52. The Little Things

It's been a long time. Have some angst.
Includes spoilers for the latest episodes! Warning!
___________________________

It was, at first, it was the little things that made them irritated.

The glares.

The bitter conversations that did not always end well.

Like the one they were having at the time.

The only one that got way out of hand.

And it started simply with:

"Dean, what did you do to yourself?" A sudden whisk of air brushed his arms as the angel appeared behind him. Dean had just been on a solo hunt. Since the last of the nests of vampires had been eradicated, there hadn't been that much activity, and for Dean, he usually needed something to punch. So when a shapeshifter popped up on their map (or just.. Sam's phone. The British Men of Letters usually weren't that active), he jumped onto it, refusing that Sam come with him.

"No, Sam, I can do it on my own." He said.

And lied.

And nearly died.

And then, there he sat, on the arm of the couch, ignoring Castiel as he touched gingerly at the stab wound in his side. "You stupid, stupid human." And in a flash, the wound had suddenly  disappeared.

"I didn't need your help." He snapped bitterly.

Castiel took his hand back, looking surprised at his sudden lash out. "..What?" He furrowed his eyebrows, stepping back as Dean stood up. The Hunter crossed his arms.

"I. Didn't. Need. Your. Help." With every word, he stepped forwards towards him, a threat.

"You.. did. You very much did. You were going to bleed out, Dean."

He just laughed. "And that's a bad thing?" Castiel stepped back, looking him up and down warily. His eyebrows furrowed once more, the corners of his lips pulled back in a frown. The angel's gaze hardened when Dean just stared.

"Dean."

A growl.

A threat.

A warning.

"Let's.. let's not do this." His hands balled at his sides. Dean responded by also balling his hands by his, not breaking the glare. "Tell me what's happening with you." He commanded gently. He could feel himself being bent down at the angel's will, and he couldn't lie about the intimidation factor Castiel held on him.

Dean seemed to relax only slightly at the question. "You wouldn't know. You've never felt anything before." He spat suddenly, leaf-green eyes hot with anger.

And that's what made him snap.

Anger roared up in Castiel's ears, and as he tried desperately to push it down, a fist was already risen and swinging towards the hunter's face. Dean's reflexes were better than his, despite the fact that he was trained from birth. He ducked down, but at the same time Castiel had bent his own arm in front of his chest, pushing forwards and driving him into the wall.

Dean grunted, a hand clawing at his elbow, which was pinning his neck to the wall. The Hunter took in a sharp breath, choking.

Choking.

Choking.

Castiel let go. His eyes were wide with shock when he realized what he had done. Dean moved out from in front of him and quickly walked towards the door. "Dean-"