Chapter 36

I sat up straight to face Mr. Vervain.

"Tell me what happened" I pleaded. I needed to comfort him some how. But it wasn't possible if I didn't know what took place in the court.

Mr. Vervain looked around to check if anyone was on sight. The coast was clear.

He moved closer, inches apart from me.

"She used my past against me. I was an orphan. I lived on the streets for a while. I shared the darkest story of my life with her, she was my wife" His words signalled regret. "She said I didn't know what it was like to raise a child, because I had an unstable life. I had no family" He sighed.

I held his hand, closing the spaces in between us.

"But the case is still not over right?" He nodded.

"I still need to say my side of the story"

"And that is?"

"Not the time to say" I narrowed my eyes.

"Ok" it was hard, but I needed to keep my thoughts to myself. I empathised with him. Even though I could never relate to what he's been through.

I moved closer. I wanted to touch him. To take his pain away.

Mr. Vervains heat radiated. It dissolved into me.

"We're in school Aster"

"I need to be close to you now" I said. Leaning my forehead on his. "Close your eyes for just a moment and breathe"

He breathed heavily. The sensation of being in close proximity with him made my insides melt.

My eyes were focused on his parted lips. I could feel the air brush mine. We kept on inching closer, in slow, rhythmic movements.
"Close is never close enough with you." Mr. Vervain whispered. I could feel his lips caress mine as he spoke those words. My heart was racing and my body was craving more and more.

We lay face to face, our souls intertwined and I still wanted him closer.

We heard someone clear their throat. This made us both retrieve away from our disposition.

"Ben?" My face was bright red and I stared at his dumbfounded expression.

Mr. Vervain slowly stood up, brushing invisible dust from his suit. His posture was firm, not showing any sign of embarrassment. His pupils darkened as he looked at Ben.

"Sorry." Ben shook his hair uncomfortably. "I won't speak of this to anyone" Mr. Vervain stayed silent. His glare fixated on Bens awkward posture.

Mr. Vervain turned around, giving me a stern look. "Wait for me after school" with that he swiftly walked away.

I looked at Ben and raised my hand in defeat. We were caught, what kind of person would I be if I lied about something that he evidently witnessed.

"I guess you don't owe me an explanation about the previous encounter in the hallway." Ben faintly smiled.

"I can't help it Ben. We're connected...it's unexplainable" I sighed.

"It's ok. You can't control how you feel" Ben spoke, reassuring me that this wasn't as wrong as I thought it looked.

"Thank you. For understanding" I sat on the floor and he retrieved his packet of smokes. I shook my hand, telling him that I didn't want one. He raised his eyebrow, but didn't push any further.

"My parents think I'm gay. There's nothing wrong with being gay, but I'm not gay" He sighed, staring at a blank wall. "I just need them to see me with someone other than my invisible friends, a girl."

"Why would they think that?" I said, confused.

"Because I'm a loner. I like to be alone. They don't get that" He sounded defeated.

"Don't worry. I'll help you Ben, it's not a sin to enjoy the comfort of your own company. It's hard to meet people on that same level as you are" I replied with understanding. I can relate to this too, the only difference was, I didn't have parents to notice the small details of the dynamics of a teenager.

He nodded. "I'm grateful" Ben mumbled. It was clearly hard for him to express any sort of emotion.

"We will get through this" I sighed. Tired of this peculiar day.

"We will"