10. New Years

Heyyyyyy fun fact I'm in marching band and It's hell

We haven't had a practice yet but I'm dreading next Thursday

It was New Years Eve at the bunker. Dean and Sam were setting up to celebrate. They had bought about a dozen beers, and three pies (Dean's choosing to). Cas, not knowing what was going on, tried to fit in like he always do. They all sat down to watch the count down in New York. Cas didn't know what was so special about a glittering ball rolling down a metal pole until it reached the bottom, and realized that, couldn't he just fly them over there?

Dean refused, not liking big cities. Sam, on the other hand, was about to agree when Dean gave him a dirty look. Cas shifted from where he sat.

The people on the screen were cheering loudly, with hats that read in green letters "2016" or "Happy New Years!". All of them were chanting numbers as the ball slowly progressed downwards.

"Five! Four! Three! Two! One!"

Suddenly, Cas looked around the screen to find that many of the people started to kiss. They were probably couples. Is this a tradition? He thought, slowly coming to a realization that Dean was sitting besides him. Only he was aware of the fact that they had so much sexual tension between them. Cas thought this would be a good time to let it loose. He found himself grabbing Dean's collar and pulling him sideways into a kiss. Sam's cheers trailed off and he fell silent. Dean put a hand on his shoulder, and seemed to be kissing him back. But, in his disappointment, he pushed him away. They stared at each other for a few seconds. Cas couldn't read Dean's emotions. He saw red creeping up his cheeks before Dean had gotten up and darted out the door.

Sam and Cas sat in silence for a few minutes, and the awkwardness began to rise. Cas cleared his throat as Sam searched for words to say. "Uh.." He was surprised. "Wow. Can't you guys.. y'know, get a room? Maybe?" He threw out. Cas squinted, and tilted his head. "I feel that Dean did not like that I had kissed him. What do I do?" Sam stood up.

"Wait here, I'll go talk to him. Give me a minute." He walked out of the room, leaving Cas alone. He stared at the screen in silence, before sighing, letting his head lower. Cas felt empty, and he knew the feeling. It wasn't a new one. The words registered in his mind. Sadness. Grief. Sorrow. Hurt. He slumped down onto the couch, and looked around the room. It was quiet. There were empty beer bottles left uncared for on the floor, and a half eaten pie where Dean was sitting. It felt like hours had past, and maybe they did. Cas had waited for the brothers all his life, so yes, he probably did sit there for an hour or two. Sam finally re entered the room, and he snapped out of his trance. He was standing in the doorway.

"He's not going for a drive or anything. But he's outside, if you want to talk to him." Sam said, and with no question, Cas could hear him leave the room. He felt himself getting up and walking out of the room and through the door to the outside. Cas was hit with a blast of cold air and the sounds of exploding objects in the distance. He came to a stop when he saw colorful lights fly into the air, popping with a loud bang and scattering it's remains in the air before they dissipated. Cas was left astonished for a few moments before he remembered the word. Fireworks. Human entertainment. July. He looked around before spotting the Impala and the silhouette of a familiar figure leaned against it, standing away from him.

"Dean? Is that you?"Cas started walking over. "Sam told me that I'd find you out here." He saw his head lower, and slouch. Dean didn't answer. "Dean?" He reached the car, and stepped closer to him.

"Dean, I am sor-"

"Don't."

"But-"

"Shut."

"D-"

"Don't. Shut up." Dean slowly looked over at him as he rounded the car toward him. He saw a splash of red on his cheeks, and remembered as he pulled away that he had blushed. Cas looked down. "..Please don't interrupt me. I'm sorry, okay?" He mumbled, hesitantly. Dean fell silent. He couldn't tell if he was just angry or embarrassed. Cas looked back up and slowly reached a hand out and put it on his shoulder. Dean tensed up, looking over at him. He slowly moved his hand hesitantly towards Dean's cheek. He felt Dean's hand curl over his wrist and gently bring it down. "Don't, okay? You.. You make me crazy. Just stop. I can't handle it." He shrugged Cas's hand off of his shoulder and started walking away.

"Handle what, Dean?" He called, curious. "Dean!"

Dean stopped in his tracks. "I can't handle this." He gestured towards hims. "You. Being around you without..." He trailed off, closing his eyes. Cas tilted his head, slowly walking forwards. "Dean? You can tell me, you know." The hunter didn't answer, and crossed his arms in response. Dean must have heard his footsteps coming closer, and walked farther away. Cas sighed in exasperation. "Dean! Please, you know  you can tell me anything, yes?" Dean looked down, letting out a breath of air.

"I know that." He mumbled.

"Without..... oh, son of a bitch." He darted back over to Cas and threw his arms around him, lips connecting. Cas instinctively wrapped his arms around his waist, surprised by the action. Dean pulled him closer, deepening the kiss, and moved backwards so that they were leaned against the Impala. They made out for a few minutes (more like an hour) before they came to their senses and pulled away. Dean smiled and seemed embarrassed, looking down. Cas sighed in relief, and pulled him back towards him into a hug. He felt a chin rest on the top of his head, and buried his face into the front of Dean's neck. He heard him sigh, mumbling his name and hurried apologies. Dean tightened his grip around his back. "Dean.."

Dean's apologies slowed, and he let out a sigh. "I'm sorry, I almost yelled at you. Good thing I turned that anger into love, eh?" He said, slightly joking.

Cas tilted his head again, removing his hands from Dean's waist and stuffing them into the pockets of his coat.  "That is a good thing. What does this mean, Dean?" He asked hesitantly, looking at him. Dean smiled, and untangled himself from Cas.

"It means that we are going to get back in there, and celebrate new years."

Cas obliged quickly as Dean gently grabbed his hand and pulled him back towards the bunker. The door opened with a click and on the couch was a very drunk Sam.

"Oh heyyyyyyyyyyyyyy..." He stood up, words sloppy. "You guys... are so gaaaaaaaaayyyyy...." Sam almost fell over, but Dean loosened his grip on Cas's hand and caught his brother as he fell unconscious. He sighed, then looked over to Cas,  and laughed. Sam let out a slur of incoherent mumbles and a loud snore.

"Gimme a second."

Dean left the room, and for a few minutes, Cas was alone. He walked over to the couch, and sat down, entwining his hands and waited patiently. There were no longer cheering fans, only the sound of a news reporter blabbering nonsense about something called a presidential campaign and elections.  He heard shuffling coming Sam's room and the door clicked open again. Dean walked back into the room and sat down, flopping onto Cas with a sigh. Cas didn't know what to do, so he just sat there with Dean's head on his shoulder, and his arms snaking slowly around his waist. He leaned left so that he fell over, with Dean halfway on top of him. Dean reached over and grabbed the remote, switching it to a new channel. Apparently, the Lion King was on, so that's what they decided to watch. Cas had never seen it before, and was mystified.

"Happy new years, Cas." And with that mumble, the night began again.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Was the ending a bit rushed? I don't know. But I just got the idea to add in Drunk Sam because I was bored and needed a little change. Should I upload weekly, or...?

Prompts and suggestions are appreciated, THANKS!