Chapter 8

I ran through the hall way trying to catch up to him. I couldn't see Mr. Vervain anywhere. I just hoped that he hadn't reached his car yet. When I exited the school building, I was met with a chilling breeze.

I tugged on my hoodie and covered most of my forehead, attempting to warm myself.  Thinking about the clothes I owned, they where all ragged and thin, trust my mum to buy me cheap clothes.

Dismissing the thought of that cruel woman, I saw Mr. Vervain reversing and ready to drive away. I quickly jumped in front of the vehicle with my hands held up in defence. Mr. Vervain hit the brakes, surprise plastered on his face. He regained his composure, anger evidently radiating from him. Clenching his jaw, he opened the door and slammed it shut.

"What the hell were you thinking?! Get out of my way Aster!" Rage dripped from every word he uttered.

"No way Mr. Vervain, I told you I'm coming with you and I'm not one to back down!" I screamed, feeling droplets of rain on my face.

Mr. Vervain looked at his watch, I could see him contemplating what he should do next. "Get in now," Slamming the door shut I ran inside. The second I closed the door he accelerated. I noticed his hand clenching and unclenching his hold on the steering wheel. He was clearly angry at my sudden appearance, and the fact that he let me go with him was a clear indication of how important and in a hurry he was.

I sighed, noticing the tension. I felt the need to calm him down, I didn't know what the hell was going on but I had a bad feeling about this. We stayed silent until we reached a nice brick wall house that seemed like it would fit a small family. Without a word, Mr. Vervain got out of the car and hurried towards the door.

I thought about my next move. I didn't know who I was going to see in there and how my presence would make a difference, but my gut told me I needed to be there.

I left the car, the sun was turning slightly orange, preparing to set. I made my way inside and heard Mr. Vervains voice, it was filled with hostility. I followed his voice until I reached a room that surrounded a flat screen and two beige couches.

A woman stood there, more like a model. Her blonde hair was curled, reaching the tip of her shoulders. The way she stood screamed power. She held herself firmly while Mr. Vervain attacked the woman with violent words. I could see a little girl sobbing, maybe 10 years old? the same girl from the library. My presumption was confirmed, her mother's genes were definitely recessive, she was a beauty after all. I heard the little girl whimper, while a lady that appeared to be in her mid twenties was rubbing her arm, trying to comfort her.

"Maria, why are you here? I told you to stay away from us!" I just stood there, watching, as the scene unfolded. She held her head high, and narrowed her blue eyes at him.

"Why am I here? You stole my daughter away from me you Monster!" She said through gritted teeth.

Mr. Vervain shut his eyes, trying to restrain himself. "I saved her," He opened his eyes, the woman flinched. I couldn't blame her, his eyes filled with rage. "Get. Out." Pointing to the wall that covered the exit door, she had no choice but to oblige.

"This is just the beginning Michael, II'll see you in court," And with that she tightened the coat that appeared to be of high quality and walked out. Before she passed, she gave me a puzzled look as if she just realized I was there. That look was quickly replaced with a death glare, she huffed and walked out. My heart was hammering in my chest from what I witnessed a few seconds ago.

Mr. Vervain also appeared like he had just noticed me, but he was unfazed. He gave me one glance before crouching down, levelling himself with his daughter. His guard crumbled in an instance and his face transformed into a loving one. "Haley girl, you're a strong one it's ok." I saw how Haley began to sob the second her father engulfed her tiny frame.

The lady stood there with a guilty look on her face. "I apologize for that Michael, I wasn't expecting to see her when I opened the door. I should have asked who it was," Mr. Vervain stood up with Haley in his arms and a cold look on his face.

"You're fired," The lady was stunned by his response, her eyes began to water. She touched Haley's finger tips, before kissing her goodbye and leaving.

I stared in shock. He was being extremely harsh, but given the circumstances, I had to accept whatever was coming for me.

Mr. Vervain looked at me, he seemed defeated. He held Haley and sat on the couch. I felt awkward standing there. I came to help, and instead, I just stood there. The matter was out of my control, and I felt like I invaded Mr. Vervains privacy.

"Great going Aster," I muttered. Looking anywhere besides his intense gaze.

"Daddy! who is she?" The little girl pointed at me. She was so cute. My face softened a little. I waited for Mr. Vervain to introduce us but he didn't, so I decided to step in.

"Hello there beautiful girl, I'm Aster what's your name?" I said with a wide smile on my face, attempting to break the tension. I moved my hand towards her, waiting for her to shake it.

Haley giggled and placed her fragile tiny fingers on my palm. "My names Haley,"

All traces of sadness faded from her innocent eyes. "I like her daddy!" She stared up at him, glee reflecting her face.

Mr. Vervain's expression was soft when he looked at Haley. "Go watch Cinderella in your room Hales, I'll be up there soon," He kissed her cheek. That seemed to work, her excitement eliminated all the tension and I could see her running towards her room. I smiled, as I watched the way her presence bloomed.

Mr. Vervain cleared his throat and I shook my head getting lost in the moment. I looked at him, prepared to receive a bad remark. But before I allowed him to talk, I shifted closer to him and placed my hand on his hand. His eyes grew wider.

"I'm sorry Mr. Vervain, I didn't mean to interfere, I thought I could be a hero for a second there and help you. You sounded worried," I frowned. "I'm not used to this side to you, forgive me," I was wrong for coming, the guilt stirred in my stomach.

I held his gaze, watching his face relent to my words. He didn't move his hand, and I wasn't expecting him to. Our close proximity was affecting me a little, but I felt like my words weren't enough to prove that I felt guilty indeed.

"Don't worry about it Aster. I would hope that what you've seen today is preserved and not spoken about again," He said firmly. I felt like that was my cue to leave. But I realised I had no transport.

As if he read my thoughts, he sighed, and removed his hand. I tried not to take offence, but a tiny part of me did. I played with my fingers trying to keep myself distracted. "I can't leave Haley, would your parents mind if you stayed over for the night?"

I thought about it, holding back an empty laugh. They wouldn't even realise. But I didn't voice it. It would be inappropriate if I stayed here, but the rational side of my brain reminded me that I had no other choice and that I brought this to myself to begin with.

"No they wouldn't," I made my decision. "Il sleep on the couch, I don't want to be of inconvenience."

Mr. Vervain shook his head. "We have a guest room. Follow me," He stated, his voice empty.

I followed him, and after asking me if I needed anything, he closed the door and left me, in a white room with just an empty bed, and my overwhelming thoughts.