Chapter 16

My eyelids were on the verge of closing when I heard a soft knock.

It had passed midnight, but a little voice in my head knew who it really was.

I could pretend like I was already asleep but curiosity didn't surpass me.

I walked to the door and felt the rush of cold wind dance around me. When I slightly pulled the door open, I could tell that Mr. Vervain had turned his back towards the opposite direction.

"Mr. Vervain?" I whispered. He turned his head around slightly smiling. But his eyes were serious.

"Sorry did I wake you?" Scratching his head he stood there awkwardly, but his figure was still firm as if that small gesture served as the only thing that gave away his regret.

"No you didn't. Is there something wrong?" I raised my eyebrows.

"No nothing" Mr. Vervain looked like he was contemplating his next words "I just wanted to check that you had settled in fine. Have you?"

Chuckling lightly. "I would be just as weird as you if I went along with that excuse"

His eyes had a glint of anger.

"What do you mean excuse? It's my fault that I'm acting considerate. Goodnight Aster" With his tone declaring that it was the end of the conversation he turned to walk off.

I slipped in-between the door and momentarily touched his arm "Hey. I tend to be too frank. Do you want to chill for a bit" I weakly smiled. This man was driving me crazy with his bipolar mood swings.

"No I'm good. Goodnight" He walked towards his bedroom and I stood there registering the fact that he had just rejected me. In some way or form.

Stubborn as I am, well... I remained stubborn. I followed my advising instinct and opened the door to his.

Despite his black designed furniture, I could still see a faint light retracting from outside the window only angling in the direction of his eyes.

"What the hell Aster?" He slightly lifted himself up from under the covers and peered at me in confusion and a hint of rage.

"Hell and Aster, good choice of words." Knowing that he wouldn't understand the hidden connotation behind it. I moved to the left side of the bed were it was vacant and slipped under the covers.

His eyes widened. I could tell that he was on the brink of bursting into flames, but I stopped him placing my finger on my lips.

"Shh. I just want to talk. So embrace this moments before I change my mind" I closed my eyes. Sighing. This room reeked of this sweet-bitter scent. I could just dive into his beautiful essence...

Silence was all that remained. I was happy that he didn't argue with me because I was emotionally and physically exhausted. Mentally... It was getting there.

"I look at the night sky every time the sun sets waiting for a glimmer, a sign that there's something out there, beyond us, willing to shine for us..." I said. My mind contemplating about my cloudy life.

"I did once." Mr. Vervain said. His voice low, but all together masculine.

"Why'd you stop?" I moved my head to the side, and met the side of his face, that radiated beauty. I could see his jaw tighten as he chose his next words wisely.

"My life didn't get any better. I couldn't find that glimmer. There was no hope in nature, or the creation." Sighing he turned his head and met my eyes.

His eyes slightly widened when he realized I had been staring. Our eyes were truly messengers to the deepest surface of our hearts. I could feel it. He could feel it. It was unexplainable.

"One time everything was going well. I had this woman, that I truly loved. Mother of my incredible innocent Haley. I just landed a huge job that paid well. It was bliss. Truly..."  Mr. Vervain didn't blink once. The light seeping through the windowpane wasn't even strong enough to cover up the darkness I was witnessing.

My heart yearned to comfort him. Mr. Vervain was careful with every word he uttered. I still didn't understand why this man was so broken. Why it broke me in the process.

"But one day I came home, early from work. Wanting to surprise both my angels." He shut his eyes, clearly finding it hard to confront the darkness of his past.

My hand automatically went in search for his. When I felt them, I wrapped my hand around his finger. Attempting to soothe him, but also encouraging him to proceed.

I felt his hand react in no time, intertwining it with mine. This felt right.

It was silent. I could only focus on the feelings resonating within me.

"This feels so good" Sighing "Just feeling you. Your presence" I closed my eyes. "Don't stop talking please." I said, not wanting to ruin the moment.

Mr. Vervain exhaled deeply; I knew he was affected by my touch, by my proximity, just as much I was.

"I just want to get my point across Aster. After that day, there was and is no glimmer from the outside world. It's beyond us. It has to come from within. It's your faith. Your hope. You."

I opened my eyes as he said the last words. His eyes were closed. I couldn't fathom how he knew what to say in the right moment. Did he know I was in despair? I couldn't empathize with his words because I felt nothing but darkness in my heart.

"Why did you come here Aster?" Mr. Vervain's voice was getting lower. Indicating that he was about to sleep.

"My gut told me to follow you"

"Why"

"Because"

"Just say it," His fingers began to graze my palm. It felt like he had control over my heart... It began to escalate... so rhythmically.

"I can't explain how I feel about you, you make me feel safe and secure, and you know.." I inhaled a deep breath, liking the way his fingers caressed me.

He had his eyes closed, his face looked pained,

"What's wrong?" 

His eyelids fluttered open, "Safe, secure and?"

I furrowed my eyebrows, "You know, Michael"

We both rested on our sides, taking each other in.

He inched closer, until our foreheads touched. 

"Can you stay the night?" He whispered.

My body was reacting and the heat was radiating around us like we were forming a circle of fire.

"Yes,"

With a proportionate smile and a gentle blink of his eyes, nothing could have been more comforting to my stammering heart than to be lost in the most beautiful pair of hazel eyes.