17. Summer Zoo Visit

I'm sorry for not writing for awhile! I've been drawing a lot, and I've been enjoying summer. How have your guy's summers been?
___________________________

Cas and Dean are dating.

Well, that's at least what everyone else thinks.

It's true that they admitted their feelings to each other, but not one of them had made a move on each other.

That is, until now.

Dean had a plan, which would most definitely work. Sam was somewhere doing a case on the other side of the country, while Dean and Cas were in Oregon, on a roadtrip. Sam didn't ask them about it, because he knew that they needed to talk. Really badly.

Dean knew that there was a zoo in Oregon, where he would take him for their first date.

"Cas, c'mon, we're going to the zoo."

The ex-angel looked up, confusion set in his eyes. "What? I thought-.. Oh. There is no case here. Okay." Cas stood up and followed him out the door, and Dean was glad he couldn't see the smile on his face. They got into the Impala and Dean drove off towards the zoo, which was about thirty minutes away.

"So... Why are we going to this.. Zoo?"

It clicked inside Dean that the ex-angel probably hadn't gone or seen a zoo before. Plus, to add to the stress, he didn't have an excuse.

"You'll see once we get there." He mumbled, turning down a road. "A-and.. I thought it would be n-nice for us to have a break.." Dean stammered quickly. Cas just stared at him, tilting his head slightly. They reached the zoo. A sign in bright, giant letters welcomed them to the Oregon Zoo.

Once they got into the zoo, after paying the people at the front station-things, Cas still looked confused. "What is a zoo? You haven't told me yet."

Dean led him into the bird exhibit. "It's where they.. Well, atleast this zoo does, raise animals in captivity if they're injured or something. I don't know." Cas half-smiled, reading a sign as they passed. "Are they happy?"

Dean turned to look at him, curious at the question. "I dunno. They should be. Free food!" He heard a snort from Cas. Score.

Apparently there was a bird showing going on, and when they got there, birds of all kinds were perched on branches of trees. It reminded him vaguely of a butterfly exhibit his mom and him went to while his dad was working, before Sam was born and their lives changed forever. The butterflies, well, you, could attract them to yourself and they could sit there on your arms while you take pictures.

Cas's mood shifted from confused to curious to excited in a matter of seconds. Other people were in the exhibit too, but only a few. A tawny owl swiveled its head and looked Cas and him straight in the eyes, before flapping over and landing on Cas's arm.  The ex-Angel's face held no suprise, only curiosity. Dean was freaking out, in his mind, of course.

"Hum.. Hello there." Cas said slowly, before touching it's wing feathers softly with his free hand.

Other people noticed, and started walking over. Dean felt over-worked, before something clawed carefully into his shoulder. "What the-" a parrot had landed on his shoulder. It just tilted its head and stared at him through brown, beady eyes. The owl had leaped off of Cas's shoulder and flown to a group of people. Dean moved closer to him, careful not to disturb the parrot. "Um.. Did you do this?" Cas smirked. "Animals are.. I guess, attracted to me."

Dean didn't notice all the birds flying overhead. "So you are a literal chick-magnet?" Cas shrugged, before nodding.

"Well.. Let's get out of here before people get suspicious. There's got to be a petting zoo around here or something." Dean sighed, automatically grabbing his hand and pulling him out of the exhibit. "It's okay Dean," Dean looked over. "If you want to go home, we can go home."

Dean huffed. They approached the polar bear exhibit. Cas dropped the question.

"Dean, why keep them in glass containers? They are able to break out, yes?" He questioned. Goddamn. Why ask so many questions? Dean looked over and saw his confused face. It almost made him want to stay. Almost. "I dunno. Let's go to the next one."

And so they did. And every time they went to one with animals out of cages, they were approached. He didn't know why the zoo staff hadn't noticed it yet. When they got out, it was darkening outside. The sky was splashed and streaked with red, purple, and a dark blue. Dean led them to the Impala, which was parked outside of the parking lot, cause he didn't want to draw attention to himself and Cas.

"Dean."

He turned.

"Before we go, I would like to express something to you."

Dean leaned on the Impala and crossed his arms. "Okay." He nodded slowly.

Cas stood there. Soon, fluttering sounded above him and a white, small bird landed on his shoulder, and as Cas raised his hand it hopped onto it.

"I would like to commemorate my feelings to you with this dove."

Dean scoffed quietly. "What does a white bird have to do with your feelings?" He felt guilt rush through him after he said that, afraid he had gone a bit to far. Cas chuckled, which relieved him.

"A dove is a symbol of love. Or passion, if you want to take it into a deeper meaning. So, I would like to say 'I love you' with this dove." He answered.  Dean smiled, hiding it by dropping his head. The dove fluttered off. That's damn adorable. Dean took a step forwards and pressed a kiss to his cheek. "That's actually very cute. I love you too, Cas. Though I was afraid to admit it." Before he even finished the sentence, and since his face was still pretty close to Cas's, the ex-angel took the time to kiss him softly on the lips. Dean felt a burst of happiness burst through him, and he gently took Cas by the collar, pulling him closer to him.

Afterwards, they drove home. No pit stops. Sam was there. With a shit-eating grin on his face.

He knew why they were happy.

___________________________
Sorry for not updating! Summer is going well. Sooo.. Yeah.

440 views! Thank you guys! You are still the best!

:3