Renew Your Mind

Renew Your Mind

29/8/2016

Our mind governs our thoughts. Our thoughts determine our actions. 

Romans 12:2 NKJV

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God. 

The Lord does not want us to conform to the ways of the world. Instead, He wants us to be transformed. 

How do we transform? 

We transform by the renewing of our minds. 

How do we renew our minds?

We need to control our thoughts. 

How do we control our thoughts?

We need to determine what we allow into our mind.

Psalm 101:1-4 NSAB

I will sing of lovingkindness and justice,
To You, O Lord, I will sing praises.

I will give heed to the blameless way.
When will You come to me?
I will walk within my house in the integrity of my heart.

I will set no worthless thing before my eyes;
I hate the work of those who fall away;
It shall not fasten its grip on me.

A perverse heart shall depart from me;
I will know no evil.

Psalm 101:2

I will give heed to the blameless way.
When will You come to me?
I will walk within my house in the integrity of my heart.

We must give heed to the blameless way and walk in the integrity of our hearts. We must live a righteous life according to the Righteousness of Christ. We must obey His Words and follow His Ways. 

Psalm 101:3

I will set no worthless thing before my eyes;
I hate the work of those who fall away;
It shall not fasten its grip on me.

Our thoughts stem from our mind. What we set before our eyes determine what we think. When we expose the worthless garbage of the world before our eyes and into our ears, we internalise worthless, harmful and destructive thoughts and lies, clouding us from the Truth of God's Word, and thus we fall into the temptations of the world and conform to the ways of the world. 

We need to be rid of these nonsense and cut out all the evil fallen ways of the world so that it does not fasten its grip on our hearts and mind, influencing us to go in the wrong path. Beware of the distractions of the world. 

Psalm 101:4

A perverse heart shall depart from me;
I will know no evil.

We must deliberately ensure and consciously decide to not be apart of anything evil and follow the righteous path of the Lord. We must follow the guidance of the Mind of Christ and the Heart of Jesus.

We need to determine what we allow into our mind. We should not allow evil to enter. We need to dwell richly in the things of the Lord. 

Colossian 3:16

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

We need to meditate on the Word of God, day and night. 

Joshua 1:8 NKJV

This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.

Psalm 1:2 NKJV

But his delight is in the law of the Lord, And in His law he meditates day and night.

Instead of filling your mind with garbage and the worthless things of the world, fill your mind with the things above and meditate on good things. 

Colossians 3:2

Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth.

Philippians 4:8 NKJV

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.

We must have the Mind of Christ governing us. 

1 Corinthians 2:16b NKJV But we have the mind of Christ. 

We have the mind of Christ. We received the mind of Christ when we were saved, and the Holy Spirit came to dwell in us. 

So, if we have received Jesus as our Saviour, He is our Lord. We must then seek the things that He values, the things above. 

Colossians 3:1-17

If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God. 2 Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth. 3 For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. 4 When Christ who is our life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory.

5 Therefore put to death your members which are on the earth: fornication, uncleanness, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. 6 Because of these things the wrath of God is coming upon the sons of disobedience, 7 in which you yourselves once walked when you lived in them.

8 But now you yourselves are to put off all these: anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy language out of your mouth. 9 Do not lie to one another, since you have put off the old man with his deeds, 10 and have put on the new man who is renewed in knowledge according to the image of Him who created him, 11 where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcised nor uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave nor free, but Christ is all and in all.

12 Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, longsuffering; 13 bearing with one another, and forgiving one another, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do. 14 But above all these things put on love, which is the bond of perfection. 15 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful. 16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. 17 And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

Instead of conforming to the world, we must conform to the image of Christ. 

Romans 12:2 NKJV

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God. 

Romans 8:29

For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Colossians 3:10

and have put on the new man who is renewed in knowledge according to the image of Him who created him,

Therefore, we must transform our hearts and minds into that of the likeness of Christ by seeking to be renewed in the things above, in His Word, and by His Holy Spirit. When we do all this, we will bring Glory to God.