School Crush ↣ Dan {Requested}

Requested by candlelight_dork . Thanks for the request. I hope you enjoy!

You adjust your bright red blazer and straighten your black tie for the hundredth time this morning. You nervously click your pen repeatedly.

"Will you stop being so nervous, (Y/N)?" Your friend, who's sitting in the desk next to you, leans over and asks. Everyone in the classroom is rowdy and talking loudly, so it's a struggle to hear her.

"Sorry," you reply, smoothing down your plaid skirt. You can't help but feel nervous. Who wouldn't feel nervous on the first day of school?

"It's just the first day of school," your friend shrugs.

The bell suddenly rings and the teacher, a strict and scary professor, enters the classroom. The entire room goes silent.

"You mean the first day of hell," you mutter, shifting uncomfortably in your seat. Luckily you're sitting fairly close to the back, so you can almost avoid the teacher's menacing glare.

"I am Professor Arkwright," the instructor announces a loud, stern voice. "And this-" he turns around and writes Introduction to Law on the chalkboard. "-Is Introduction to Law."

He adjusts his glasses and looks around the room. "You all are Year Elevens, correct?"

He is correct, but no one dares to speak.

The professor clears his throat and glares at the students before continuing. "I have come from the University of Manchester especially to prepare you for the law courses you will be taking at university next year."

Professor Arkwright narrows his eyes and scans the classroom.

His eyes rest on the empty desk next to you.

He swiftly power walks over to his desk and checks a paper. The class roster and seating chart, you presume.

"Howell," he declares, looking up from his papers. "Howell Comma Daniel. Where is he?"

'Did he actually pronounce the comma?' You think to yourself.

As if on cue, the door to the classroom opens.

In walks a lanky boy with brunette fringe swept across his forehead. His white dress shirt is untucked, and his tie is out of place. He's holding a phone in his hand. Even from your seat in the back, you see a black earring shining in his ear.

Howell, Daniel.

"Howell!" Professor Arkwright announces loudly. "So glad you could finally join us!"

Howell Comma Daniel nervously swallows and goes to put his phone in his back pocket.

"Ah ah ah," the professor says. He holds his hand out, and Howell reluctantly places his phone in the professor's outstretched palm.

Howell, Daniel's eyes dart around the room, presumably looking for an empty seat. For a second you think his eyes land on you, but then you figure out he's looking at the empty desk next to you.

"And," the professor continues. "I don't think these-" he points at Howell Comma Daniel's earrings. "Are dress code."

Howell, Daniel stares blankly at him.

Professor Arkwright leans forward and gets close to his face. "Take them out," he says. "Then take your seat."

Howell nervously adjusts his backpack before starting back to the empty desk next to you, fiddling with his earrings while he's walking.