Chapter 47

As predicted, Ben didn't bail. He rested both his arms on his ripped blue jeans, smoking like his life depended on it.

"Hi Benjie," I sat beside him, shuffling closer.

I've established that Ben really communicated with his body language. He's extremely observant. I felt as though, the space that began to slowly shrink between us, ever since our recent encounters, were now being filled with a sense of comfort.

"I'm sorry Aster, I never realized how dark your world was," Exhaling loudly, he muttered a few curses, scolding himself.

"Please Ben, we all have our fair share of darkness, you just happened to know mine. I'm sure yours still lingers, silently waiting to be heard," I held his arm, addressing him with my words to signal that I was aware he had an untold story.

Ben peered at me, with questioning eyes.

"I think you're an empath Aster," It was my turn to look confused. He threw the bud, and began to elaborate, "An empath is when someone absorbs someone else's emotions, feels and understands what the other person is going through, despite not being able to relate to them on a deeper level," His eyes lingered on me, making me feel warm inside.

I thought about his words, the fact that I can detect other people's intentions, how they feel and how they function as human beings.

"She truly is," My neck strained from the rapid movement, I arched my head upwards and found Mr. Vervains eyes connecting with mine. The memory of what we shared just mere seconds ago suddenly flashed in my head, like a movie stuck on rewind.

My cheeks burnt holes, exposing how much his touch affected me.

I smiled at him and he returned it seamlessly.

"You're a lucky one Mr.," Ben stated, slightly displaying his toothy grin.

"I know Ben," He nodded, maintaining his professional stance. "Where are the others?"

"They should be here soon," I sighed, dread sinking in.

I heard Stella's voice blabbering to Mason. He nodded his head at everything she threw his way, and casually smiled.

I blinked my eyes, wishing I had super powers to capture this moment and frame it. She finally found someone who, to some extent, fit her perfectly.

He was troubled, she was free.
He was analytical, she was oblivious.
He was calm, she was hyper.
He needed to be loved, and she needed to feel it.

They came closer, still unaware they had an audience.

"Oh my gosh, I didn't even see you guys there," Stella giggled softly, which automatically made Mason's red cheeks bloom.

"Alright. Everyone know what they're doing?" Mr. Vervain stated, as the intensity of this situation gradually came to light.
Everyone nodded, besides me.

"Are you sure you want to get dragged into this?" I asked, as I turned to look at every face already embedded in my heart. I was itching for someone to falter, so I could dismiss this plan once and for all.

But no one did. No one said a word, they just stared at me like I was their enemy.

I stretched my arms out, swishing my hands, "Ok ok calm down, just making sure."

Mr. Vervain cleared his throat, clearly not impressed by my remark, "On a serious note, Mason and I will drive and follow you during your walk. We will be right behind you when you reach the house. Don't be scared, we're here.." He turned towards me, his tone softening as reality gradually dawned on him.

His eyes played with mine, deepening with every step he took.

I looked at Stella's watery blue eyes, trying to pickup whether she was in on the secret, which Mr. Vervain and I now share with Ben and Mason.

She smiled knowingly.

I looked back at Mr. Vervain, feeling weak all of a sudden.

"I don't think I can do this," My head fell instantly.

"Would you give us a minute?" Mr. Vervain looked around the school grounds, dragging me towards the parking lot, into the forest which was splattered with green endless trees.

He held my chin firmly in his grip, "You're stronger than you think Aster, trust me. I think of you as my equal, that should say a lot," His voice was raspy.

"You shouldn't. I'm so damaged beyond words. Maybe love isn't going to be enough to get me through this..." I held my hands up, exasperated by all these emotions which have impacted me since our eyes connected.

"Maybe after this is over, this won't be enough Michael," I raged, looking straight at him. 

"Maybe my past will always define me, maybe it will always reside in me. Maybe I won't be able to be your equal, maybe I'll just end up being inferior and useless. Like I've always been whenever I wanted to help..." The pitch in my voice subsided with every 'maybe' I attacked him with.

He looked at me in a strange way, like he was baffled. "You think the days you were near me when I hit rock bottom, you think - " He shook his face and gripped his hair, "You think you were useless?" Fury evidently radiated from him as he inched closer.

I didn't say a word. I just waited for the inevitable, because yes I was. What the hell did I do that wasn't useless?

"Aster, you are my pure radiance," His hand softly caressed my skin, "Do you know what that means?" I shook my head.

"You're like the sun that I can touch and kiss..." He lowered his lips catching every tear drop that slid down my face,
"Without getting burnt into ashes,"

"Don't you get it? Your presence... it burns me on fire," I was heavily breathing now, my internal organs debating whether to shut down or keep going.

He always revives them. He always revives me. I felt a surge of power course through me, fed up with my excuse of a life.

"You empower me," I rubbed his arms, scraping my nails on his smooth skin.

He groaned, holding me tighter. I could feel his hands creep inside my shirt. They kept moving upwards. My breathing was unsteady, his hazel eyes never dared to escape mine. I felt him tug against my strapless bra, "I want you," he rubbed them slowly taking his time.

"Out of all places, you decide to go to second base now?" I groaned, frustrated.

He chuckled, eradicating every frustrated cell inside my system. His laugh was like a melody, a rich, mind-boggling melody.

His hands left my chest and encircled my waist.

I rested my forehead on his, missing the feel of his lips.

"You don't have to run Aster, or chase or fall for me to feel you, all you have to do is breathe. I won't ever leave you," Mr. Vervains lips connected with mine, finally sealing our love.