Chapter 19

"So... I think Mason is my soulmate" Stella had dreamy eyes. We couldn't talk properly in class.

We were seated on the table in front of the canteen.

I stared, while those who were more fortunate spent their money without thinking twice.

My tummy was aching, I tried to brush off the fact that I didn't have a penny on me. I had to wait till the weekend to get my weekly salary, which was barely enough.

"I don't know, I just felt like we shared a connection you know?" Stella asked.

I know all too well. "I see. Did you get his number?"

"No I was too shy to ask! And I don't think he had time to offer, because you and Mr. Vervain showed up to leave" She sighed.

"Well I'm sure if fate had a plan for you two, you won't be able to escape it" I reassured her, feeling like this has been taking a toll on her.

"I hope so" She nibbled on her sandwich while I stared at her. I placed a hand on my tummy hating the position I was in.

"Do you think Mr. Vervain and Mason are close friends" Stella continued talking about Mason. Maybe she felt like this was the closest she could get to him.

"I'm pretty sure. He didn't take offense to Mr. Vervain's cold ways, if you know what I mean"

"I wonder if he's always like that. I'd hate to project a gloomy personality on a constant basis"

"I agree. Maybe" I smiled, knowing he had a hidden side to him that bloomed.

"Oh hi Mr. Vervain" Stella looked at me awkwardly, warning me not to proceed with our conversation.

I looked up at his handsome figure, his eyes were piercing. I could tell he was slightly perplexed.

"Sorry to interrupt, but I'd like a word with Aster in my room. It's important" I looked at Stella, silently saying bye and followed him as he led the way.

He took a seat and gestured to the seat on the corner of his desk.

I sat, wondering what was so urgent.

Mr. Vervain pushed a brown bag towards me. I looked at it and reverted my gaze back to his sad ones.

"What is that? And why are you looking at me like that?"

He stared at me for a good minute while he rubbed his hands together.

"I've been spending time with you for the past three days. I've seen the amount of food you take. It's abnormal that it has been less than insufficient"

His words were gentle, as if he didn't want me to break down, or scare me away.

Sighing. I realised that this bag contained a sandwich. The thought of him being so observant, so considerate of my well being, made me relent to him more than I have since the day I've known him.

I wasn't going to deny it. "I'm not going to deny that" I avoided his gaze, fixating it on his hands I have yearned to hold.

I quickly looked at the classroom door, not wanting anyone to distract us.

"Don't worry, I'm free next period" He stated.

"Why would I worry?"

"Because you want to spend time with me" Mr. Vervain didn't smirk. He didn't even act like he had an upper hand knowing that I genuinely enjoyed his company.

I could feel my face burn a little,  enough to give it away.

Mr. Vervain smiled, revealing his charming dimples.

They charmed me.

His eyes penetrated mine. The way he was looking at me, really touched the surface of my soul. 

"I'd like to caress you"

That burning sensation spread everywhere. I could feel it in my bones, my organs...

Mainly my heart.

"Are you ok?" I stuttered. His eyes were so soft.

"Why wouldn't I be?"

"You're acting... carefree" I firmly stated. Hating how my feelings were taking over me. "That's abnormal"

His smile faltered for a second, but it didn't vanish. "You have that effect on me"

"I.. " my stomach made a faint sound automatically extinguishing the dimples I've grown to love.

"Eat" he didn't even wait for me to unwrap the sandwich. It was filled with vegetables and slices of turkey.

I took it slowly and smiled at him, hoping the message was received. I don't do well with kindness... since it's rarely aimed at me.

He watched me eat and I sat there enjoying the peace.

After I finished. I felt good, and livelier than I was this morning.

"I don't know what to say"

"Don't" Mr. Vervain firmly looked at me, like that was the least he could do.

"I want to know your story Aster"

"I know. But the fact that I haven't said anything should tell you that I don't want you to."

"How about we make a deal?" I raised my eyebrows. I began to think about it.

Drumming my fingers. I couldn't get out of this. I was curious. If anything, Mr. Vervain would be the only person who would empathise with me. And not pity me.

"Deal"

"I still haven't said anything"

"I know"  I smiled, encouraging him to proceed.

"Il ask you one question every day, and you have to answer with all honesty. Will take it step by step" He said. Emphasising that he didn't want to rush me.

"Ok... I still don't understand what I'll benefit out of it"

"You can either ask me a question in return, or sleep over my place whenever you want." His eyes filled with hope and understanding. He knows. I reminded myself.

"You're welcome anytime Aster" I could see his hands inches away from mine, filling the distance.

I traced his fingertips with my eyes, waiting to feel his warmth.

The electricity of his touch electrified me. I looked at him as our fingers brushed against each other. It felt right. This connection was too deep for words.

"I admire this" Mr. Vervain said. His sweet words lingering around us. This side of him was too rare. Too foreign. But I loved it.

"I admire you" I itched closer wanting to interlace my fingers with his.

"What do you admire"

"Just the way you hold yourself. The power in your presence"

"Power?"

"Yes. I love it"

The tension was building. I didn't want to make the first move. Mr. Vervain realised my reluctance and sought my hands with his instantly.

Sighing, I closed my eyes. Loving this unspoken love. It was love. Even if my judgment was being clouded. This feeling was enough to associate it with the meaning of love...

"I love.." The second we heard the bell we automatically retrieved our intertwined hands.

We stared at each other. Only one thought replaying..

"I love.."  what... who?