Chapter 43

I don't know how long we stayed still for, staring at the ceiling. It was dead silent.

If you looked at Mason's house from the outside, you wouldn't think it consisted of one room.. It goes to show how easily we're manipulated by what we perceive as reality, and what really is.

Mason and I lay side by side, not a word uttered.

I didn't want to break the silence, because what's left to say? The dynamics of his life and my life were completely out of proportion. We were on two different levels. Neither of us took the easy way out, we internalized what lived in our darkness  since the day we were exposed to it.

You can't escape what lingers in your mind.

"Let's play the wish game," Mason's voice interrupted the quite atmosphere around.

I raised my eyebrow, "And that is?"

He tilted his head towards me, "Saying what we wish in life"

"Do you think that would be good for us? Given our circumstances," I said quietly.

"We need to start somewhere Aster," Mason sighed.

"But it would trigger emotions... emotions we don't have to endure."

"They've already been triggered," Mason spoke calmly, but his eyes blazed.

"I wish I didn't feel," I continued to look above.

"I wish I didn't falter," From the peripheral of my eye, Mason moved his gaze to the ceiling.

"I wish I could breathe," I exhaled carbon.

"I wish I did right by you," My eyes trickled when he said that.

"I wish you did," My heart ached.

"I wish I didn't scatter your pieces," Mason shifted under the cover and held my hand.

"I wish you didn't leave," I squeezed his hand.

"I wish" Mason moved closer and hugged me. I sobbed until every wound inside of me had the chance to mourn.

"I will rectify this Aster, I promise," Mason engulfed me like his life depended on it. We slept in peace, after our hearts acknowledged that everything happened for the best. Everything happened for a reason.

----------------------------------------

"Hi," I smiled at Mr. Vervain's casual demeanor. His hair wasn't combed. It was peaking out in every direction.

"Hi," His dimples were more prominent under the sunlight.

"You know the address?" I asked.

Mr. Vervain nodded. After I inserted the seat belt, he rested his hand on my knee bringing a jolt of color to my cheeks. My heart rendered with love.

I placed my hand on top of his and caressed his fingertips.

"I miss you Aster. Every passing moment, it's excruciating," Mr. Vervain's face was puzzled. Like what he felt was surreal.

"I'm here," My heart beamed.

He parked in front of Coach Zayn's basement and adjusted his seating position.

"You don't need to learn how to fight for this. I've got you," Mr. Vervain's eyes filled with pain. Pain that I reflected onto him.

"I do. It's my fight," I said, not knowing the plan that lay ahead.

"I'll fight your demons. You're my world now. Without you there is no world," Mr. Vervain gazed through the deeper side of me. I wasn't a face to him, I was every inch of him.

I held his face like he was the glass to my easily broken life. I didn't want to break him. I didn't want to hurt him. I needed to take care of this man. He needed love, so much of it. He sought that in me, that's why my next words entailed a promise I was willing to keep till my last breath..

"You cast a spell on me that can't be broken.. you turn my darkness into life Michael. Don't worry, you don't have to do anything, you're existence is a blessing," I leaned in and placed a kiss on the corner of his lips.

He held me by the neck gently and returned the kiss, not just a peck but a real one.

We kissed like we were one. It felt amazing. He's the definition of amazing.

After we broke our kiss, he looked deep into my eyes, "I'm going to call Mason and we will sort this out and run it through with you after you finish."

I nodded smiling.

---------------------------------------

Mason picked me up after my workout with Coach. I told Coach the recent events that happened. He's not one to question anyone about their life, but after the knowledge of my abusive mother, he bombarded me with questions.

I don't know whether I should have regretted telling him before training, because he worked me extra hard. However, as always, it was refreshing and the adrenaline rush calmed me till no end. It gave me life.

Mason and I made small talk. He was acting weird. Even though I haven't gotten to know Mason and how he functions as an individual, something about the way he kept quiet magnified my curiosity. Since we found out about each other, Mason felt the constant need to talk and ask me questions, like it was a need to fill this empty hole he's had for so long.

"Mason, what's wrong?" I glared at him. Hating the fact that I had to ask for him to be open with me.

"Nothing, why would anything be wrong?" Mason avoided eye-contact. Before I could say anything else we parked in front of his house and he bolted.

I raised my eyebrow, not comprehending his actions. I followed him inside the house to the living room.

But my suspicions were confirmed when I looked at what lay before me. Stella in tears, Ben had his arms supporting his face and Mr. Vervain was situated in front of them.

I stayed still and felt like the earth was swallowing me alive.