Chapter 5

After my encounter with Mr. Vervain, I ended up locked in my room until Monday. My mother would leave me $20 every Sunday so I could feed myself throughout the week.

Of course my family being far from ordinary only had beers stored up in the fridge, and food labelled in their names. I lived off noodles and the lunch I bought from school.

They didn't leave me enough money to allow me to pamper myself with anything I craved, but the right amount to keep me living so that they could have their weekly payments. Correction, allowance which by no means served me right.

It was Monday morning, I put on my black hoodie and ripped jeans and ran out of the house to the bus stop. It was only a 5 minute ride.

The school was empty; I figured everyone was in their role call class. I went to my usual spot on the field, and sat next to a tree which I named Pumpkin. It reminded me of Halloween, every time people went out for tricka treating, I would come here and buy my lollies, eat and watch the stars shine their beauty onto the world.

While I lay on my bag, watching the clouds roam their way with their fluffy wings around me, I began to hear footsteps approaching. I pushed the hoodie closer to my face and braced myself for Mr. Williams, the principal, to throw me a tantrum about how all students should be in role class, as always I got a lecture and had no choice but to waltz back to class.

"Why aren't you in class Aster?" Mr. Vervains voice demanded.

And I thought this day could go smoothly. I grabbed my bag and stood up. "I was admiring the sky Sir, is there a problem? class starts in 10 minutes"

I looked at his figure, his hair was combed perfectly, and his face serious and empty, addressing me as a student, nothing more, nothing less.

I could feel the tension, the barrier that I created between us. He was a teacher, and thinking about this made me doubt my perception of him as something more than that.

He held his suit case, and was about to say something, but he stopped himself and peered at the sky.

"It is a masterpiece, I don't blame your admiration for it." He closed his eyes for a second and breathed in the air. But the moment was over in an instance, and his face returned to a serious one.

"Mr. William informed me of a girl that always skips role call classes, and he advised me to sort it out. He grew tired of repeating himself." He said nonchalantly.

"I don't blame him." I stated, feeling my heart constrict a little.

He gave me a look of sympathy, "I do, it is his duty to keep tabs on his students." He stood there and I could feel his words soothe a really small part of me that yearns to be fought for.

I felt angry at his response, he wasn't meant to be nice to me. "Don't give me that look Mr. Vervain I'll be on my way to class now." I began to retrieve, staring at the entry door from behind him.

Before I passed him, he held my right arm, my bruised one. "Ouch" I automatically pulled it back and shot him daggers.

He looked at me, taken by my reaction and stood back. Mr. Vervain looked at my arm, and put his suit case down. He grabbed it slowly, tight enough to grasp it. He pulled my black sleeves up and stared at my arm, tracing the wound that had been recently carved with a knife.

I didn't have the strength to pull it back again, I was physically and emotionally drained. I tried to avoid his gaze and stood their feeling inferior.

Mr. Vervain began to caress his fingers gently on the wound which internally affected my blood cycle. I could sense my cheeks begin to burn a little.

The next words that came out of him were not of sympathy or anything in relation to that. "You missed roll call, detention after school."

He dropped my arm and held his suit case and made his way back to the school demountable, leaving me in awe.