Jordan

It took me about a day to figure out what to do with the mess that I'd created the day before. We didn't talk for the whole day, but I guess that's not too bad. I mean, I used forget about her for that time period when we weren't together, but it's not the same. I wanna apologize to her. Make things right. I mean, I still have the ring sitting in my pocket, ready to be presented.
So, I got outta bed this morning, and tried to find my best outfit, and Jennifer's favorite cologne that she always liked on me. And of course, I made my hair extra soft and poofy for her, just in case she decides to run her hands through it.
I walk to Jennifer's apartment and open the door. "Wanna go for a drive?" I say. She was in the middle of watching Saved by the Bell while curled up on the couch. And it was on Zack and Kelly's breakup scene. She looks up at me and nods. She quietly gets up and slips on a pair of ballet flats.
She closed her apartment door when we left and the ride down the elevator felt like forever since we didn't say a word about anything. And we eventually got into the car and drove off. At first I really wasn't sure where I was going but then once we hit the first intersection, I had an idea to go to Pizza Plus if all else fails. I my palms started getting sweaty behind the wheel. I knew I had to mend my relationship first before I skipped to proposing. And the ring sat uncomfortably in my back pocket to remind me.
With both hands on the wheel, I started with, "So, anything on your mind?" That was a stupid question. I automatically became nervous on what her response was and kept my eyes on the road.
Jennifer put her elbow on the rim of the window and her fingers scrunched up against her eyebrow. She sarcastically replied with, "There's a lot on my mind, Jordan. Isn't that obvious?"
My face gets hot. Feeling like a dingbat, I say, "Right..."
There was an awkward pause. She goes on, "Well, since you asked me, what's been on your mind?"
I tense up in my seat and grip both of my hands on the wheel extra hard, "You..." I think I felt a sweat gland.
She turns her head to the window and made a mumbles annoyingly, "Well, that's a shocker..."
And I began to feel frustrated. "Sorry, what was that? I didn't hear you, Jennifer."
Jennifer gripped the arm rest and spoke louder and with an attitude, "I said, WELL THAT WAS A SHOCKER!" And that's when I moved us to the side of the road and slammed the brakes to halt.
I finally yell, "STOP! Look, let's just get out, and bring it outside." We slammed our car door shut when we got out and we argued and argued.
Until it to this point:
Jennifer yelled, "WHY DO YOU ALWAYS HAVE TO BE SO JEALOUS OF ME!?"
I shoot back with, "OH, DON'T TURN THIS INTO ONE OF YOUR CHEESY CHICK-FLICKS THAT YOU WATCH ON FRIDAYS NIGHTS, JENNIFER! I'M JUST TRYING TO PROTECT YOU!"
"PROTECT ME? JORDAN, I'M NOT A LITTLE DITSY TEENAGER ANYMORE! I DON'T DATE JOEY ANYMORE. SO GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT, AND STOP WORRYING SO MUCH!"
"JENNIFER! DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND THAT IT'S LIKE ANOTHER WAY OF SHOWING HOW MUCH I LOVE YOU BY PROTECTING YOU?" And then it started to down pour.
"JORDAN, IF YOU REALLY LOVED ME, WE'D BE MARRIED BY NOW! WHY ARE YOU WAITING SO LONG!?"
"WELL, JUST MARRY ME, GOSH DANG IT!" And I drop myself onto one knee and she just looked at me with wide eyes. I guess she wasn't sure how to respond. Maybe she thought it was a joke, but then I busted out the ring and she cupped her mouth with her hands, and teared up. She just stood there for a minute, crying and she brought me up by the hands and smushed my face against hers. And we kissed in the rain.