Chapter 30

This is going to end before it even started.

I bit my lip. Mr. Vervain briefly looked between us, perhaps attempting to understand the basis of our relationship.

I understood Coach well enough to know his assumptions; I wasted his time, I don't deserve this, I'm not taking this seriously.

I opened the door and stepped out, leaving my bag. I purposely left the door open as a signal that I would be returning.

"Coach! I -" I held my hand to my face, wanting to conceal my overwhelming feelings.

I was on the brink of exploding out in the open, but I contained myself. After the situation with Mr. Vervain, I was terrified of being rejected from the only person that has given me hope, long before Mr. Vervain entered my life.

Coach remained quiet, waiting for me to justify my actions.

Before I could say anything, I heard the door open. Mr. Vervain didn't spare me a glance, his eyes where fixated on what resided in the basement. I traced his every move, his gaze moved around, taking in the equipment.

After a moment, Mr. Vervain approached Coach Zayn.

"It's my fault she's late, don't blame her" Mr. Vervains voice was stern. I was so nervous, just by watching them exchange looks.

What just happened?

"Coach Zayn, you are?"

"Michael, her teacher."

I watched Coach and my teacher silently. They were having a nonverbal conversation.

"She's in good hands" Coach gave him a firm shake.

Mr. Vervain nodded. He returned to his car, but my feet were frozen in place. My face blank, I didn't know how to react.

Coach's stare was deathly, "Move."

I scurried to the car, before I entered, I remembered I needed to talk to Mr. Vervain.

"Ok Coach! 10 minutes." I called out, hoping that he wouldn't turn around and tell me off. His retreating form relieved me to say the least.

I returned to the seat, not knowing what to say. I didn't want to lose him. I was fluctuating.

His face was still empty, his eyes were like a river, never ending. He stared ahead, his jaw intensifying with every passing moment.

"Since when do you train?" He turned his head around, expressing his anger with just one look.

"Why are you angry?" I felt like a ticking bomb now. "What did I do this time?!"

"What did you do?" Mr. Vervains response was one of mockery. "Something happened today. Something's changed. Tell me" his eyes remained on mine.

"I've been training for two months" I said, disregarding his second question.

"Tell me." His knuckles were turning white, I felt like the steering wheel was about to break.

I closed my eyes. We were letting our feelings get the best of us, as always. I tried to calm myself by inhaling in the fresh air and exhaling everything bitter.

I opened my eyes, he was waiting.

"The Nanny" I sighed. "I won't feel comfortable sleeping over anymore." I looked at him, expecting a condescending look, or perhaps, one of confusion.

Nothing.

He remained quiet, his eyes remained empty.

"How many times do you train a week?" He said.

I didn't feel weak, telling him the truth. But now, I don't know what to expect after he completely ignored the fact that I was suffering from inside, he could tell, I know. He asked me for a reason, because he can sense my energy.

"3 times" I quietly answered, I felt like my heart constricted a little. I hated being ignored. It's bad enough that my life revolves around being treated like I don't matter, what I say and do never mattered.

"When do you finish?" He continued.

"What's wrong with you?" My eyes started brimming, heartfelt tears were on the peak of slipping.

Mr. Vervains eyes bored into mine. He shifted, and moved his hand, in search of mine.

I watched how he gripped my hand so gently, interlacing them with his.

"I'm not good with communicating Aster" He shut his eyes tightly, rubbing his thumb against mine.

"I know" a tear slipped from my eye.

He moved closer. I felt the butterflies resonating in every fibre of my being. His eyes never left mine.

His face gravitated towards me, and just like that, he kissed my tear drop.

"I'm sorry, I'll pick you up when you finish, we will talk about this tonight." My numbness from earlier was replaced with this profound feeling. It calmed me till no end.

"Pick me up at 12." I held his hand so tight afraid to let go. Not wanting this feeling to end. He was everything I never thought I'd come across.

He was my hope, my vice, my strength, my happy ending.

He looked at me like I was someone beyond this world.

I looked at him like he was my world.

I left his car, ready to learn, to fight for my life, for me, for him, for us.