Chapter 25

Mason ended up picking me up from the old ladies house, which I've claimed as my own. He didn't question why I called him, or the reason I looked like I was beaten up. It was a mellow encounter.

We ended up driving to the diner that I've grown so fond of. Mason ordered two cold smoothies, the atmosphere was warm, which balanced the intensifying temperature between us.

It wasn't just resonating around us, it was colliding within the spaces reserved in between. I sat facing him, he stared, waiting for me to pour my heart out.

"You called me for a reason, start talking Aster" Mason said firmly. The tension began to crumble, and the reality of my actions settled in.

"You're a stranger, I can't just express so easily. You need to give me a reason to confide in you"

"You don't do it often, I know. It's true that I find you hard to read, but I've gradually come to terms with the fact that you unravel a piece of the puzzle, every time we meet" His eyes penetrated mine.

I attempted to register his words, with every passing moment. It was hard to open up, but I felt as though he could get through to me.

He's a psychologist, I thought.
Of course, he does this for a living. Mason was trained to stimulate emotion, a reaction, and channel it to the best of his interest.

"Stop talking to me like I'm you're patient" My eyes were cold, I wanted him to feel the affect this was having on me. The fact that I was inches away from revealing my deepest darkest secret.

"You know Aster, we are all weak. Not because we choose to be, but because we are programmed this way. It's human to feel broken, and it's human to care and question people that do. It's called empathy"

The way Mason spoke, his words only reassured me that they held a deeper understanding to similar situations like this, like mine.

"You deal with a lot of nut cases I see" I smiled, trying to find humour in this miserable situation I was in.

I put my hand up, before he threw back a remark. "I didn't call Mr. Vervain for a reason. I don't want to talk about this. I need an escape, I have no one to turn to. I chose you to avoid questioning, because you have the ability to know when someone doesn't want to talk"

"You're right. I won't push you Aster, but like you said, I avoid people that are in denial. You should have called Michael." Masons face turned sour.

I was slightly offended. I tried to deny the regret he made me feel, the poor choices I tend to make. Why did I call him again?

"He's my teacher"

"And I'm what Aster?"

I sighed. "You're an acquaintance. You can't tell me that's worse than resorting to my teacher"

"I'm speaking to you like you're an adult, don't undermine the way you perceive things. You're very perceptive, and by the looks of it, you convey a mind that transcends your standard age"

Every time Mason said something he would avoid looking directly into my eyes. His gaze kept flickering to my cheek, my swelling eyes, my current state.

His honesty was all I needed to retract the feeling of regret I felt seconds ago. "Can we make a deal?" I said.

It's ironic, how people need to set conditions to gain something in return. I felt like this approach worked with Mr. Vervain and I, it was gradual, but It was a start, to push me to open up to someone.

It took him a while to respond. I waited, and hoped that I wasn't going to lose a genuine person. I didn't have much to lose, hence why the silence intensified my nerves.

"Depends"

"On what?" I puffed. This man reminded me of myself in many ways, he always thought things through.

"Stop being in denial. I'll accept your deal without knowing of it, if you avoid becoming an escapist"

I could tell this was important to him. Who knows who he's dealt with. It amazes me, the normal demeanour Mason always portrays. As if he never burdens himself with problems that aren't his own.

"Deal" I exhaled. Relief washed over me, and I didn't try to conceal it.

"Go on"

"I'll tell you when I'm ready. But when I call you, you need to always be there Mason" I sighed. Trying to hold back the tears.

Mason finally directed his eyes, straight into mine. Before he could answer, his phone started ringing. He stared at the screen, appearing reluctant to answer.

"It's Michael" Mason looked at me, silently asking me if he should tell him we're together.

"Tell him I'm here" My heartbeat escalated. The knowledge of Mason and I seated together, without Mr. Vervain is odd. Mason is Mr. Vervains friend, not mine. But I felt the need to be honest with Mr. Vervain, and now, that I was aware of this, it frightened me to pieces.

I was irrevocably attached to him. He was my muse. If this was under different circumstances, I wouldn't have hid from him; I would have exposed every part of me. He was a worthy man. The way he spoke, the way he held himself, the words he uttered, were proof enough.

"He's coming" Mason rubbed his cheek. "Knowing my friend, your silent answers will not be adequate for him"

"I know" I breathed in. Drinking my smoothie. I tried to cool down the warmth that began to resonate within.

"And Aster, consider your deal accepted" Mason smiled, reminding me of our first encounter. The smile I just received from him was in its entirety, a different, more accepting one.