Chapter 11

Mr. Vervain's anger didn't falter, nor did my urge to remove this feeling he was negatively radiating.

"I'm sorry" I blurted, a lump rising in my throat.

I was always the reason for my mum's anger and her need to consistently abuse and attack violent words at me, but looking at Mr. Vervain's grief and inner coil, reinforced that worthlessness I have grown accustomed to.

I didn't want to be the reason for instigating this side to him he evidently tries to burry. Mr. Vervain's façade was the first indicator of his reality, but seeing it with my two eyes made me nauseous.

Mr. Vervain peered at the window, I followed his gaze. The skies were beginning to find shelter in the darkness, it appeared like a thunder storm was emerging.

"The irony" I muttered. I went over to my desk and began to pick up the pens that were scattered on the table.

"What is exactly ironic about this situation Aster?" I felt Mr. Vervain's movements from behind me, trying to avoid his face, was the best way to settle my nerves.

Refusing to make eye contact with him, I continued to place my weary notebook in the bag.

"I don't know Mr. Vervain, perhaps the contrast of your mood and the weathercast you know, accurate I'd say." In situations like this, any normal person would try to cater for ones conflicted feelings, but I happen to work fulltime in the honesty policy.

Sugar coating words is usually what leads people to misinterpret, misjudge and misplace intentions that were initially intended.

I didn't hear Mr. Vervain tackle anything, not even the air. It was oddly silent. I swung my bag on, thinking about the 15 minute walk under the thunderstorm I had to endure.

"Well, I got to go." I had to look at him, even though it took every ounce of strength left in me. I settled my eyes directly on Mr. Vervains. It was clear that his anger was slowly subsiding, but there was another expression on his face.

"You are peculiar, Aster." Mr. Vervain's voice was low, but soft. It looked like he wanted to elaborate further, but he didn't.

"Good weird? I said, face palming myself internally for even questioning that, but it was out of my control. "Ok bad weird it is" dismissing my wounded pride, I walked out of the classroom.

"Wait." After hearing some shuffling and the clash of keys, Mr. Vervain came to my side and began to walk in my pace.

"Thanks for acknowledging"

I knew I irritated him, defiance didn't really come to men like Mr. Vervain, I could tell by the way he carried himself and his voice that seemed demanding in whichever situation he intended to speak, was strong and hypnotising. I did not succumb to that because I learnt (physically) to guard myself from anyone. Living in fear and deception was all the knowledge and experience I gained from this world.

"Mr. Vervain, I'm tired of repeating myself, but you make it so hard not to. What do you want?" I was angry! He was always around me and I needed to restore my sanity because Mr. Vervain managed to strip away the part of me I thought I could control.

His hazel eyes were lighter than how they were in the classroom. It made my insides tingle, in a good way.

"I'm taking you home, before you argue, don't." Mr. Vervain walked passed me and I could see his muscular back shaping his form. I admired the way Mr. Vervain walked, like he had something to stand for, to walk by.. to believe in.

When I realised that I would be able to get out of walking under the rain, and the possibility of being stricken and paralysed by the thunder, I followed him.