Chapter 33

I peered in between the fitting room blinds. 

Mr. Vervain looked so out of place. The constant movement of his eyes reassured me, that I wasn't the only one scared to get caught with my teacher.

I didn't care, my reputation can be thrashed and twisted, it could be tainted and dismantled, but this was Mr. Vervain's career at stake.

"Um.." My cheeks were burning red, but the zipper of my purple blouse, which I fell in love with the moment we entered, was unfortunately on the opposite side.

I ran out of options, I had no intention of wearing the hideous black jumper again. I was dumping it the second I left this place.

Why, why I question, daily, why didn't I grow up with a caring mother, that catered for my needs as a child. Why am I so misplaced in this world. I don't belong here, I had a purpose, but being a righteous daughter wasn't one of them.

Mr. Vervain connected his eyes with mine. They were like an endless river, roaming the world, touching every part of me.

"Can you help me with this" I gestured for him to come in, ensuring my hair didn't expose any skin.

He followed me in the tiny fitted room. He didn't show any sign of discomfort, which calmed me.

I should have been nervous, but this felt too natural.

I looked at his form, his reflection in the mirror while he adjusted the zipper. We were engulfed in this frame, that disconnected anything realistic. His age, didn't matter. We were just two beings, who found each other. 

Our reflection didn't show any sign of wrongness, our relationship of student/teacher couldn't even destroy this perfect image, the way we seamlessly fit together.

I noticed how the blouse fit well. Mr. Vervain remained frozen. He proceeded to internalize me with just one look. I turned around, every beat that drummed against my chest hit the right notes.

How could this be wrong? When it felt so right.

"Mr. Vervain.."

"Michael, Aster" He didn't move an inch, but the air around us filled the space in between.

"Why are you still here"

"I don't know" The internal battle he was fighting evidently appeared on his face.

"You don't know?" I looked at him, wondering, that we've been fighting the same battle the moment our eyes connected.

"I don't know why I say it's wrong when it feels so right" with every step he took ahead, I took a step backwards.

"Be still" it felt like I was listening to a lullaby, every word was followed by a soothing melody.

My mind didn't comprehend his words, my feet were attempting to keep a safe distance from him.

"Be still, my soul" Mr. Vervain softly said, in the most masculine voice one could say.

"You're playing with my heart Michael" I was exhausted.

"This is your signature color" Avoiding my question.

"What do you mean?"

"It's a symbol of your name"

"I can't believe you know what my name means"

"I can't believe you personify a flower" His arms rested on the side, leaving no room for me to escape without colliding into him.

"Stop. Just stop" I placed my hand on his chest, addressing him to move. I didn't push him away, I wanted this, this touch to eternally linger on me.. I wanted to memorize every sensation he's given me.

"This isn't wrong"

"The universe doesn't agree with us" He encircled his hand on mine, pulling it against him.

"Do you hear that? Do you think I can control it Aster?"

The deeper I gazed into his eyes, the more I struggled to visualize my eternity without him.

"I can control every emotion that dwells in there," His forehead touched mine "But when I'm around you, my heart, it blows out of proportion"