Chapter 15

"Let's go. I'm taking you and Stella home" After moments of unspoken sentiments, Mr, Vervain stood up.

Without arguing I stood up and followed him towards a cheerful Stella and a composed Joh- Mason.

It automatically felt like Stella grew a liking towards Mason. Her eyes were filled with admiration?

"I'm dropping the girls off home Mason, will speak about this issue later" Mason nodded, obviously understanding Mr. Vervain's subliminal message.

I looked over at Stella waiting for her to mention that we drove her car here. But her eyes remained on Mason's every movement and he was smiling knowingly. I knew however it wasn't an 'up-himself' expression, but a humble one.

"We already have a car" I stated, even though I just wanted to take into account every kind gesture he was offering, or perhaps persisting was more of an accurate term.

Mr. Vervain was silent. I held Stella's arm ready to say my goodbyes and drag her out with me.

"I'll follow you girls to your home" Raising my eyebrow Mr. Vervain caught on and elaborated "To make sure you get home safely" He scratched his head and I smiled at his nervousness.

"That's so nice of you Mr. Vervain!" Stella commented. She said her goodbyes to Mason, with glimmering eyes and a smile plastered on her face.

"See you around Stella, Aster."

I looked at him and he immediately returned the look. We didn't have to acknowledge each other's presence or absence because we both understood that we were resorting to see each other as mere acquaintances.

It is evident on both sides that we are curious-threatened, with one another, which is why seeing each other again will entail more than just a hi how are you.

We left the club. "Stella can I have a word with you" I looked at Mr. Vervain's curious eyes indicating that he should give us space. He moved a couple of meters away, leaning on his car.

"I'm going to go with Mr. Vervain. I'm not allowed to stay out late, especially on a school night. So if I had Mr. Vervain pause as my tutor then my parents would definitely not take my freedom away from me if you know what I mean" I gave her a cheeky smile.

"That makes so much sense! Good thinking. I'll see you tomorrow at school. I need to update you" She gave me a soft hug.

I hate lying to her. My heart quietly constricted as I headed towards Mr. Vervains car.

"What's happening?" Without waiting for a response he opened the door for me and quickly hopped in the driver seat.

I looked at him with sad eyes. He looked at me with slight worry mixed with care "Aster, you ok?"

"Can I stay with you tonight?"

Two days to go, before Friday dawns on me.

"Yes" he turned on the ignition and the heater, and accelerator towards his home.

"Can I ask you a question?" Mr. Vervains voice echoed gently in my ear. I felt the coldness of the windowpane as I leaned on it to stare at him.

"Anything" I said openly.

"Are you usually this comfortable with voicing how you think or feel towards a person?" His firm tone was low but serious.

I contemplated on the question asked and the agenda behind it.

"Your questions vague Mr. Vervain" I said enjoying the warmth of his car, but most of all his presence.

"It's not. You're smart enough to read in-between the lines" He gave me a pointed look.

"You're right Mr. Vervain, I just want to hear your voice" I sighed closing my eyes. I could feel this long day kicking in. "Keep talking" I whispered.

Silence enveloped me like a sweet melody.

I could hear his soft breathing, escalating my every beat.

I could taste his scent dissolving into every floating atom.

This moment was pure comfort.

I opened my eyes slowly. We were already in front of his home.

I could see his hazel eyes consume me while he stared at me, every second replaced with a different emotion, intrigue, understanding, depth, desire...

"This is what I mean Aster. Are you like this with everyone?" Mr. Vervains eyes slowly darkened.

"I am." I said. I felt the rapid change of atmosphere. It was tense. He was tense. Mr. Vervain looked away and tightened his finger on the door knob. He slammed it and headed towards the door.

I followed him quietly while he shuffled with the keys, attempting to find the right fit. I covered his hand to stop him from making so much noise. He looked at me with silent anger.

"You didn't let me finish" I sighed. Moving my hand to brush a few hair strands away from his perfect face, "I am open with everyone. But only negatively" His eyes softened. "Only you, you get the positive treatment."

"You're so temperamental Michael" I took the keys from him with my heart rate in fast pace, unlocked the door easily and headed, more like ran towards the guest room... my room.

I saw his jumper and comfy pants tidied on the bed and smiled at the sweet gesture.

He knew I was coming eventually. Mr. Vervain knew the affect he had on me.

I didn't stay after I told him the truth, because I wasn't prepared for what was to come next. Maybe I was. Maybe it was nothing. This past week has been so surreal. I've never had high expectations, and I won't start now.

I understood that when the time comes, and I'm deprived of any sort of company, which is now, my thoughts would start to take a toll on me. I wasn't planning on growing fond of anyone let alone my teacher. It was still a mystery, this foreign feeling.

I lay down in bed, thinking, glad that Mr. Vervain didn't intervene.

Whenever I was with him, I felt the need to show him the real me... to unravel every scar violently created, every pain crucially inflicted and every aspect of my broken heart and soul.

I just felt an extreme need for him.