Camisado ↣ Dan

hIS naiLS !!
NaILS ??
NAILS ! !

Songfic for "Camisado" by Panic! At The Disco

You narrow your eyes at the IV, squinting to see the measurement. You frown as you write numbers down on your clipboard.

"You haven't been drinking a lot lately," you remark.

"Was that supposed to be a joke?" The patient snaps, turning over in their hospital bed to face you.

You frown at them.

"I'm an alcoholic that's stuck in a hospital and hooked to an I.V. I can't drink anything," they scoff, adverting their eyes from you.

♪The I.V. and your hospital bed♪

"What I meant was," you huff and look at the measurement you wrote down again. "The liquid hasn't moved nearly at all since my last visit. Your body isn't liking what we're putting in it."

The patient crosses their arms. "That's because it's not alcohol," they mutter.

This was no accident, this was a therapeutic chain of events♪

You scowl at the patient before looking down at your clipboard.

Patient Name: Daniel Howell

The very name makes you cringe. You skip his personal information and check the notes that other doctors have written about him.

The only thing that's written under the notes section is a single word:

Alcoholic

"Well," you sigh. "You'll be happy to hear that my visit is over for today."

The patient—Daniel—narrows his eyes at you.

"There's..." He clears his throat. His voice is raspy, and there's dark bags under his eyes. Even if you weren't a doctor, you could still tell: he hasn't been sleeping. "There's nothing you can do for me?"

He doesn't sound like he usually does. His voice holds no anger, no bitterness, not even a hint of sarcasm. He sounds genuinely worried and hopeless.

But you don't let that phase you.

"This is a hospital, Mr. Howell," you say, a stoic expression plastered across your face. "And I am a doctor. Of course there are things I can do for you."

Daniel grits his teeth. "Why don't you do them then?"

Your flat expression remains unmoved. "Because," you state simply. "You never let me."

*~*~*~*

Camisado [kam-uh-sah-doh] / noun
a military attack made at night

It's currently 2:47 a.m.

You walk swiftly through the hallway, your heels clicking on the linoleum floor. The familiar smell of the hospital makes your nose crinkle, but you're used to it.