Chapter 12

The first thing I noticed when I woke up was the guest room I've grown accustomed to. Coming to the realization of the comfort that was blossoming from within me was enough to get my black hoodie and jeans on and bolt in less than 5 minutes.

I was honestly near tears of joy when I discovered that Mr. Vervain unintentionally slept in. But I knew for a man as rigid, and self-conscious as him, to go to the extent of asking for a hug, is clearly in a state of tiresome and profound sorrow.

Trying to eliminate the guilt that was being conjured, I decided to skip school and find my way back home. I felt happy. And noticed, for the first time in I would say forever.

I came across an empty park, there was a shade of light from the sky. I loved winter for this reason alone, no breeze could ever be as refreshing as the mornings in winter.

I recognized Ben from a mile away, he was slouched on the bench smoking a cigarette, too occupied in his own little world.

A genuine smile plastered on my face, I had no idea why this kid had an effect on me, but I proceeded towards him.

"Benjie! you live around here?"

He looked at me curiously, as I plopped down beside him. I could see from the peripheral of my right eye that he had shifted further away.

No response.

"Can I have a cigarette?" without waiting for a miraculous response, I took the packet that was in between us and lit one.

Exhaling the stress that had been bottled up from all the encounters with Mr. Vervain, I began to ponder.

I peered at Ben and he seemed deep in thought.

"Why do you bother talking to me?" Benjie suddenly said. His voice was manly, but extremely low. if he was looking at me, he would notice my shocked expression, but I quickly composed myself.

"We have an unspoken connection" I honestly said. Crossing my legs, I sat facing him. "I don't know what you've been through, but I know it has been tough"

He sighed, still not looking in my direction. It was evident from his face that he was depressed now that I noticed his wary, void pupils.

"See you in school Aster" and with that he snatched the packet of smokes and walked away.

"Wow" I mumbled. Was not expecting that. After finishing my cigarette, I ended up nowhere to be honest.

I took out my phone, which barely functioned and called Stella. I had no one but her to turn to.

After mentioning the names of shops that surrounded me, she got here without a second thought.

"My first assumption was that you live here, but then why would you be lost in your own neighbourhood?" Stel began to think, scratching her head while I got in.

"Don't ask. Long story short I have family friends around here, but sneaked out of the house early so I wouldn't have to put up with their annoying questions. They talk a lot." Moments like this, I was grateful for my lying skills.

"Ahh. That makes sense! well girl we off to school" She huffed pressing on the accelerator. Stella was just so simple and beautiful. Her nails were done, her hair was put in a pony tail, but despite all this simplicity, she didn't see her own value. She was just a girl with an ordinary life with mediocre problems.

I plastered on a sad face. "Stella can we please skip school"

"No way! I've never skipped school, my dad would demolish me!" Exasperated, she spoke moving her hands around

"You're so cute when you pretend like you don't want to skip school. Take a risk. Come on we haven't chilled in like ever" I smiled, knowing this excuse would be more enticing.

Stella narrowed her eyes "I know you're acting weird today! out of all the days I ask you to go out you choose the worst day let alone timing" She seemed like she was considering it.

Without waiting for her to respond I clapped my hands "Let's go! you're the bestest friend!" My only irreplaceable friend. If only she knew how much she means to me.

"Ok I feel so excited now! You're bad influence Aster but what the hell! Yolo" She screeched, we were on our way to the unthinkable.

--------------------------------------------------

"Stella come on! You can do this! I won't be able to do it without you" I reached out to her with my hand trying to grab her closer to me.

"Aster what is wrong with you today! you're literally going to be the death. of. me." Trembling, Stella shook her head. "No way in hell am I jumping off this bridge, you're definition of risk is way way over board"

I laughed. Sighing. I knew this, only because I never had anything to lose, not even my life."I promise, if you do this with me I'll do whatever you want tonight. Will go partying, movies or to a freaking orchestra if you like but just this once" Pouting, I brought my hands together just for her to see how desperate I wanted her to experience this with me.

Stella was adventurous, she just needed a push, and I was the only person in her life that could push her to the limit. She held my hand and smiled. "We're freaking going to Bungy Jump Aster! Holy shit!"

"Your squeals, my ears. Owwww" I said, too excited to care. I needed to escape from my new found feelings. My life.

We held each other like our lives depended it. "We're making memories Stel."

"Let's make memories" She repeated. And we jumped, with her eyes closed, but mine wide open.