Chapter 27

"No Aster." Mr. Vervain held my hands firmly, gradually moving away. "This is wrong."

I could feel my eyes brimming. His gaze didn't comfort me this time. They were so distant.

In this moment, it felt like we were two souls, close in proximity, residing in two different planets.

"Get off me" despite the fact that Mr. Vervain shifted further, I could still feel his knee against me.

His once expressive face was replaced with void.

I stood up, not taking my eyes off of him. It was evident, my glare didn't make him falter.

I was breathing heavily now, trying to contain my feelings. Even though I felt secure around Mr. Vervain, I didn't easily let my guard down around him.

His eyes remained empty. He stood there, his broad shoulders perfectly in place, fists clenched, staring at me, waiting for me to strike.

But I didn't.

I wouldn't confirm his assumptions.

I wouldn't empower him with the conviction he appears to have, the belief that he genuinely understands me.

But he does. Sigh.

I would never validate it.

"Let's go home" I sighed and walked passed him. He held my arm. Knowing why he did that I glared at him "I mean your home, Mr. Vervain"

Rapidly, I retrieved my hand and continued to his car. We were engulfed with silence the entire ride home.

"I've hired a new Nanny" I could see him staring from my peripherals.

When he realized I wouldn't be answering, he continued.

"I've given her the guest room, so it's occupied. You'll take my room and I'll sleep with Haley"

"What!.. Ow" I managed to keep still. Straining my neck in a situation like this seemed so pathetic after the beatings I've endured.

"Calm down" Mr. Vervain moved closer, his brow furrowed.

"Don't touch me." Frustrated I opened the door, already missing his fragrance. "I don't want to be a burden and mess up your routine."

His approach was subtle. I could tell he didn't want to put fuel to the fire by invading my personal space, so he stood 5 feet away.

"Why would i make an offer on something that would burden me"

Our eyes met.

My heart.

His words.

I know all too well that our eyes were communicating.

Our eyes yearned to know the depth of one another.

Our eyes spoke volumes.

In this moment, nothing and no one on earth could convince me that I was a burden on Mr. Vervain.

He shut his eyes, bringing this infinite moment to a halt.

"Please just come inside. You're stripping whatever energy I have left." He turned around and I followed him silently. He didn't deserve this treatment.

I quickly vowed not to argue with him today and give him peace of mind.

"Daddy!"

"Baby girl."

Witnessing Mr. Vervain engulf his daughters tiny form reminded me that he had a side to him filled with endless love.

Even though it was solely for his daughter, it was there, he was human after all.