Long Distance Relationship ↣ Dan

"I miss you," your boyfriend says.

"We've never met." You laugh incredulously.

"I still miss you," he smiles like an idiot, his one dimple showing.

You smile and look down. Despite both of your smiles, a tear slips down your cheek.

"You okay, love?" He tilts his head to the side like a little confused puppy.

Love.

What even is love? How can it be love if we've never seen each other in person? I know it must be love, but...

"It's just..." I sigh and look back up at the screen, at his chocolate brown eyes on the other side of it. "I really really want to see you. In person."

"I do too. But with my-"

"-Job and everything, yeah, I know," you tuck your hair behind your ear. Your boyfriend always says he's busy because of his job, he's traveling because of his job, he can't talk because of his job. "What do you even do?"

Your boyfriend laughs rather nervously and averts his eyes from you. "I can't explain it. Yet."

"Well when can you explain it?" You ask impatiently, tapping your fingers on your desk. "I want to see you!"

"We will see each other," he reassures you. Though, he still doesn't meet your eyes. His looking around nervously, like he's lost or something. "And...and soon."

Speaking of...he's not where he usually is. You Skype all the time, and he's always in his room. Says he has a flatmate, and that he wants to talk to you in private, so he always goes into his room.

Now you're FaceTiming, him using his phone and you using your Mac. He's in a completely different location: a long white hallway.

You squint at your laptop screen. "W-where are you?"

"Can't tell you."

The camera on his end is shaking. You can tell he's moving and not sitting down.

"And you said we'll see each other soon." You scoot to the edge of your desk chair, closer to your laptop. Maybe if I get closer to my laptop, it'll be like I'm closer to him. "How soon?"

"In about..." Your boyfriend drags out the word. "Thirty seconds."

Your eyes widen. "W-what?" You stutter, taken aback by his statement.

"Twenty seconds now," he simply says, his smile growing even wider.

Is he...? Is he serious?!

You jump up so fast, you knock over your desk chair. You rush through your apartment, tripping over a houseplant and almost falling down the stairs.

Without even hesitating, you grab the doorknob of your front door and yank it open.

Standing before you, phone in hand, is your long distance (not so long anymore) boyfriend.

He's so much cuter in person. His hair, his eyes, his smile, everything...he's just beyond words.

"Dan," you breathe, tears rolling down your face.

He opens his arms and pulls you into a tight hug.

"Don't cry, love," his voice cracks as he pulls you even closer.

You simply laugh and bury your face in his chest.

"You're taller in real life," you whisper.

"And you're prettier in real life," Dan whispers back, but he quickly pulls out of the hug. You notice a light blush tinting his cheeks. "I-I didn't mean that you weren't pretty before, I just meant that you're real, not just a p-picture anymore-"

You stand on your tiptoes and cut his rambling off with a kiss.

"You're real," Dan whispers once you pull away. He squeezes his eyes shut and hugs you again. "You're actually real."

fin