Chapter 54

Why is it so hard to let go and move on?

In the course of time Michael and I spent together, the feeling of belonging grew deeper inside of me for a while. It kept spreading throughout my internal system.

But it was evaporating. Slowly, and painfully.

It was hard at the beginning, when silence was my only answer to his question.

I knew his love ran rampant. It was selfless. He loved me enough to make the decision on behalf of me. If only I knew then what I know now. I attacked him with my words and cried when Michael said that it was time for him to leave. I couldn't detect emotion in his tone.

When Michael kissed me one last time, it didn't last long. It was bittersweet.

We drove silently, the sound of void encapsulated us, never ceasing to vanish.

I remember that night, I cried while Mason rubbed my back, muttering words of solace, he tucked me into bed, and offered me a few words that up until this day, continue to echo in my mind.

"Go inside yourself, find the missing parts of you, Aster, turn your attention inwards, explore your past wounds, heal them, and then you will be able to come to terms with your life,"

I could see his warm eyes passed my watery ones.

"But I'm complete with him, like whole. Like he's my source of strength, isn't that enough?"

"No Aster, I'm sorry but no,"

My eyes penetrated his soul, I just wanted to explode right then and there.

"Calm down, control. You need self-control. You need to dissolve that anger. Aster, Michael is not a teenager, he has a kid, he's going through divorce, he suffered as much as you,"

He was right. Of course, he's a freaking psychologist.

But the truth, sigh, the truth turned into bricks, and I could feel every hit.

"If he is your only source of strength, what will happen when he crumbles; who will save him from himself? How will you? When your  source collapses and you along with it?

Aster, let go."

I didn't sleep that night. He was right, I was broken. I needed to heal. He needed an equal, as did I.

If what we had was true, if it were pure, if it were raw, if it were everything I felt when I was around him, then we're bound together. Sooner or later.

My parents effed me up, but that night, I was determined to become everything they were not. After all, this time, I was not the one in shackles.

I begged Mason to promise me not to tell Michael which University I was headed.
"I'm seeking me," I quietly whispered "I don't want any distractions."

He nodded in understanding, engulfed me with his arms.

Mason was the brother I never had in my brutal upbringing. But now, he's all mine. I was so grateful for his existence, He insisted he would fund my university tuition and me and Stellas dorm room, of course I did not refuse seeing as I had no choice. And Stella, well they're already talking about getting married after she finishes her nursing degree.

Benjie, he was my sidekick. We spoke telepathically, and that within itself is the most peaceful, transparent friendship I have ever come to know.

They all shaped me.

They all pushed me.

Michael, I miss you. I whispered to my mind, as we drove away from our past and transcended towards our future.