Chapter 48

I slid my hand under Ben's arms, clutching him close to me. Stella was also walking in my pace, her eyes secretly stole glances my way.

"This is the reason why I didn't tell you," Her face rapidly changed directions.

"You're naturally a positive and bubbly person. It calms me because spending time with you is an escape from reality," Ben's arms brought me closer to him, as if to remind me that he was here now more than ever.

Stella looked at me guiltily, pain swimming between her pupils, "I'm sorry Aster, I feel so weak right now. Like I've adopted your sorrow. I can't explain it, it's the first time I realize that not all parents and homes resemble mine," Her arms covered my shoulders as we continued our walk.

"I also didn't want you to be aware of this fact during high school, I didn't want to dim your light. So don't let this diminish it please.. " I faintly said. I needed her stronger now than ever, "I need you to empower me by just being yourself,"

"Stella's right Aster. If we let these disturbing people unsettle us now, then we are no use," Ben's eyes connected with mine, his warm look had ignited a familiar feeling I had only experienced with Mr. Vervain.

I felt the blood rush to my cheeks as I looked straight ahead, towards the street I resided in.

"Ok ok! I'm normal. I'm positive! I'm strong, were strong. We will conquer... we will not fall!' The stern look on Stella's face earned a faint chuckle from Ben and a smile from me.

I turned around to confirm that Mason followed our tracks.

I felt a dagger penetrate its way into my heart.  Images of Mr. Vervain's phone call flooded my memory. Apparently it was urgent, because after he finished, his eyelids nearly covered his hazel eyes while he scrutinized me. As thought he felt that I wouldn't completely shatter, at least not yet, he said 'I have to be somewhere'

I remember giving him the 'I-can't-believe-you-look' while I clenched and unclenched my fists. I shook my head, not believing that the only person I genuinely counted on, the one person who lifted my spirits and made me feel secure was now abandoning me when I needed it the most.

"Aster," he had held my arm to stop me. I removed it just as quick and pushed him with all my force. He barely stumbled, but at least the look of hurt resembled mine, if not worse.

Mr. Vervain didn't follow me or beg for my forgiveness or even attempt to stop me again. He just ran to his car, in a rush to get to that someone  who just ruined everything.

I looked at my two friends as we made our way in front of  hell, "Act natural ok? They're animals. They can sense when something is wrong," My voice clear as Ben nodded and Stella gulped in response.

I looked at Mason, reminded of Mr. Vervain. He had an angry look plastered on his face. From the glass window, he mouthed 'I love you, be strong'

I could tell because that's how close he was. I couldn't tell him to be discrete because I understood how worried and insecure he felt about leaving me unarmed.

My heart swelled. I nodded my head and abruptly turned around to try to contain my tears.

"Let's go,"

The wooden floors creaked, signaling our arrival. I took in a deep breath and slowly turned the door knob. The smell of beer and left over food made me want to puke.

There were bottles of alcohol scattered on the floor and trillions of flys circled the pizza on the table. I turned around and pinched the top of my nose.
"I'm so sorry. I'm so embarrassed," I said quietly, regretting bringing them here.

"Aster?" Her menacing voice sent shivers down my spine.

"Mother," I looked at Ben and Stella, shooting them a warning look before I turned around.

Stella's smile was so genuine she nearly had me believing she was fine. Ben nodded with a faint smile and waved.

My mother looked at me like I was out of my mind. And yes, I was.

"What in the hell are they doing here?" I arched my eyebrows. This woman doesn't even know how to be discrete to save her own ass.

I shot her a 'you're-giving-yourself-away' look for her to change her face. It was evident she was hung over and not in the mood. Perfect timing.

"I know you're tired, but we have a project," I went to the family room table and removed the junk with my foot. I ushered with my hands for my friends to come sit on the couch, infuriating my mother even more. "Sorry but we need the open space to present our pieces, seeing as my room is tiny as a cell," I death glared her before plumping down on the couch.

I don't know where this confidence came from, but I knew the two people sitting beside me played a huge  part in that.

"Why you-" I felt my mother shuffle between the scattered bottles, awaiting the physical contact.
I felt Ben and Stella's hand intertwine with mine from each side. Ben had his phone out ready to send Mason the green light to come in.

"Honey, what are you doing?" My step-father came to the rescue, of course not to mine. Ben stopped typing and removed his hand from mine, to act more natural.

This earned me a stern look. I needed to rile her up because I knew for a fact my step-father was smarter and more aware than my mother ever was.

"Yeah mother, what are you doing? You can't even show respect when my friends are over,"

"Aster, what are you doing," Stella scream-whispered.

"What the heck Aster?" Ben said.

They knew I was meant to rile her up, but I knew i had to do more than that. My mother had to actually hit me so we could lock her and my step-father up. Attempting was too risky at this point, and I couldn't afford to mess this up.

My step-father looked at me knowingly, already comprehending my master plan.

"Let's go honey, leave Aster and her friends to study," he tried to drag her out but she wouldn't budge.

She looked at me like I was her prey. I stood up, my heart beat gradually getting slower. I felt like death was around the corner.

Remember Coach Zayne. I chanted in my head, mentally scrolling through all the training he had taught me.

"Respect? I'll show you respect you bitch," She was speed walking, her fists in the air ready to strike. I had to let her strike, for proof.

Stella's scream pierced my ears and Ben's cries for help were muffled. I felt her knuckles collide with my chin causing blood to spurt out. I lost balance and fell on the floor.

Even though my eyes were in pain, I managed to open them enough to see Mason's figure punching his father senseless.

My mother began to kick me in the stomach. It temporarily stopped. I saw Stella and Ben attempt to push her off, but she was fearless, with just one punch, she sent Stella to the floor and Ben alongside with her. Ben wasn't harmed, however, he was putting pressure on Stella's nose that bled endlessly.

I had to get up. I had to fight. While she continued kicking, I unexpectedly held her foot and twisted it. She fell, tumbling down the floor. Her mouth wide open, not anticipating my next move.

I stomped my foot on her stomach, "I hate you," tears streamed down my face, "I hate you for existing and making me exist with you,"

Despite the excruciating pain pumping in my veins, from my head to my stomach, I continued.

"Watch out!" I turned around looking at Masons unmoving body and Coach Zayne presence along with two police officers. But before I could react, my step-father knocked me out with just one, unrelenting punch.

I couldn't move, I was completely numb. Shattered. The darkness was taking over.

My thoughts were consumed by him. All I could think of was Mr. Vervain. All I could see was him.

I love him, I loved him even with my last breath.