out his true side. But when I think about it, his personality always shifts from one extreme to the next.

"McDreamy has braced us with his beauty once again," Stella squeaked. She was so cute when she became excited about something. Usually, she would get excited when she eats her favourite chocolate, or when she watches romantic movies or even when she gets A's on her exam, this was her norm. I would usually get excited with her, because honestly nothing genuinely excited me besides her, but this time I could only focus my energy on Mr. Vervain and the depth of his honey-like eyes.

The class went quiet without even a hand gesture from Mr. Vervain. He set his suit case on the table and started rummaging through some papers. I felt nauseous being near him. Knowing that he figured out a part of me I've kept hidden for years, a violent, tainted part.

The thought of being in detention with him for an entire hour wasn't what tickled my nerves, it was the fact that he gave me detention after he exposed me. Like finding something fragile on the floor, picking it up, holding it with care and then dropping it. It stung deeply.

Mr. Vervain eyed the class, checking the attendance. His eyes brushed passed me without a second look, feeling more insignificant than I already felt, I put my head down and attempted to reinforce the strong exterior I've had no problem upholding all these years.

"Ok class, before we get deep into the linguistics of Hamlet and the hidden messages that relate to the metalanguage of Shakespeare" he began to walk towards the back of the class. "I have a small activity I want you to work on today." I heard him
faintly, but I refused to look behind. "And present at the end of class,"

Everyone sighed, presentations always led to mockery. This class didn't have any ounce of decency to respect anyone.

"Oh my gosh! I have stage fright Aster, I can't do this!" Stella panicked.

"Don't worry you'll be fine Stel, relax. You've seen me present, has anything happened before?" I said, trying to make this sound like an easy thing to do, which in reality is for me since I have no care in the world. But Stella here is too sensitive and would go into depression if anyone mocked her.