Chapter 40

Mason disregarded my simultaneous questions, he steered the wheel right and left. Orange colors invaded the blue sky, the sun was setting, but it also gave birth to this dark force that could not be reckoned with.

My mind raced over the possibilities that this may be the last resort, the dynamics of my life and what it consisted of.

A new-found knowledge awaited me, it was just a matter of time.

As we entered a dark valley encompassed with houses that were slowly deteriorating. My assumption of Mason's outburst, his shattered composition, was being clarified as he took a turn towards my undesirable home.

He parked a few blocks away from my house. I looked at him as I tried to grasp the abnormality of our situation.

"What's going on Mason? How do you know-" I choked on my words. It was hard to come to terms with the fact that someone was mindful of this tormented place I reside in.

"He would starve me for days if I didn't follow what he asked for" Mason's eyes foreshadowed what was to come. Without proceeding, he validated what I hoped were mere presumptions.

"How is this possible" it was like someone opened the tap, and the water just kept pouring down.

"I felt connected to you for a reason" Mason's look was filled with regret. "I left you with those bastards. I couldn't escape and take you with me, it was too risky"

"You knew me?" I asked quizzically. The pain surfaced to a more excruciating one. Only one thought reiterated: Mason knew I existed and he left me.

"I shielded you Aster. I don't even know how your name didn't ring a bell when we first met. It was a struggle to bury my past experiences" He sighed.

"Shielded me? How on earth did you do that hu" I said angrily.

"I took beatings for you" Mason unshed tears managed to shed a drop.

"All along I thought I was hopeless and alone" I tried to grasp the fact that he was my half-brother. A brother that had abandoned me.

"I'm sorry" Mason tried to make a move.

"Don't. Just get me out of this shit hole" Mason looked at me with resignation. He started the ignition and drove off.

"Please don't tell me the bruises you had earlier this week was from them"

"It was."

Mason hit the brakes and slammed the door shut. I looked at him from the rearview mirror. Every time he kicked the car was ever blow I felt from him, for fending me off to them for all those years.

I reflected on those past years, of him protecting me. Us coming up with an escape plan to save ourselves. But that was all wishful thinking, life was far more complicated than that.

I couldn't put the blame on him. He was just a young boy that had been as tormented as I was. My heart squeezed, and sucked the life out of me. I opened the door, and made my way towards him. Mason sat on the pavement. His hands covered his face, repetitively cursing himself.

I sat next to him and wrapped my arms around him, bringing him to a halt. His face, buried seconds ago, looked straight through me with remorse.

"It's ok Mason, I'm still alive" I smiled faintly.

"I'm sorry little sis" Mason's voice broke, breaking my tears along with his.

"As surreal as this is, I'm glad I found you" I sighed. We embraced each other like a mother would to her child. He was family. I had family.

"Now I understand why Michael is so fond of you" He said.

I raised my eyebrow confused about his statement.

"Michael is the most peculiar person I've ever come across. He doesn't deal with anyone's shit. But you're a fighter Aster. You empower that in people" Mason sat up straight. His words were heartfelt.

"I love him Mason" I said it for the first time aloud.

"I know" Mason nodded. "The reason we became friends was because of his realistic nature. Both of us are realists from the experiences we had to face"

"What is this a therapeutic session" I chuckled. Talking about Mr. Vervain subsided the negativity distilled in my heart.

"I'm getting you out of there. You're staying with me from now on" Mason's voice transitioned to a serious tone.

"I can't. They'll call the police if I don't show up. What would Mr. Vervain think?" thoughts of Mr. Vervain bombarded me. How am I going to break it down to him, his best friend is my half-brother.

"Let them. They can't do shit, they're in the wrong for god sakes! They're abusing you." Mason shut his eyes, as if he was reliving the abuse.

We sat in silence as I contemplated my next move.

"We need to be smart about this. We need to defeat them in their own game" My mind twirled with ideas on where to start.

"We can do that while you're beside me Aster" Mason narrowed his eyes.

"First thing we need to do is tell Mr. Vervain" I disregarded Mason's words.

Would he still love me after I've kept all this hidden? I've dragged it on for too long.

"Call him Mason. We're doing this tonight. We're coming up with an action plan" I nodded. Frightened of the outcome.

"Ok" Mason retrieved his phone and dialed Mr. Vervain's number.