Chapter 39

"I love you" He whispered, again.

The lump in my throat gradually grew. I wanted to burst into heartfelt tears. This man loved me. His eyes drew me in, like a moth to the blazing light.

Mr. Vervain had his eyes fixed on mine. The love he felt swirled in hazel, they called out to me. The tension that surfaced, pulled us closer with every passing moment.

I unbuckled my seat belt and lifted my body towards the right. His eyes dilated when he realized what I was doing. I wrapped my leg around his torso and shifted closer to him. Mr. Vervains mouth parted slightly when I rested my forehead on his.

"Wha-"

"You're mine now, Mr. Vervain. You can't tell me what not to do" I inhaled his scent, not afraid to expose my yearning for him. "Especially when it relates to you"

Mr. Vervain composed himself and held me by waist. He pulled me close enough for me to feel the comfort of his face on mine.

I didn't wait for him to talk. I traced circles around his dimples. I didn't feel the need to restrain myself any longer, it was like this force was unleashed. I was free.

I placed soft kisses on his jawline, around his dimples, his beautifully crafted cheekbone. I felt Mr. Vervains chest slam into mine with every breath he took.

His fingers glided under my shirt, it set me on fire.
"I love you" Mr. Vervain murmured. His lips brushed mine with every word.

We both parted our lips. Inhaling and exhaling, like an airway passing through the both of us. Our eyes were interlocked. I didn't want to close them, his face calmed the storm in my heart. It lit the darkness.

Mr. Vervain bit my lip, his hazel eyes never faltering. That's when I succumbed to him.

My heart was hungry for his love, my body was hungry for his touch.

Our lips moved smoothly, I could taste the longing in them. It was more than love, it was passion. This was passion. I was passionately, irrevocably in love with him.

"Mr. Vervain" I remembered the appointment I had with Ben. Mr. Vervain didn't stop. The look he gave me signaled that I wasn't going anywhere. His tongue slowly caressed mine; his eyes never shifted.

I pushed him softly away, reclining on the car wheel. It was hard to focus on anything but the sound of my heart. This beautiful man.

"I need to be somewhere." Mr. Vervain had a look filled with desire, but he didn't make a move. I could tell he was in a trance. The way his face glowed sealed my existing wounds.

"I won't argue this time. Just tell me where to drop you off." Mr. Vervain smiled genuinely. The wrinkles validated this eccentric happiness we both felt.
The hole carved from his dimples made my heart split into two.
He had the other half.
He was my other half.

We sat in resonance.
The intensity of looking him in the eye didn't feel invasive anymore. The strange wistfulness of holding his hand and exchanging silent, but expressive words was beyond the limitless sky.

He parked in front of the old lady's house. Guilt tugged on the strings to my heart. Aware that his knowledge of my state of living, my state of being, still limited.

I checked my phone and found a message from Ben.

'It's cancelled. I'll explain why in school. Thank you Aster. Thank you for just being'

The inexplicable urge to push him away crept inside my thoughts. I needed space. I needed to think. I needed to vent. I needed someone to pinch me, to reassure me that this is real. I am worthy. I can be loved.

"Give me your number" Mr. Vervain retrieved his phone. I repeated my number twice because he wanted to double check it was correct. I smiled at his subtle protective nature.

"You're super cute" I pinched his cheek softly. The realization of my source of home. That feeling of him being home to me, immersed rapidly.

His face switched into full seriousness, "Uhm"
Mr. Vervain looked confused "I don't know how to react to that particular comment"

I chuckled as I unbuckled my seatbelt and closed the door gently.

He rolled down the window, "If anything happens" Mr. Vervain clenched his fist, "Anything. Call me"

I nodded and waved as I watched the love of my life disappear into darkness.

I quickly dialed Masons number.

"Where are you?" Mason picked up on the first ring. He sounded worried.

"I'm ok. I'll message you the address"

After 15 minutes of replaying Mr. Vervains perfectly molded face, the depth of his eyes, his touch... Mason's head lights shook me back to the present.

I slipped in the front seat, finding comfort in this heat. It was freezing cold outside.

Mason looked at me in a way, his eyes filled with worry. His eyes skimmed my face and down every inch of my body.

I raised my eyebrow, "Uhm. What are you doing?"
I held my self, feeling self-conscious.

"I figured when you said I should be there when you called, you meant when you're in a state of.. you know" Mason scratched the surface of his head and awkwardly turned on the ignition.

I smiled, "Mason, you are a softy."
I recalled his act of being reserved and analytical.

"I'm not. Why did you call me?" Mason said frustrated. His attitude reminded me of Mr. Vervain a little.

"Remember the day we met, when you called me a pathological liar?" I said. The image of us two sitting on the stool bar, vividly painted itself in my head.

"I know what you're going to say. Why am I here, right?" He said carefully.

I nodded.

"I feel the need to be there when you're calling." He said. "Figuratively speaking, I feel the need to protect you" His eyes were fixated on the road.

My heart swelled with comfort. I felt at ease around him, it didn't make sense to me either.

"I know why Michael relents with you." He parked his car amongst a narrow road that led up to a murky forest.

I flipped my hair to the side to get a good look at him. Mr. Vervain invaded my mind once again.

"I'll tell you one day. Where did you get that scar again?" His curiosity still remained ever since he pointed it out.

I involuntarily touched my neck and tried to recall what my mother told me.

"I don't remember. I thought it was a birthmark. I think it still is and my mother is making up lies, to make me feel worse" I rambled.

Mason's emerald eyes reflected mine in shock.

"Forget I said anything."

"Your mother abuses you?" The look he had could kill. But there was something else.

He muttered countlessly "This can't be."

I was dumbfounded by his reaction. I held his hand to comfort him; my senses were out of control. The fear grew inside of me every time I mentioned my mother. Now he knows. But there was something else.

"Mason you're scaring me" I said worried. I held his hand even tighter to snap him back to reality.

Mason looked at me. His eyes brimmed with unshed tears. The man who was always composed, the one who spoke so eloquently and understood people so easily - the handsome, yet out-of-reach man - this man didn't exist, this man wasn't Mason. My heart wrenched as he spoke the next words.

"Do you have a step father?"