Chapter 2

I walked down the hallway; I could barely see the exit door. It was so dark and gloomy. The sound of the heavy rain thrashed the school building sending shivers down my spine.

I quickened my pace, realizing no one was around except Mr. Vervain, which happened to be in his class since I hadn't heard any movement from his side.

The moment I opened the exit door, I was hit with a cold breeze. My exposed legs quivered, my stomach began to ache and no sooner, I could feel the sickness stir within me.

I groaned in frustration, "Curse you Friday!" I clutched my bag closer to my chest, and hastily looked at my watch. I sighed in relief, it was still 5pm; I had 30 minutes left until it was time.

I walked out of the building and began my journey under the rain, headed to a house that I wished I'd call home. I was wishful thinking.

My eyes blurred, I couldn't tell whether it was the warm rain streaming down my face, or mere heartfelt tears. I could sense the transition beginning to happen, the happy teenager in school, and the strong optimist, succumbing to the real Aster, the shattered one.

It was only a 15-minute walk from school. I looked around the streets; there were hardly any cars. Whatever light appeared in the sky was fading rapidly. I was soaked wet from the endless rain.

I vowed not to be late last time. But who am I kidding? Even if I was on time, today should be a reminder for me that the marks on my skin will never cease.

As I looked at my watch again, I began to speed walk. I only had 10 minutes left; I felt the fear crawl up inside my veins, spreading itself everywhere.

And just when I felt like this day could not get any worse, I slipped and fell face down on a rock. I brought my hand to the corner of my eyelids. The warmth of the red liquid covered my hand from where I touched it.

"Well they're going to love this," I laughed bitterly.

Suddenly a black BMW pulled up beside the pathway I was in. I was still on the floor, bleeding from the forehead with rain pouring down.

I could see a figure step out of the car. I was hoping they would kidnap me and kill me, do whatever they want, so long as I don't go back home. But I knew better. It was too late, I was already late.

"Aster?"

"Mr. Vervain?" I screamed over him, frustrated that it turned out to be him.

He bent down, and shoved my hair away from my forehead, "Get in the car now! You're bleeding," Mr. Vervain stood up and grabbed me from under my arm. I didn't say a word, because honestly, with his demanding tone you could easily submit.

We settled in his car, it was warm and comforting. I buckled up, putting my seatbelt on. I could smell his sweet scent lingering in the air. I lay my head on the seat, trying to grasp the crucial fate that awaited me.

"Aster, can you please explain to me why you were walking in the midst of a thunderstorm!" Mr. Vervain exclaimed in frustration. He pulled his hair back, giving me a clear look of his face.

I could feel my heart beat... with each single pound in my chest. My eyes betrayed me as his gaze transitioned from frustration to interest.

"I want to know your story," I said, smiling. Not a care in the world. Accepting the fact that this may perhaps be the last time I get to see him, I get to see anything for that matter.

Mr. Vervain looked at me in shock, definitely not expecting me to say that, hell I wasn't expecting me to say that either. He irritated me just minutes ago. I don't know what came over me.