Chapter 13

"We're going" Stella narrowed her eyes.

"Why are you looking at me like that? it's not like I have a choice" I painfully said.

At least this beats mothers beating.

"Can you like be like this like always!!" I could tell my migraine was slowly kicking in, but this time it wasn't because of torture, it was the side effects of letting Stella play with my hair.

I momentarily felt giddy from all her energy and the pink colours around the room. Such a girl.

After internally complaining every time she applied something that was so unlike me, which was basically everything. I attempted to stay quiet for a while longer.

If I can't afford most of the products manufactured, watered or literally in front of me, how am I to know the meaning or grow a liking to makeup?

It was so fake. it wasn't the real me. I could see the reflection of green eyes. it was rare that they were so prominent. Stella's makeup consisted of smoky black around my eyelids, light maroon lipstick, and a bit of bronzer. Can I cover my scars with this too? I wondered.

My hair was suddenly curly, and everything was just different about me. I contained my thoughts as well as my feelings to myself.

I tried as much as I could to please Stella, but I didn't have it in me to control myself any longer.

"Hell to the no Stel. This is too short, I don't like exposing myself to hormonal boys. Something else"

She looked incredulous and I could understand her train of thought.

Please Stell, buy it.

I cringed. When Stella's eyes dilate, you don't know whether to brace yourself from being enlightened with great intelligence or tolerate a new found case of complete hopelessness.

"Why are you so self-conscious! Stop hiding your curves and show the world what you got. You're a beauty Aster. Just remember that" Stella spoke nonchalantly while she piled up all the potential dresses I would wear.

"I am really self conscious. You caught me" Fake sighing.

"We really need to work on that, because I give you my word, as your best friend. You shouldn't be"

Her words genuinely touched my heart, but this momentary softness was quickly replaced by an effort of persuasion.

"You're right. Totally right" I puffed "But in all honesty today I'm not ready to take the first step, it has to be gradual you know?" Hope to god this works.

"Ok I won't pressure you into wearing anything out of your comfort zone. Out of all days, today I really want you to be comfortable under your own skin." And yes these were the rare moments of wisdom and intelligence I was aiming for.

--------------------------------------------

Stella walked with confidence, as we emerged to our personal booth in the club. Her persona out of school never ceased to amaze me.

I resorted to red heals and a black t-shirt with tight ripped jeans. It kind of defined my crazy personality that only a few knew about.

"Want to drink?" Stella asked, as we settled in a comfy red cushion.

Money, completely forgot about how broke I am. Laughing bitterly "I don't drink" lies over lies.

"Ok well you are today. It's on me" And she turned to the waiter. I looked around and my head instantly turned to the person sitting on one of the stools. He was gazing at me, but not out of interest.

Perhaps curiosity?

The man was definitely in his early 20's, I could tell that he was well dressed and slightly captivating. He had an element of mystery to him, and it drew me in. Literally.

"Be right back" Without waiting for a response I headed towards him, maintaining eye contact.

He raised an eyebrow as I approached him trying to muster up as much confidence as I had.

"You were looking" I eyed his faint green eyes

"I was" He smiled, genuinely.

"And your goal is?"

"Accomplished. You're here aren't you" I sat next to him trying to figure him out. I was usually good at that.

I put my hand out "Aster" I smiled. This man needed to be solved. Tonight.

"John Doe" He returned the gesture, firmly shaking mine.

"Now that I'm here, anymore goals you need to accomplish?" Relaxing on the stool beside him, I found ease radiating around us. I tried not to reflect on my sudden impulses, but it was hard to eliminate the fact that I just confronted a random stranger that was possibly checking me out, with let alone a hidden agenda.

"I like your bluntness Aster. What's your story?"

"What's yours John Doe, I'm an open book" Smiling. I tend to do that a lot nowadays. Thoughts lingered to a person that has been literally consuming most of them.

"You're a pathological liar. I could sense it a mile away" I could feel like the air of this suffocating-alcohol-wreaking place was knocking me out. How?

"You would know best" Playing it safely, I knew not to tap into his personality any longer. I was about to walk away when I heard a familiar sound.

"Hey, sorry got caught up with Haley" Mr. Vervain took off his leather jacket and sat on the other side of him, and all I could think of well... shit.