Chapter 17

I think 5 minutes was all it took to realise that I didn't want to stop. I couldn't take my eyes off this man.

Every expression, every encounter, every intricate detail I've witnessed played in my head, like an internal movie.

He was more than perfection. I could pinpoint every flaw he exposed since we met.

His momentary anger, that switched like an on and off button.

His secrets, that kept unravelling day by day.

His subtle sweet gestures.

His persistence.

His charm, his delightful nature that only ignites the right imperfections.

My eyes remained fixated on his form. I smiled lightly... I've never seen someone wear the same face; sleep or no sleep. Plain serious.

My hands itched to caress him, but my heart ran rampant at the same time, knowing this moment was nearing.

It was Thursday. School, home, torture. The emotional torture I call it. I forced myself to feel it, to prepare for the next day, the physical one.

Sometimes I don't understand myself. Deep inside, I know, if I were to utter a word to any rational, humane person they would definitely come to my rescue.

But the reality, the picture expertly drawn in my head since the day I was born, is that I was, am, is a mistake. I've settled for this lifestyle.

Nothing moves me. Nothing shifts my expectations. Nothing captures my attention. No one captivates me. No one soothes the ache in me.

Stella plays a major role in making me feel like a teenager. Her innocence blooms all the dead roots within me. But I'm tainted, and because she isn't, because she hasn't had a taste of evil from two people that are meant to shower you with unconditional love; she will never be able to empathise... or see through me.

But Mr. Vervain does.

He has been tortured, in some way or form. He's tasted darkness. He has experienced what it's like to share a life with someone so black, so morbid.

I know this, I'm sure of this. My intuition informed me, the day I looked into his strained eyes. I saw myself in them.

Thoughts kept my brain cells circulating. I tried to make meaning of someone that was just so full of them.

I had the urge to trace every aspect, every reaction, every word and letter of his, and define every little intricate thing.

Mr. Vervains eyes slowly opened. He was laying on his stomach faced towards me.

I was glad that the space between us was enough for me to move without brushing against him.

"Hello there" I could see Mr. Vervains eyes smiling, but his face was emotionless.

"Are you going to freak out" I said without returning the greeting.

He raised his eyebrows confused. A couple of seconds passed while we took each other's morning faces in. Besides his hair aiming in different directions, Mr. Vervain was still so handsome.

"Why would I" his voice was barely audible, rusty, but sounded like a melody.

"The revelation of teacher/student accidental/awkward position to be in kind-of-gist"

"We're not in a compromising position Aster. If you haven't realized" Mr. Vervain looked at the space between us, sending me an unspoken message. He turned around so he could face the 'also black' clock on the wall. "School starts in 20 minutes. I'm going to dress Haley and you'll be ready by then. Ok?"

Groaning I took the pillow from under me and slammed it on my face "Can I skip?" My words came out fumbled.

Mr. Vervain took the pillow and gave me an 'are you serious' look.

"No Aster. I'm going to get ready then see Haley. You can wear my shirt if you want. You have your jeans"

"What makes you think I'll be fine with wearing male shirts?" I maintained a blank expression. Mr. Vervain looked so out of place, I could tell he was retracting what he just said mentally.

"Um yeah what was I thinking, you're a gir--' when he saw me smile he stopped. "Get dressed" after slamming the toilet door shut, chuckling, I tried to keep as quiet as possible.

Of course I would be OK with wearing his shirt, my clothes comprised of men shirts and jumpers. I only dressed up when I felt like my self-esteem and my scars were taking a toll on me. Investing in myself sometimes boosted my confidence, it disguised the way I felt inside through the way I carried myself.

I went back to the guest room and got ready in no time. I tied my hair in a pony tail and relaxed in front of the TV.

This house was so warm. I could tell the heater wasn't on, but warmth truly radiated around me. All the windows were closed, and the weather kind of infected the sun with its coolness... there was barely light out there. This atmosphere honestly drained me.

I just wanted to cuddle, with anyone, and exchange sentimental words, feelings, comfort. Mr. Vervain... I've established that he makes me feel things I've never felt, like I matter.

Days like this remind me of how lonely I am. But this time, when I think about exchanging anything romantic with someone, Mr. Vervain is my number one on the list. He is my list.

Sighing. I should just lock him in my heart, keep him there, keep my feelings there... and try not to disgrace it, but openly embrace it.

I felt a touch on my arm, my vision suddenly being replaced with beautiful blue eyes and tiny features.

"Hi I remember you!" Haley said excitedly. How can this kid show so much positive emotion on so little of a thing?

"Hello there Angel, I remember you as well!" I smiled squeezing her tiny fingers with mine. Haley automatically sat on my lap making my heart melt.

"I love what you're wearing, who bought it for you?" Her pj power puff girls were so adorable. I suddenly remembered hearing this story in the local library I usually attended to.

And also the fact that Mr. Vervain happens to go there now as well..

"Really?! My daddy bought them for me. He buys me a gift every time I listen to him!" Haley had a huge grin on her face, talking so ecstatically.

"That's so nice of daddy. Why wouldn't he bring you a gift? Angels deserve lots and lots of gifts!" I heard Mr. Vervains footsteps and in seconds he stood there. In front of me and Haley cuddling.

I gave him a look to apologise for intruding, or being intimate with his daughter. After the last nanny was fired, I didn't want to, I wouldn't live with myself if I did anything that would harm both Haley and Mr. Vervain.

"Haley baby let's get ready were late!" Mr. Vervains tone changed to a softer, caring note.

"Ok daddy coming!" Haley hopped off my lap walking towards Mr. Vervain. I looked at her cute form. She suddenly stopped, and ran back to me hugging me "Sorry for not saying bye pretty pretty girl!" My eyes popped open and my heart was officially stolen by this tiny bubble of love.

I whispered something in her ear, and her smile assured me that she was going to adhere to the plan. After she left I saw Mr. Vervain give me a look before walking away. A look I have yet to grow accustomed to.