Chapter 49

I heard the heart monitor beep, an indication that I was still alive. My eyelids seemed heavy and I hoped they would stay that way.

I didn't have the energy to face reality now.

But all thoughts went down the drain the moment I felt a palm on my cheek, my eyes fluttered and connected with his.

There was water in my eyes and fire in my heart. I felt a mix of warmth and anger spark inside.

I snapped my eyes shut as an attempt to conceal how I felt about his absence at my weakest point. However, the trickle that sneaked its way from the corner of my eye gave it away.

Thoughts of Stella and Mason rushed through my mind, which caused my eyes to snap open.

I grabbed Mr. Vervain's hand, "Where are they?"

He looked at me with warmth and a drop of sadness,  "Recovering well compared to you," The room reflected the night sky. The only illuminating light came from the bedside lamp.

Mr. Vervain left my hand and approached the door, checking the right and left sides of the hospital corridor, before gently shutting it.

I lifted myself further up the bed, but the sudden pain made me fall back down.

"Don't move Aster, you have two broken ribs and your stomach is bruised," Mr. Vervain sighed.

He looked at me wearily as he removed the covers. I wanted to argue, but his gaze held me in place.

I felt his hand interlace with mine under the silky sheets, as though it had been the most natural thing.

My heart palpitated with his close proximity. The smell of peppermint invaded my nostrils.
I could feel his breath touch my lips, his skin burn rampantly inside my skin, leaving no scars.

Our faces were on the same level.

"Where were you? I needed you," My eyes flared with  curiosity.

He tightened his hold, making sure his hand didn't  collide with my injuries.

"I know. I only wish we could switch consciousness so you could feel my misery," We lay on our sides as I waited for him to elaborate. It wasn't enough.

"I received a call from Haley's school claiming that her mother had forcefully removed her from class raging that she had a right to," I nodded my head, still not fully comprehending the intensity of the matter.

"But she is her mother Mr. Ve-,"

"Michael, Aster. No more Mr. Vervain," The fierceness in his tone suggested that there had been more to that statement, but I let it slide.

"Michael," I caressed my thumb softly on his palm. Butterflies exploded as his eyes undressed my soul.

"As I was saying," I cleared my throat, "Surely she can be trusted for a few hours," I felt a pang of hurt erupt within. It wasn't as big of a deal to ignore the matter for an hour at least.

"You don't understand, the last time she lost control, she overdosed and forgot about Haley. I came back from work Aster," Mr. Vervain's pent-up emotions were breaking open...

"Remember, I told you that one day, I came back home and lost that glimmer of hope. That was the day. After searching her house and the school parameter, I found her at the park talking to a man while Haley played on the swings,"

"But when I moved closer, I saw the reality of the situation. He was a dealer, and the park was just a front," The hurt that flashed in his eyes made my insides coil in regret.

"Why the daytime? That's not the smartest time to do that stuff..." I wondered.

"There had been a rumor going around that this guy robbed some drug dealers. They were out to get him, so he could only be seen in daylight," Mr. Vervain explained.

"I just thought she had a clean slate, genuinely. That she was ready to fight for Haley, you know?" His eyes met mine and I nodded slowly.

He lifted my chin, never breaking eye-contact, "Am I forgiven?" He whispered.

I nodded, "It was out of your control,"

He shifted closer to rest his forehead onto mine. We just collided so naturally; it was hard to be reminded of our age-gap, the restrictions that came along with it.

"What now Michael?" I said reluctantly, "When can I see Mason? And Ben and Stella? Am I leaving with Mason?" I attacked him with questions as my free hand massaged his torso.

"Aster," Our faces inches apart.

"What?" I raised my eyebrow.

"Your touch," He covered my hand to stop it from moving, "it's driving me crazy," Michael's eyes darkened.

The door opened slicing the tension in half.

"Ben," His beam reflected mine.

Mr. Vervain cleared his throat, removing himself from underneath the covers. The ache in my body returned just as quick.

"How do you feel?" Ben acted way too casual for a student who just witnessed his classmate and teacher cuddled up.

Mr. Vervain raked his fingers through his hair, as he moved backwards towards the door.

"I'll leave you kids to it," Pain shot from the side of my neck as I angled my face in his direction.

Despite his minimal facial expressions, the mischievous glint in his eyes didn't go unnoticed.

I was still glaring at Mr. Vervain's disappearing behind, when I felt Ben's hand caress my arms.

"Is this what you've been going through?" Ben's eyes were strained and I felt the need to comfort him. I rested my palm on his unmoving hand.

"It made me this much stronger," I smiled, believing that it did, "How's Stella?" I sighed.

"She's resting at Mason's place. Nothing major, just a bleeding nose and a bruise. Mason was also knocked out with a couple of punches, so his face is swollen,"

I exhaled heavily. "All this for me. I'm just so grateful Ben," A tear slipped from underneath my eyelid.

"You make broken look beautiful," Ben whispered. I'd never seen him really blush, he was always stoic.
"I really lost my chance, with you,"

I could hear my heart pumping, not used to Ben's forwardness, "What do you mean?"

"Just understand what I mean when I say, Mr. Vervain is one lucky man," He sighed.

"You'll find her. She'd be blind not to love you back,"

"Are you saying your eyes are impaired?" He faintly smirked.

"I'm saying yours are. You have to get out of this shell you're in so you could be able to see the world. Unshackle yourself Ben,"

"You don't know my story Aster," He said, face buried inside his hands.

"So tell me," I pressed.

"Soon," He pressed a gentle kiss on the corner of my eye, "I'll see you Aster,"

I followed his retreating form sending a prayer of thanks to God.

Before Stella knew, before Ben's unexpected friendship and before Mr. Vervain's unconditional presence, I had been cynical.

Alone with my thoughts, I understood the weight of this lingering feeling. I had always felt like I was touched by an unknown presence, ever since my life took a turning point.

Now I know.. that it was their spirit, it was their powerful, unrelenting, heartwarming touch that ignited me with hope.